Do You Have VHF Onboard ?

NB Willawaw

Featured Posts

There used to be a convention that if your tiller bar was in place you were still 'in progress', if it was removed you had stopped for the duration. Much simpler & cheaper than VHF etc., but sadly it has been forgotten by all but a few.

Tim

:smiley_offtopic:

We still do this...wish more people did!....makes life loads easier...!

Cheers

Gareth

This is a prime example why I would like to see some marinas fit Channel M VHF in their office. A tight entrance and no telephone number on the signage at the front door. The ability to make a quick call to the marina office to ask if they have a berth for a few nights would save a wasted approach through that gap !!

oundlemarinaentrance.jpg

six seconds on Google reveals Oundle Marina are 01832 272762

Richard

An opinion on what ?

An opinion on 'Oh, if only they had had VHF, I could have called them up'

In reality it is 'Oh, if only they had VHF, and I didn't have the internet and a mobile phone to use instead, I could have used the VHF to call them up'

In my opinion, you are picking evidence that vaguely supports your argument, discounting anything that doesn't and ignoring people who don't agree with you.

For example:

Uplands Marina at Anderton have at least said they would give it some serious consideration.

You are choosing to see this as a solid brick in your agument. If it helps, If you hear me say 'I'll give that some serious consideration', it means 'how do I get this nutter off the phone'

Richard

Further to the tiller on/off. There was I believe an other code, with the rear cabin doors/slide. Wether you wished to welcome visitors, or weather you might be 'other wise engaged' with the other half...

Further to the tiller on/off. There was I believe an other code, with the rear cabin doors/slide. Wether you wished to welcome visitors, or weather you might be 'other wise engaged' with the other half...

The original question was:

Do You have VHF Onboard ?

Would You Like Marinas To Use It ?

It was a question directed at those who already have VHF - I thought I'd already explained that before.

If a boater doesn't have VHF, I wouldn't expect them to fit it purely for this - I thought I'd mentioned this before as well.

You don't have a VHF and prefer to use the internet, which is your choice but not really relevant.

It's a bit like me having an opinion on what colour they paint the ladies lavatory at the marina.

You made your opinion clear in an earlier response - fine.

I don't use a smartphone when steering so wouldn't be able to google it without mooring first - also fine.

It would be nice to hear other less vocal members opinions on these topics, rather than the same overbearing personalities. Maybe even people who have VHF already.

I've tried to post different aspects of the subject to make it more rounded and interested.

I'm not trying to force anything - it was just an idea.

I wonder how much of this is people hijacking a thread to prove they have made the right decision in not having VHF on their canal boat.

I don't think I've ignored or discounted anybody - there is no right or wrong answer as some will think it could be a good idea for some marinas and some will think its not necessary and is already covered by being able to phone them up, knocking on their front door and asking or even never going inside marinas at all.

Edited by NB Willawaw

It would be nice to hear other less vocal members opinions on these topics, rather than the same overbearing personalities.

No and No from me too. We carry Pearson's guides, they have marinas' phone numbers in the back of them. If I need to contact a marina before entering it, I can ask the OH to drive the boat while I look it up in the Pearson's and phone it (or the other way round), and its really not an issue. So no need to use the internet while on the canal. Having said that, I do plan my trips in quite a detailed way, so I'd pretty much know what I'll be doing the next day, where we'll be stopping, etc etc. If there was a planned stop at a marina, I'd get their contact details in readiness, etc. For locks - PMR if there's a staircase, or flight, or its busy and the one driving the boat can't see ahead; for simpler locks then PMR isn't really needed. Can't think of any other uses on the canal network where Marine VHF would be needed....

The original question was:

Do You have VHF Onboard ?

Would You Like Marinas To Use It ?

<snip>

It would be nice to hear other less vocal members opinions on these topics, rather than the same overbearing personalities. Maybe even people who have VHF already.

OK then. To answer your questions - Yes (except I am not trained and licenced to use it but others of the crew are) and No.

But frankly I think this is a solution looking for a problem.

David

And if you dont have a tiller ?

Tim

No and no.

And my tiller doesn't have a removable section, so I hope I haven't held anyone up waiting for me to move off when I'm sound asleep! :D

Ah, but does it have an attachable section (that you just haven't found yet) - that would make steering a bit easier if it did :lol:

and NO & NO

To anyone who has used marine VHF before and has it fitted to their inland waterways craft, its a no brainer, being infinitely easier to use than a phone.

Getting marina's to monitor VHF is maybe an issue, but leaving it turned up loud on a dedicated channel it would be no easier to ignore than a telephone. Most coastal marina operators carry hand held's as well in a waist belt. Especially useful for directing you directly to your allocated berth rather than having to tie up on a waiting dock first.