Running Boaters

Featured Posts

I'm a boater and a runner. Not sure how many of us have this need to ditch the tiller for the towpath, but I think a thread for running boaters would be good. As I travel the system there's lots of new routes to be found, both on and off the towpath. Wouldn't it be useful to swap ideas and tips? Hopefully I won't be the only one to contribute, and maybe we can even rival the CWDF Banter with a CWDF Canter!

Some of my regulars around Tamworth area.

Fazeley onto the Coventry canal, past Alvecote to Pooley Fields park. This previous Colliery site has some great slag heaps that allow for some intense hill work. It's the only real climb that I've found for miles around (I live in Scotland and hills are the norm). It's about an 8 mile round trip plus anything done the park.

Take the train from Tamworth to Brum then an interesting run back on the Birmingham & Fazeley. A great mix of urban and country. Skimpy running shorts on the Tamworth train are not to be recommended so I've left clothes etc at the C&RT services shed at the top of Farmers Bridge with a note and they've always been left for me to collect later. It's about 14 miles back so makes for a good half marathon training run.

Also found:

Watermead Country Park next to the Hope & Anchor at Syston on the Soar. It's a bit more clinical than Pooley Fields with more Tarmac tracks but pleasant.

The towpath on the leicester section of the GU is dreadful in places, you're risking going in the cut, especially round the Husbands Bosworth area.

I'm not sure if I'm surprised or not that no one else has posted in your thread... I know a couple of runners post here, Andy Watson and Mad Runner off the top of my head.

Running's not for me, I must admit. I have tried it a few times in the past when I was fitter and tried to do it 'properly' etc, but I never get any kind of balance and flow with it. I tend to look (and feel) a bit like someone who is drowning, but without the water...

Unless the zombies are coming, there's no good enough reason to run, in my book! :D

In my bid to get fit I now use the work gym. How come I can run on the running machine set on hill function for over 45min without any trouble, yet when I run on the tow path I only go for 15min before I get a stitch and run out of breath. Very frustrating

Darren

I run, but I'm no runner. It's free exercise so I force myself to do it.

In my bid to get fit I now use the work gym. How come I can run on the running machine set on hill function for over 45min without any trouble, yet when I run on the tow path I only go for 15min before I get a stitch and run out of breath. Very frustrating

Darren

Because the running machine is easier. Once the belt is moving you don't have to push as hard. I prefer the machine!

I've got a folding workout bench and some weights on the boat - although they haven't been out from under the bed for a few months now... :blush:

I've just uploaded a couple of videos to youtube taken on my phone. First time I've managed to do that. Let's see if they work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qFsFYcKfqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ehcPxkPiQ

Edited by blackrose

Come on now folks, it's not really that bad. Ange, I'm sure Darren would let you have a whiff of his oxygen if you needed it. And starry, Lycra is not compulsory. Didn't Jade Goodie attempt to run the London marathon in a comfy flannelette track suit and some light summer plimsoles? .....mind you, I think she was carted off in an ambulance half way in.

As for the runners shits, never been a problem......but I have spewed on several occasions. Once in big style on the Mall, (hoping queenie didn't notice) and once spectacularly at the finish line of the Brum & black country half just outside the Malt House pub on Brindlay Place. No, don't know what all the fuss is about, it's a perfectly sensible past time.

Blackrose, well done on the boat gym, u should take that to dragons den before midland swindlers get in on the act. Can see an opening at next years Crick show for this!

Goiridh, Starry is right....I'm a boater and a runner, in case you hadn't guessed. :P

I run a lot around Ely and did my first half marathon Cambridge on March 11 this year. I don't really have any good routes though other than up and down the River Ouse and up what must be the only hill in Cambridgeshire.

Get a great buzz from it all and find it a revelation that I can do this at my stage in life. I'm not fast mind.

i used to run lots, fell off it about 12 yrs ago. i did the great north run last year (no training, duh!, but it was for our local dog and cat shelter, as is this year's attempt)

this year i've been training for about 7 weeks now, 4 weeks into ryan halls training plan from runners world. once the gnr is out of the way i'm planning to do a run coast to coast on the forth and clyde in october to raise a bit for the seagull trust. it's a lot harder than i remember from 12 years ago though

paul

Hi Paul, I've don't the GNR a few times too, absolutely fantastic for atmosphere!

The forth & Clyde coast to coast sounds great, I'm going to look into that. The Burmingham and Black Country half is a good canal run. Starts at the BW yard beyond Wolverhampton top lock and finishes at Brindley place area.

Quick wheese.

Make a big hole in the middle of the bottom of your boat, build a wall around it higher that the water level outside similar to your weedbox or a sailing dinghies centreboard case. Get in this hole with your running shoes on and run the boat along. You can then carry on cruising whilst running saving a lot of fuel and keeping you fit and healthy. :wacko:

ps If you get out of your depth wear Flippers.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 2

Quick wheese.

Make a big hole in the middle of the bottom of your boat, build a wall around it higher that the water level outside similar to your weedbox or a sailing dinghies centreboard case. Get in this hole with your running shoes on and run the boat along. You can then carry on cruising whilst running saving a lot of fuel and keeping you fit and healthy. :wacko:

ps If you get out of your depth wear Flippers.

Thanks for that. This idea can of course be elaborated on with heated hand rails around the the hole to hang on to and afford you more pushing thrust. And you wouldn't be likely to get hot and bothered while running your boat along. But at any time you can have nice private cold bath, or indeed a hot one if you tip some hot water in it and keep your legs up. :mellow:

• Greenie 1

Thanks for that. This idea can of course be elaborated on with heated hand rails around the the hole to hang on to and afford you more pushing thrust. And you wouldn't be likely to get hot and bothered while running your boat along. But at any time you can have nice private cold bath, or indeed a hot one if you tip some hot water in it and keep your legs up. :mellow:

excellent biz :lol:

I think this idea would be ideal for Starry cos she states that she can't keep her composure whilst running about and gets embarrassed, well she could run to her hearts content in private in her own boat, making tea at the same time if her kettles within reach and of course erm toilet matters wouldn't matter either. All this whilst cruising along. :mellow:

What about a treadmill linked to a paddle at the back of h boat, I recall seeing a paddle wheel driven boat on the GU once. This way you could keep dry and maybe also generate some electricity.

I think a lot of people have made pedal powered boats look at Peddloes. There was a tandem style two bikes side by side boat with the chainwhheels turning a paddle wheel. And of course the little Kiddies boats with paddles turned by hand.

Is it just my perception or do runners always look in a world of pain? It doesn't sell it to me I've got to say.

Plus I get puffed out very quickly!

That's right - world of pain! Sometimes I can be running and be thinking about other stuff and then it's quite therapeutic.

But if you get puffed out quickly it means you're unfit.

I think this idea would be ideal for Starry cos she states that she can't keep her composure whilst running about and gets embarrassed, well she could run to her hearts content in private in her own boat, making tea at the same time if her kettles within reach and of course erm toilet matters wouldn't matter either. All this whilst cruising along. :mellow:

You misunderstand me Biz. I'm actually more concerned about giving myself a black eye. :D If I embarrassed that easily, I'd never make it swimming. :D (Not in the canal.)

You misunderstand me Biz. I'm actually more concerned about giving myself a black eye. :D If I embarrassed that easily, I'd never make it swimming. :D (Not in the canal.)

If you're into swimming, why not try this:

swim.jpg

Hi Paul, I've don't the GNR a few times too, absolutely fantastic for atmosphere!

The forth & Clyde coast to coast sounds great, I'm going to look into that. The Burmingham and Black Country half is a good canal run. Starts at the BW yard beyond Wolverhampton top lock and finishes at Brindley place area.

there's a video on youtube of a gent doing the forth and clyde run for his martial arts club, i'll see if i can find a link