Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Pluto

Sheffield-sized boats

Featured Posts

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:10, Roy Batty said:

I, and a couple of friends, saved a Sheffield keel (that looks to be from the 40s or 50s) from being scrapped last summer because of a rotten hull. We bought her and intend in the coming months to have her completely underplated and touch up the superstructure so that she will last another 80 years. 

I am very familiar with 'overplated' but I have not come across the term 'underplated' before. Can you clarify what this means please :captain:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I am very familiar with 'overplated' but I have not come across the term 'underplated' before. Can you clarify what this means please :captain:

Hi Pete, 

 

She will be overplated. I am not sure whether my phone auto-corrected my writings or if I had a short mental aberration. 

 

😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roy Batty said:

Hi Pete, 

 

She will be overplated. I am not sure whether my phone auto-corrected my writings or if I had a short mental aberration. 

 

😂

Thanks, that makes more sense.

 

I am not too sure that overplating will extend the hull life expectancy by another 80 years but I wish you well with your project.

 

For your records A39 was built under W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. 'Yard Number' 429, being launched on 03 April 1933 and completed on 10 April 1933 (nominal dimensions 61'0'' x 14'0½'' x 4'8'') - with its first engine being an 18hp Widdop :captain:

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Thanks, that makes more sense.

 

I am not too sure that overplating will extend the hull life expectancy by another 80 years but I wish you well with your project.

 

For your records A39 was built under W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. 'Yard Number' 429, being launched on 03 April 1933 and completed on 10 April 1933 (nominal dimensions 61'0'' x 14'0½'' x 4'8'') - with its first engine being an 18hp Widdop :captain:

Great information, thank you. Are there records kept of these build details in books or files kept somewhere? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roy Batty said:

Are there records kept of these build details in books or files kept somewhere? 

There are not records for every single boat, but those that do exist are scattered across archives and collections throughout the country. As far as W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. are concerned there are numerous documents housed at Cheshire Records Office - but I am fortunate in having a few odd notes at home :captain:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I am very familiar with 'overplated' but I have not come across the term 'underplated' before. Can you clarify what this means please :captain:

Thank you so much! As a Continental member I had been desperately searching in all online dictionaries... 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2018 at 13:59, Roy Batty said:

That is so cool to know. 

 

Well rest assured that A39 will live on. She is now on the Thames awaiting welding. 

 

Thank you. 

 

Regards

 

Roy

Hi Roy

 

Nice interesting boat there. 

 

I noticed it at 4allmarine. 

 

Not sure if you have seen it out of water yet but I believe that replating may be the way forward and may also be very expensive. It has already been subjected to extensive over plating which has  not been helpful :(

 

lovely engine though ! 

 

Quite a bit more discussion and history here 

 

http://thunderboat.boards.net/thread/1604/leeds-liverpool-shortboats?page=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Roy Batty

From another guy called Roy posting as Angelo on Thunderboats. If you connect to this site there are several photos of the ex B I Fleet. under heading Leeds & Liverpool Short Boats. On page 5 are two of my favourite photos showing A 40 loaded with 50 tons of Grain for delivery to either ex Appleby's Daisyfield Mill or Greenwoods Mill both in Blackburn the boat in the distance on one photo is the A 38. There are also on that forum several photos of A 39 carrying coal on the Westwood Power Station run at Wigan.

My connection with these photos is because my Father Peter Gibbons was the Captain of the A 40.

Best Wishes for a successful restoration. 

 

Edited by royg
Post duplicate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, royg said:

Hi Roy Batty

From another guy called Roy posting as Angelo on Thunderboats. If you connect to this site there are several photos of the ex B I Fleet. under heading Leeds & Liverpool Short Boats. On page 5 are two of my favourite photos showing A 40 loaded with 50 tons of Grain for delivery to either ex Appleby's Daisyfield Mill or Greenwoods Mill both in Blackburn the boat in the distance on one photo is the A 38. There are also on that forum several photos of A 39 carrying coal on the Westwood Power Station run at Wigan.

My connection with these photos is because my Father Peter Gibbons was the Captain of the A 40.

Best Wishes for a successful restoration. 

 

Wow, that is amazing. I will get on to that immediately. 

 

Thank you Royg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.