River Severn

STIG

Featured Posts

This just in,

Gloucester - River Severn

Thursday 12 July 2012 until further notice

UPDATE (12 July 2012): The River Severn is currently closed at Diglis Lock and Upper Lode Lock.

The River is in indemnity from Diglis Lock to Lincomb.

----------------------------------------------------

so when is a river in indemnity :angry:

Via another site we found out that Droitwich was 'indemnity'. The lock keeper didn't know and there were no red boards till we got to the barge lock. There the choice was tying up to the lock landing stage in front of the weir or going through the lock.

Still awaiting the meaning of the message

so when is a river in indemnity :angry:

It's a term used by the Severn lockies to mean that they will let you through, but you have to sign a piece of paper to say that if you get into trouble it's not C&RT's fault. i.e. they are indemnified against you making a claim.

Steve

It's a term used by the Severn lockies to mean that they will let you through, but you have to sign a piece of paper to say that if you get into trouble it's not C&RT's fault. i.e. they are indemnified against you making a claim.

That's how I understood it. However, I do wonder if it would give your insurance company the excuse to wriggle out of any claim if anything went wrong.

The indemnity forms are gloriously worded.

"I acknowledge that I have been advised by the River Severn lock keeper at ... not to navigate on the River Severn as it is in flood ...... The problems and dangers of navigating the river in flood have been explained to me but I wish nonetheless to exercise my right to navigate the River ...."

This was from the one we signed the second time the river was in flood for us; the previous time the lock keeper had said he would have made us sign one but his stock of forms had been washed away in the floods.

Perhaps this is the stupidity we will have to put up with now with the new regime :wacko:

Its because people (I was going to use a stronger definition) will go out in unsafe conditions, get in trouble ether due to their own inexperience or a vessel unstable for the prevailing conditions and then try to blame someone else for not stopping them.

Its because people (I was going to use a stronger definition) will go out in unsafe conditions, get in trouble ether due to their own inexperience or a vessel unstable for the prevailing conditions and then try to blame someone else for not stopping them.

I agree, but I can also see where this is going so I`m not going to get involved :blink::cheers:

There is also a lank ov information as I have found out by being near the Severn .

There is also a lank ov information as I have found out by being near the Severn .

Not helped by garbled CaRT stuff; got this today:

Saturday 14 July 2012 until further notice

Due to rising river levels the following locks are now closed:

Lincolm

Holt

Bevere

Giglos Upper Loed

The Trust will update as the River Levels subside.

(my italics)!

Forms may be new but, IIRC, boaters were advised,(and a record kept) at least as early as the 80s.

And to be honest it's not a bad idea, Ripple really did struggle in anything like a strong stream, although I have been advised that the current is strongest when the river is about two feet up (having seen it whipping past Haw Bridge twelve feet up I may wish to deny any liability on this though!).

"In indemnity strikes me as some "in house" jargon that has been passed to the office and then been quoted verbatim

The Inland waterways Cruising School’s web page below shows 14 Environment Agency web sites for the River Severn levels

The "Level in metres" are the EA datums and do not correspond to the Canal and River Trusts' Red Amber Green boards or levels; but they do give a good representation of the trend.

Check that the time (GMT)and dates are correct. The water levels are updated every 3 hours and are for guidance only.

If you are interested in Stourport the 1.4m level at Bewdly is just about the bottom of the Red sector at Stourport.

http://www.cruisingschool.co.uk/location/river%20severn%20levels.htm

Enigma

Edited by enigma

The Inland waterways Cruising School’s web page below shows 14 Environment Agency web sites for the River Severn levels

The "Level in metres" are the EA datums and do not correspond to the Canal and River Trusts' Red Amber Green boards or levels; but they do give a good representation of the trend.

Check that the time (GMT)and dates are correct. The water levels are updated every 3 hours and are for guidance only.

If you are interested in Stourport the 1.4m level at Bewdly is just about the bottom of the Red sector at Stourport.

http://www.cruisingschool.co.uk/location/river%20severn%20levels.htm

Enigma

Thanks, worth knowing as my boat is stuck there! Hope to get it down this weekend as the levels are falling.

I'll add Bewdly to my page here which has the Ea gauges from Worcester to Gloucester.

• 1 month later...

Presumably now back open

We came down today, had to delay arrival at Gloucester a while because of a high spring tide which according to Gloucester lock put about 2ft on the river level and a fast flow in the parting. It was a bit fast but no real problem.

Steve

... The River is in indemnity from Diglis Lock to Lincomb... so when is a river in indemnity

Here is the board at Hawford Junction with the Droitwich

e3_ak7.jpg

Here is the quiz question:

I go into the river when it's in the green.

The sign tells me that the indemnity restrictions don't apply.

Jolly Good.

Who, then, is indemnifying me against what?

My insurers? (In which case what's that to do with BW/C&RT?)

Ho hummm