Hemel Hempstead

Glenn&Karen

Featured Posts

Where is good to moor in Hemel Hempstead overnight? Thanks

Depends on how you define Hemel!

Personally I would stop either below lock 60 and visit the Three Horse Shoes or near lock 59 and visit the Anchor or White Horse.

Or the other side of Hemel there is a very good veggie restaurant just by Apsley marina

Depends a little on which night, Fridays and Saturdays are noisier - although the main town is largely away from the canal. We've moored below Fishery lock, not far from the Fishery pub on Boxmoor, before now, and above the next lock down (after Station Road) - I think this is the quieter location, but even then you may be disturbed by traffic on the A4251. The other place we've moored is in Apsley, both above and below Apsley lock - although getting a space can sometimes be a problem. Above Fishery lock is OK, but the West Coast Main line is very near.

Depends on why you are mooring there - do you need to get somewhere in Hemel? If not, what about below Nash Mills locks - or out towards Kings Langley - or in the other direction, at Winkwell?

I work in Hemel, we've moored there several times (sometimes near to Fishery Road so that I can get in to work easily). While we've been disturbed by emergency vehicles on the A4251 on a Friday night, it's not somewhere that I generally think of as a no-go area.

Cheers

Cath

PS - are you coming through Hemel? Which way are you heading?

Thanks. We are moored in Berkhampsted tonight. Want to moor Hemel area tomorrow night. Heading south. No boats around at all. Haven't seen another moving boat since early afternoon. Makes locking harder and slower work!

I've just had a 10 day break going from Uxbridge to Cowroast and return. Hardly saw any boats on the move. Julie did nearly nearly all the locks alone. (She won't do speedwheel yet!) Weather has been great since we got back home!!!

Thanks. We are moored in Berkhampsted tonight. Want to moor Hemel area tomorrow night. Heading south. No boats around at all. Haven't seen another moving boat since early afternoon. Makes locking harder and slower work!

Short day then :lol:

Berko is only a couple of hours from Hemel

Can't understand why anyone would want to stop in Hemel and I live there

Personally from Berko next stop for us on a NB would be somewhere well south of Rickmansworth

There is always plenty of space above Fishery Lock and we have moored there many times without any problems (despite living & mooring in Berkhamsted). As Cath mentioned, there is some noise from the road and the trains, but it is perfectly tolerable.

Apart from there, in terms of mooring space and location, I would either try above Nash Mills or above Kings Langley locks.

Chris G

Thanks for the advice. We moored just after the fisheries lock. And we got a tv signal to watch the olympics opening ceremony. All was fine until Paul McCartney came on!

Yes, some people don't know when to stop!