harborough marine GRP roof

Featured Posts

Hi. I have a harborough marine narrowboat with a GRP roof. Some years ago I sanded and repainted it. Now the paint is peeling. The roof has a very small diamond pattern all over it except on the outer part where is meets the cabin sides - this has not peeled. Every time I sand another bit lifts the next day. What I would like to do is re-gel coat it but I am worried that if I put the new gel coat on flakey paint the gel coat will lift as well. Any ideas how i get the paint off - the diamonds just don't want to be sanded. Any help much appreciated.

Hi. I have a harborough marine narrowboat with a GRP roof. Some years ago I sanded and repainted it. Now the paint is peeling. The roof has a very small diamond pattern all over it except on the outer part where is meets the cabin sides - this has not peeled. Every time I sand another bit lifts the next day. What I would like to do is re-gel coat it but I am worried that if I put the new gel coat on flakey paint the gel coat will lift as well. Any ideas how i get the paint off - the diamonds just don't want to be sanded. Any help much appreciated.

A good quality paint stripper would be the best bet then start afresh.

DILUNETT GEL PAINT REMOVER - I was told that this is the 'safe on GRP' stuff to use, however

it was no good for me because the hire company had used the same epoxy 'paint' to paint the cabin top/diamond pattern as on the hull down to the waterline. Try ordinary paint stripper in a hidden area to see what type of 'paint' you have.

I have an ex-SUC/Dartline 'Frobisher' - I am clearing my roof bit by bit, using the edge of a scraper in the grooves. Within a few days the scored edge lifts and I do a bit more. Slow going, but I'll get there. I do a little bit now and again. When I get fed up of it, I put some paint on what I've cleared, then move on (and do some more later).

Where the scraper has scored the 'bottom' of the diamonds then the paint has stuck and not flaked. My roof (the gel coat is white) is now partly blue and white where the 'paint' has flaked and partly brown, where my new paint has adhered. Most of the old paint has now gone, so as soon as the rainy days have gone (will they ever?) I'll be back out with the paint pot!

Good luck!