Slough Arm weed clearance

roggie

Featured Posts

Spotted this nifty looking vehicle DSC_0534.jpg about to get into the cut at High Line on the Slough Arm last week - they were about to take it into the canal to try to clear the weeds that love the stretch where all the boats are moored... a week later when we came back the water is murky, whereas before it was very clear. I guess it takes a while to clear afterwards. Trouble is that they will soon grow back - a CART person further up the GU said that the arm was one of the deepest canals on the system in the old days - not any more of course but word has it that it will be dredged come April - so all down to the basin then?

Can't seem to get the image to show up - see here

Edited by roggie

Spotted this nifty looking vehicle DSC_0534.jpg about to get into the cut at High Line on the Slough Arm last week - they were about to take it into the canal to try to clear the weeds that love the stretch where all the boats are moored... a week later when we came back the water is murky, whereas before it was very clear. I guess it takes a while to clear afterwards. Trouble is that they will soon grow back - a CART person further up the GU said that the arm was one of the deepest canals on the system in the old days - not any more of course but word has it that it will be dredged come April - so all down to the basin then?

Can't seem to get the image to show up - see here

I went down as far as the first winding hole after M25 on Saturday. Caught lots of weed and it may have been me stirring it up by having to continually go into reverse and then forward, that made it somewhat murky. It looked clear most of the way down!

Mike

The moorings are just round the next bend - the part of the canal you were on is relatively clear compared to the rest of the canal (well before the clearance.... ) normally OK if you stick to the middle of the channel - some serious drawings (graffiti?) under the M25 bridge, almost worth the trip down there just to see them. Its another 30 minutes to the next winding hole past the 50 double moored boats. Plants like grey water obviously - as do fish as there are loads down that way...all different sizes including some easily 9 inch ones - crystal clear water meant easy to see.