Hatton paddles

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Tut, tut - to some extent 'we're' all responsible as prudent users to use antique equipment sensible. I do find it extremely irritating that these monuments of the 1930s poo works technology are not maintained properly / reasonably. All it needs is to maintain the grease reservoirs..

In the meantime I have invested in stout pair(s) of welding gloves, so that I can grip the oversized spindles as the paddles descend slowly into the Depth of Hades on the Hatton (and other lock flights).

I commend this technique to The House.  

Agreed, but even without dampers Ham-Baker gear descends a lot slower than unchecked standard paddles gear with the catch "Knocked off".  Now that CAN break cast iron!

George

12 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

unchecked standard paddles gear with the catch "Knocked off".  Now that CAN break cast iron!

And attract the attention of the lockie.  They can hear that a long way off!

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Tut, tut - to some extent 'we're' all responsible as prudent users to use antique equipment sensible. I do find it extremely irritating that these monuments of the 1930s poo works technology are not maintained properly / reasonably. All it needs is to maintain the grease reservoirs..

In the meantime I have invested in stout pair(s) of welding gloves, so that I can grip the oversized spindles as the paddles descend slowly into the Depth of Hades on the Hatton (and other lock flights).

I commend this technique to The House.  

I strongly recommend you do not wear gloves when lowering paddles as one day they will snag in the moving parts, rapidly followed by a trip to A. & E..

Back in my day we used to knock the 'spanner' off and let them wind themselves down. Most went down quite steadily but a few did drop fast, where the internal design would then provide a cushion :captain:

9 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

CRT should be forced to change them to their historic, patented, state wherever they are not suitably damped. It is utterly ridiculous that that they can ignore such important parts of our historic heritage! I shall continue to drop them as their original design allows. Woe betide any locky or vollie who dares to suggest otherwise to me.

I had a full and frank discussion with a vlocky at Hatton after he saw the OH let the paddle self lower....apparently I was to

be reported to CRT and all sorts...now when we go up or down the vlockies ignore us...,I think they have a list of “troublemakers”....I have to say this suits us just fine.......

2 hours ago, frangar said:

I had a full and frank discussion with a vlocky at Hatton after he saw the OH let the paddle self lower....apparently I was to

be reported to CRT and all sorts...now when we go up or down the vlockies ignore us...,I think they have a list of “troublemakers”....I have to say this suits us just fine.......

One of them came roaring and yelling at us last year after Mrs S dropped a paddle at Hatton. Pretty abusive report blah blah blah. 

I offered to get the advert out of Arteries of commerce for Ham Baker paddle gear so she could read the proof and become informed which really annoyed her.

its great when they are so black and white about the party line..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

One of them came roaring and yelling at us last year after Mrs S dropped a paddle at Hatton. Pretty abusive report blah blah blah. 

I offered to get the advert out of Arteries of commerce for Ham Baker paddle gear so she could read the proof and become informed which really annoyed her.

its great when they are so black and white about the party line..

That’s hilarious because I offered to show them a copy of the design drawing for the gear that I had.....it didn’t go down well then either!!