Free phone numbers

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

Not a big problem but one that's starting to nip. I keep seeing 0800 and 0303 numbers to contact various C&RT departments. Now most of these numbers need to be used whilst I'm on my boat and hence on my mobile. Any body got a list of proper numbers for these supposed free numbers that I could use on my contract. I have searched the forum but not found the answer.

Thanks

Graham

Not a big problem but one that's starting to nip. I keep seeing 0800 and 0303 numbers to contact various C&RT departments. Now most of these numbers need to be used whilst I'm on my boat and hence on my mobile. Any body got a list of proper numbers for these supposed free numbers that I could use on my contract. I have searched the forum but not found the answer.

Thanks

Graham

Graham,

03... numbers are charged at the same rate as 01 & 02 numbers and will be included in any 'free' minutes you have.

Agree that SayNoTo0870 is a useful resource, but also try 0800 Wizard (available as a free app for smartphones) or 0800 Buster (free online). These gives you an 01/02/03 number to call instead.

Hope this helps

Dave

Graham,

but also try 0800 Wizard (available as a free app for smartphones) or 0800 Buster (free online). These gives you an 01/02/03 number to call instead.

Can definitely recommend these two.

Richard

I've never understood why they are not free from mobiles. After all, with 0800 the cost is passed back to the recipient number.

Instead of OfCom reducing the cost of mobile calls to and from abroad, perhaps they should look into this.

Regards

Pete

The emergency number ('Freephone Canals' as was, 0800 4799947) is 01384 215785. I thought this was common knowledge but it turns out half of BW C&RT don't know. :)

I thought 03030 404040 was the single number for all purposes now, and will be treated as a geographic number under mobile contracts?

I've never understood why they are not free from mobiles. After all, with 0800 the cost is passed back to the recipient number.

Regards

Pete

0800 numbers used to be free on "a certain colourful network" (I'll be careful what I say - I don't think what follows was actually illegal, but you never know!).

A person I know set up a scheme whereby that network's customers could dial his free 0800 number. That number just gave you a dialling tone, so you could call numbers via his leased land lines.

Although the user paid more than he would have done for a standard landline call, he still saved money because of the large differential between the cost of mobile and landline calls.

For ease of use, the mobile users just needed to program his 0800 number in front of their contact's 'phone number, and then it operated pretty transparently. The big loser in all this was of course the mobile phone network.

Great in theory, but of course the mobile phone companies have sophisticated computers and they started to seek out and block his 0800 numbers. When this happened he got a load of abuse from angry customers whose cheap calls weren't working any more. His answer was to set up a new 0800 number, but that involved the customer in changing his whole phonebook. Also, the network got better and better at tracing his 0800 numbers and blocked them almost as fast as he could set them up.

It only worked on "that network" because all the others charge for 0800 numbers at the standard rate, so there was no saving to be made.

Needless to say, the network in question lost a lot of revenue, and they now charge for 0800 numbers.

Instead of OfCom reducing the cost of mobile calls to and from abroad, perhaps they should look into this.

Regards

Pete

they are !

here is a summary of what they are proposing:

Ofcom’s main proposals

· Freephone (080 and 116 numbers) - to be free to callers from all landline and mobile phones - CWW’s 050 numbers will be consulted upon separately and should follow the same principle

· 03 - to become the only non-geographic number range linked to the price of a call to a geographic number (e.g. the 01/02 number ranges)

· Revenue sharing ranges - 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers (where a portion of the retail charge is shared with the receiver of the call) are to have a common simplified structure

Under the new proposals, call costs for 084/087, 09 and 118 numbers will be unbundled so that consumers will be presented with two charges on their bills, an Access Charge set by their phone provider (whether fixed or mobile) and a Service Charge chosen by the provider of the service they are calling. This will allow consumers complete visibility of what they are being charged and will also allow service promotions to state that charges will be “X pence per minute plus your telephone company’s Access Charge”.

Website : http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/simplifying-non-geographic-no/summary

Its Ofcom so don't hold your breath....

I thought 03030 404040 was the single number for all purposes now, and will be treated as a geographic number under mobile contracts?

This is only during working hours, according to the website. They state that 0800 47 999 47 is the 24 hour emergency number.

Regards

Pete

0800 numbers used to be free on "a certain colourful network" (I'll be careful what I say - I don't think what follows was actually illegal, but you never know!).

A person I know set up a scheme whereby that network's customers could dial his free 0800 number. That number just gave you a dialling tone, so you could call numbers via his leased land lines.

Although the user paid more than he would have done for a standard landline call, he still saved money because of the large differential between the cost of mobile and landline calls.

For ease of use, the mobile users just needed to program his 0800 number in front of their contact's 'phone number, and then it operated pretty transparently. The big loser in all this was of course the mobile phone network.

Great in theory, but of course the mobile phone companies have sophisticated computers and they started to seek out and block his 0800 numbers. When this happened he got a load of abuse from angry customers whose cheap calls weren't working any more. His answer was to set up a new 0800 number, but that involved the customer in changing his whole phonebook. Also, the network got better and better at tracing his 0800 numbers and blocked them almost as fast as he could set them up.

It only worked on "that network" because all the others charge for 0800 numbers at the standard rate, so there was no saving to be made.

Needless to say, the network in question lost a lot of revenue, and they now charge for 0800 numbers.

if you think about this it can't actually work...

call 0800 from lets call it the 'orange' network, pay thier normal rate. call your mates 0800 number from your 'orange' mobile umm same thing ?

There were/are companies offering a mobile number or ordinary number (that would be included in your free minutes) which then let you call an 0800 number, there would be an option for the operator of that facility to make some money either from the mobile operator for terminating the call or from revenue share on 084x/0870 numbers onward dialled...

The Cart emergency number 08004799947 is chargable on mobiles.

This number is their geographical number and free on a package 01962 932386

Their 0303 is free on a package.

Edited by enigma

Anyone looking to reduce the cost of unavoidable 0844/5 calls from their mobile should have a look at Localphone. Not free but cheaper from mobiles. The website will tell you all about it.

www.localphone.com

Richard

If free to 0800 numbers are sought, you could do a lot worse than trying GIFFGAFF, they run on the O2 network and are a separate(ish) company. I've been with them for a couple of years and I like the way they operate their business and treat me as a customer, they're PAYG and have monthly bundles for those who use oodles of minutes, text and unlimited mobile data (not tethering) is free.

p.s. I don't work for them, but credit where credit is due.