Single handling a Dutch barge

blackrose

Featured Posts

I already understand why people pay more for Dutch-style barges - I'm a big fan of them, but cost wasn't the topic of this thread and it wasn't intended to be a "Which boat is better" thread. We both know the answer to that!

Of course I refrain from using my boat in adverse conditions. I've been on tidal rivers plenty of times, but hard chined boats like narrowboats and narrowboat-style widebeams aren't designed for the sea in the first place (with or without side decks), so it's really a moot point.

However, since you mentioned extending the boundaries of what is practicable, then how about another example in which the owners of narrowboats have access to the entire UK inland waterways network which neither of us do. Also, I've found that the very shallow draught and low air draught of my boat allows me to get to places on the broadbeam canals where most Dutch barges would fear to venture.

No boat can do everything and every boat is a compromise George94, even yours.

You should copyright this stuff, Blackrose! I would never have guessed that NBs weren't designed for the sea. And all that stuff about draught. Really useful.

You should copyright this stuff, Blackrose! I would never have guessed that NBs weren't designed for the sea. And all that stuff about draught. Really useful.

It wasn't meant to be useful, it was meant to show how irrelevant your previous post was.

But while we're on the topic of stating the bleedin' obvious, it appears I'm in good company. I never realised why people pay more for Dutch barges... :P

Edited by blackrose

It wasn't meant to be useful, it was meant to show how irrelevant your previous post was.

But while we're on the topic of stating the bleedin' obvious, it appears I'm in good company. I never realised why people pay more for Dutch barges... :P

I am not really surprised. You didn't even realise that cordless tools cost more than mains-powered ones (Hint: it's the battery that costs the extra).

And you certainly haven't learnt how to respond politely to those who have different views from yours. Even when the people holding those views (all the barge owners who responded to this thread) know much more about the subject than you.

Enjoy your wide-beam, and cling on tightly when making your way for'ard! :lol:

I am not really surprised. You didn't even realise that cordless tools cost more than mains-powered ones (Hint: it's the battery that costs the extra).

And you certainly haven't learnt how to respond politely to those who have different views from yours. Even when the people holding those views (all the barge owners who responded to this thread) know much more about the subject than you.

Enjoy your wide-beam, and cling on tightly when making your way for'ard! :lol:

I've responded just as politely as you George94. I think it was you who first became impolite by asking me if I could read (when in fact it was you who hadn't remembered what you'd written earlier!)

I do know that cordless tools cost more than mains, but I was talking about Silverline tools and the quality isn't great. You really do seem desperate to proove some sort of point by bringing in topics from other threads. Talk about clutching at straws...

All the barge owners who responded to this thread didn't agree with you. Take Tam & Di (post 46) who said "Although Blackrose's boat would not be to my taste it suits him, and I don't think I would have any problem working it one handed in the UK."

Anyone who arrogantly assumes that they know more than anyone else on an internet forum is making a mistake. I did politely suggest that we agree to disagree some time ago, so I can only conclude that this is just a case of you not being able to handle other people's opinions. Anyway, you can carry on by yourself if you want to as I've got better things to do and won't bother to read or reply to any more of your inane comments.

Oh and don't worry, I won't need to cling on tightly to my boat when making my way forward, I'll just walk straight through. ;)

Edited by blackrose

I've responded just as politely as you George94. I think it was you who first became impolite by asking me if I could read (when in fact it was you who hadn't remembered what you'd written earlier!)

I do know that cordless tools cost more than mains, but I was talking about Silverline tools and the quality isn't great. You really do seem desperate to proove some sort of point by bringing in topics from other threads. Talk about clutching at straws...

All the barge owners who responded to this thread didn't agree with you. Take Tam & Di (post 46) who said "Although Blackrose's boat would not be to my taste it suits him, and I don't think I would have any problem working it one handed in the UK."

Anyone who arrogantly assumes that they know more than anyone else on an internet forum is making a mistake. I did politely suggest that we agree to disagree some time ago, so I can only conclude that this is just a case of you not being able to handle other people's opinions. Anyway, you can carry on by yourself if you want to as I've got better things to do and won't bother to read or reply to any more of your inane comments.

Oh and don't worry, I won't need to cling on tightly to my boat when making my way forward, I'll just walk straight through. ;)

Your problem is twofold, Blackrose. First, you are aggressive. It was blindingly obvious that when I said the gunwale of a WB is a pain, it represented my opinion, and was not an attempt to speak for you. Your posts on this point were rude and unnecessary, and drove me to be similarly impolite in return.

Second, you are not very logical. Tam said in an earlier post that he agreed with me. He later said he wouldn't expect to have a problem handling your widebeam. These two posts are not contradictory. His point was that side-decks are good to have, but he could manage without them, as indeed could I.

Now, I am tired of your confrontational attitude, so this is my last post in this thread.

Your problem is twofold, Blackrose. First, you are aggressive. It was blindingly obvious that when I said the gunwale of a WB is a pain, it represented my opinion, and was not an attempt to speak for you. Your posts on this point were rude and unnecessary, and drove me to be similarly impolite in return.

Second, you are not very logical. Tam said in an earlier post that he agreed with me. He later said he wouldn't expect to have a problem handling your widebeam. These two posts are not contradictory. His point was that side-decks are good to have, but he could manage without them, as indeed could I.

Now, I am tired of your confrontational attitude, so this is my last post in this thread.

I, for one, am pleased that this is your last post on this thread