Anyone moored at calder valley Marine, apperly bridge?

Gazboatman

Featured Posts

I'm moored about 20 mins away and went there today to fill my water tank, I've only ever been there once to buy diesel and wasn't too sure if they had a water point, on my arrival there was another boat, so I moored opposite and waited my turn. I did ask the chap who was tying his boat up, if there was a water point there, he said there was but you needed another key to use it and could only have it open when the chandlers was open, then he went round the corner and came back and said the chandlers was open and the caretaker was going to be there until 3:30 and as it was about 2:40 I had plenty of time. I thanked him and waited until he's moved on.

So 5 minutes later he untied and moved on so over I went and tied up, as I was tying up I spotted the caretaker who had filled my diesel tank up a couple of months previously, and went over to him and asked kindly if he could unlock the water so I could fill up. His reply was, " I haven't got a key mate" and "they close at 3pm and won't open it for anyone" I then said "Hmmm, you work here don't you?" to which he replied "no not me" this confused me a little as he'd filled my diesel tank up a while back, although the boat looked completely different as we had completely redone the outside of the boat so it was a different colour and looked nothing like it did last time we were there.

Anyway by now I was getting the picture he was just being awkward and just didn't want to let us fill our tank up even though it was 2:50, Once I explained I knew he worked there and asked what the problem was in unlocking the water point. He kept telling me he hasn't got a key and we could get water out of the toilet block which our key fitted. Whilst I went in there to find nothing but taps, my brother had found the water point hadn't been locked correctly and we could use it.

So we were filling our a tank, and I noticed him stood near his car watching us, and to be honest he'd got me so mad I went up and asked what that was all about and asked why he's gone out of his way to be awkward and stop us getting water, he then said "I don't want you here" so I asked why, so he then said "I don't like the look of you"!!! Now I'd done nothing wrong at all apart from try get some water, I'd lost my rag a tad after hearing that, and told him what I thought of him. And also wrote the number down for the marine and will be phoning them tomorrow letting them know about his behaviour.

Sorry about the long story but he ruined what was a great day up until that point.

Anyone had any dealings with this person or moored there and know what his problem is?

Ha Ha - I had a winter mooring there a few years back and your tale does not surprise me. Often the person manning the shop would just go home early, or come in late, or just not turn up at all. I dont know who the guy was i think they have a high turnover of staff

They only sell at 60/40 as well dont they

oh happy days

Ha Ha - I had a winter mooring there a few years back and your tale does not surprise me. Often the person manning the shop would just go home early, or come in late, or just not turn up at all. I dont know who the guy was i think they have a high turnover of staff

They only sell at 60/40 as well dont they

oh happy days

The nice chap who tried to make me die of thirst actually lives on site in a tatty boat, that's where he was scurrying of to when I spotted him. and yes the diesel is 60/40.

He was stood right at the side of the water point with a big bunch of keys in his hand telling me to use the toilet block and get water out of the taps! :banghead:

I'm sure if he was a bus driver he'd be the type that would sit at the bus stop and drive off laughing when he seen someone running to get on it.

Edited by Gazboatman

We last passed here last year - keen though not desperate to buy some diesel - according to the info. we had they should have been open, however there was not a person in sight...

aside that is from about 5 fire fighters kicking their heels - we didn't ask but just boated on...

Am I entitled to use this marinas water point if I'm not moored there?

The toilet block and elsan were all opened with the BW key, but the water point had another key.

I dont know. They let me when i wasn't moored there the first time i went past & stopped for coal and diesel (which i didnt buy there). But that was the nice chap with the rod stuart hair & he stopped working there shortly after

Am I entitled to use this marinas water point if I'm not moored there?

The toilet block and elsan were all opened with the BW key, but the water point had another key.

One point to remember is that all 'commercial' water supplies are metered, so water you use from their tap will be costing the marina operators a small amount of money. I expect most will be quite OK about you using their water point if you are spending money with them, less so if you're just passing by & want water.

Tim

I think we hit it lucky - the shop was open (we bought a fender) and the woman in the shop was pretty helpful with the key.

I assumed that it mustn't be a BW waterpoint. One along there would be handy - I seem to remember there's a bit of a gap between waterpoints, which is why we needed to use the Marina one.

We filled with diesel there last summer as I've got a second tank for the generator I asked for it to be at 0% with no problem.

Regards

Pete

yes, they will do jerry cans at 0% as well, otherwise it's 60/40

Apparently 'the governor' had some bother with the VAT in the past & doesn't want to take any chances

The old boy further down the cut would sell me 30/70 but not 20/80 - they just make their own rules up round there it seems

yes, they will do jerry cans at 0% as well, otherwise it's 60/40

Apparently 'the governor' had some bother with the VAT in the past & doesn't want to take any chances

The old boy further down the cut would sell me 30/70 but not 20/80 - they just make their own rules up round there it seems

Sorry to cut in on this - but I've heard the same thing said about this being why sellers won't sell at anything else other than 60/40.

It's a buyers declaration not a sellers. I think sellers get themselves in trouble only because they don't ensure the paperwork is in order.

I can't recall when ever a seller has verified our boat number or name or asked for any verification of our address or name.

Sorry to cut in on this - but I've heard the same thing said about this being why sellers won't sell at anything else other than 60/40.

It's a buyers declaration not a sellers. I think sellers get themselves in trouble only because they don't ensure the paperwork is in order.

I can't recall when ever a seller has verified our boat number or name or asked for any verification of our address or name.

it's a forum, you're allowed ;)

You're right, it's a rubbish excuse but it's not worth arguing the point with them. I just buy elsewhere

It was always going to be a sticky issue.

I have seen boaters sail into the marina and ask for 100% 'non-propulsion'

How does that work?

My take -

It's their declaration, sellers are not the eyes and ears of HMRC.

Lazy sellers who cannot be bothered to ensure the paperwork is completed properly may get grief from HMRC - any false decelerations are an issue between the buyer and HMRC.

Poorly completed paperwork of course may hamper a prosecution which is possibly why some sellers claim 'to have had grief from HMRC' and default to only selling at 60/40 because this is unlikely to arouse any interest from HMRC.

Edited by The Dog House

It was always going to be a sticky issue.

I have seen boaters sail into the marina and ask for 100% 'non-propulsion'

How does that work?

There's a number of possible reasons, but, as MJG says, us diesel retailers are not there to police it, we only have get the customer to sign a declaration using HMRC's wording. The customer makes a declaration; it is for the customer to justify it, should they ever be asked to do so.

I filled both tanks at Reedley Marina on the L & L last year and despite telling him in advance that one tank was for a generator and thus 'duty free' when I came to pay he insisted that HMRC at told him that only residential boats could claim this. After a lot of argument we combined the 2 totals and I paid at 20/80. As the gennie tank had used a lot more I guess I was the winner.

Regards

Pete

This raises a debate I've been having with the staff at the Marina we use - is it legal for the seller to insist on 60/40?

Not sure about the legality but HMRC could/should take an interest as it would be depriving them of of revenue if somebody wanted to declare 100% propulsion and they said 'no you can't do that it has to be 60% propulsion with 40% domestic' or nothing.

Not sure about the legality but HMRC could/should take an interest as it would be depriving them of of revenue if somebody wanted to declare 100% propulsion and they said 'no you can't do that it has to be 60% propulsion with 40% domestic' or nothing.

How can you be depriving them of revenue by declaring 100% propulsion, as I understand it it attracts a higher rate

How can you be depriving them of revenue by declaring 100% propulsion, as I understand it it attracts a higher rate

In this case being discussed, the seller will only sell at 60/40, therefore, well you know the rest.

Martyn

You wouldn't be - but the seller would if he would only sell you 60% of the fuel at the higher rate.

This raises a debate I've been having with the staff at the Marina we use - is it legal for the seller to insist on 60/40?

As I understand it - a retailer can choose to price his fuel any way he wishes, and he can also choose (IF he so wishes) on a particular split. (such as 60/40%)

However, it is the buyer whom is responsible for purchasing the fuel at the correct split for his usage - and it would be the buyer whom is contravening HMRC regs if he purchases 60/40 split knowing that to be incorrect.

It is therefore the buyers responsibility to either persuade the seller to sell at the split he (the buyer) requires - - or buy from a different retailer