Weed cutting on the Slough arm of the GU

adrian's boat

Featured Posts

Last time i looked i could see the bottom of the channel from the towpath, and i'm sure that's not right ! i don't know how deep it is nowdays, but even the fish have complained to BW. Add the fact that there's nothing up there exept some extremely hostile Gypsies, it's not the best canal going.

Last time i looked i could see the bottom of the channel from the towpath, and i'm sure that's not right ! i don't know how deep it is nowdays, but even the fish have complained to BW. Add the fact that there's nothing up there exept some extremely hostile Gypsies, it's not the best canal going.

We were promised that the Arm was listed for dredging this year, This is the 3rd year running that they have deployed the weed cutters and weed scoopers so maybe, just maybe if our info is correct we may, just may get dredged between the M25 bridge and The Windly windly hole past Highline come the winter.

Walked along the Slough arm today and it really is a sad looking stretch. At every bridge ( ill refrain from saying OLE) I came to it couldn't have been deeper than 18", it was full of old tyres, bike wheels, fast food packaging,shoppin trolleys, coconuts and a million and one beer cans. The channel depth was low as well and was restricted by 6th either side by over hanging trees and bramble. It will take more than a weed scooper to clean up this mess. If no money is spent on dredging and a lot of man power used I feel it will silt up to a point were it will be impossible to move boats anywhere. The locals don't seem to respect the waterway at all and with no reason to go down there and nothing to see I'm sure it will be just another muddy ditch.

Darren

Walked along the Slough arm today and it really is a sad looking stretch. At every bridge ( ill refrain from saying OLE) I came to it couldn't have been deeper than 18", it was full of old tyres, bike wheels, fast food packaging,shoppin trolleys, coconuts and a million and one beer cans. The channel depth was low as well and was restricted by 6th either side by over hanging trees and bramble. It will take more than a weed scooper to clean up this mess. If no money is spent on dredging and a lot of man power used I feel it will silt up to a point were it will be impossible to move boats anywhere. The locals don't seem to respect the waterway at all and with no reason to go down there and nothing to see I'm sure it will be just another muddy ditch.

Darren

Can't argue with that. Summed up pretty well. Am surprised hi line has not kicked up a fuss.

I don't recall depth being a problem four years ago when Melaleuca was moored there, and Melaleuca is quite deep.

The weed wasn't a problem either, but we were only there during the winter, so it wouldn't be.

MP.

The Slough Arm is the one canal to have beaten me.

" years ago I managed to pass the second winding hole but could not progress further than 200yards before the park. I moved 100 yards in 2 hours and then spent an hour poling backwards to the winding hole to turn round.

I did manage to get to the terminus though, by bike.

Did it last year, gave up with the engine with about 400 yards to go and used Son power to bow haul and me power with the pole to get to the terminus. Did the same for about 600 yards on the return, then we were able to use the engine again.

Met the weed cutter on the way down, it only cut weed from the winding hole just beyond Highline.

Quite pleased to have done it as I wont feel the need to do it again!