Notary

Sandysoo

Featured Posts

I need a notary to deal with my purchase over in NL. Any recommendations?

I used a UK notary once for a transaction in Spain (where notaries seem to be used in transactions where we would use a solicitor) and IIRC I just looked up the nearest one in Yellow Pages.

Alternatively search The Notaries Society for one that meets your needs.

I need a notary to deal with my purchase over in NL. Any recommendations?

Just an idea but I would always check whether the receipient actually requires a Notary or whether a Solicitor or Commissioners for Oaths signature would suffice. You'll find it much much cheaper if they will accept the latter.

Just dealt with a timeshare sale in the USA where my client was asked to have her signature Notorised over here. It was going to cost £200 but a quick call to the states confirmed that a Commissioner for Oaths signature was equally acceptable and bingo - a saving of £186.

Charged the client £200 for that bit of advice before anyone gets in with the cheap shots!

Boondock

Re notary publics, and before I forget everything, years ago in the early 1960's I was a "water clerk" in a City of London Shipbrokers, a water or boarding clerk was the man who met the vessel's on arrival and gave the Master his mail, cash etc., and dealt with all the crew requirements which were quite often medical, say no more! In those far off days the Master of the vessel had to attend the London customs house in Lower Thames Street to make a report of his arrival and details of the voyage plus a full cargo manifest. A lot of the vessels we dealt with were often war built Liberty ships and had loaded timber in British Columbia with about one third of their cargo on.deck. Obviously in a voyage of over 8,000 miles there was a risk of loss or damage so for insurance purposes Master were obliged to "Make a note of protest against any bad weather encountered on the voyage". This was performed at the premises of Cheesewright Murly, a "Notary Public" situated in Philpotts Lane near the customs house. It was written down in a large leather bound tome with a pre-printed standard wording, just fill in the blanks in copperplate of course, and even in 1960's the clerks were sitting on tall stools and desks altho' I don't remember any quill pens! I seem to recollect the fee was something like two guineas. I see Cheesewrights are still going tho' doubt of anybody there nowadays would know how to accept or remember a note of protest.

Realise not very relevant to inland waterways but hope an old codgers ramblings has not bored too many people!

Cheers

Mike

What is a notary and why do you need one for a boat purchase?

Mike