Bridgewater Canal Olympic stoppage

frangar

Featured Posts

Posted full details in the stoppage section:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48525

It seems there is no part of the UK that isnt being affected by this farce.....I guess it may be same at other locations outside of London that have events close to canals....may be worth checking before you set off for that cruise.....looks like I may be spending longer in Castlefields than I thought....does anyone know how long you can stay on the visitor moorings there?

Cheers

Gareth

Posted full details in the stoppage section:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48525

It seems there is no part of the UK that isnt being affected by this farce.....I guess it may be same at other locations outside of London that have events close to canals....may be worth checking before you set off for that cruise.....looks like I may be spending longer in Castlefields than I thought....does anyone know how long you can stay on the visitor moorings there?

Doesn't sound like a huge problem. You can go through on the restricted days if you agree to your boat being searched. If you don't want that hassle then you only need to wait for one or sometimes two days before you can pass by normally. Mooring in that area is restricted, but you wouldn't want to moor there anyway. It's not going to me much of a potential hold-up.

I was intrigued that the navigation was closed but you could still go through if you dont mind being searched....strange idea of closed I thought!!....Its not putting us off of going to Castlefield...just got to time it right....just doesnt seem any escape from the farce tho!..I did wonder about trying to outrun the police as it would be the funniest chase ever!

Cheers

Gareth

What would the process be to stop a boat which refused to pull over to be checked?

I assume they will be blocking the canal with some form of removable/temporary barrier?

I was intrigued that the navigation was closed but you could still go through if you dont mind being searched....strange idea of closed I thought!!....Its not putting us off of going to Castlefield...just got to time it right....just doesnt seem any escape from the farce tho!..I did wonder about trying to outrun the police as it would be the funniest chase ever!

Cheers

Gareth

Don't even think about outrunning the Police . . . . they've got a lightened Harborough Marine with an overbored turbo-Lister fully kitted out, and can catch any miscreant narrowboat within days

• Greenie 1

What would the process be to stop a boat which refused to pull over to be checked?

I assume they will be blocking the canal with some form of removable/temporary barrier?

That would be a hire boat then...

Taxi..

All they'd need to do is throw a rope under your propeller!

As for being "closed" unless you are willing to be searched, isn't this exactly the same as they do in Birmingham when there is a political conference in swing?

All they'd need to do is throw a rope under your propeller!

As for being "closed" unless you are willing to be searched, isn't this exactly the same as they do in Birmingham when there is a political conference in swing?

It is, but some people just like to moan about the greatest sporting event ever seen in Britain. "It costs too much, it is stopping me doing things Yadda yadda yadda!!!!"

If you had an armed policeman or two pointing guns at you are you going to ignore him when he says "Stop"?

I dont think BW/CaRT say "Navigation Closed" when stuff like the Party conferences are on...more like navigation restriction....Im just wondering if in this case they will make it so although open in theory if you agree to a search in practice they really dont want you passing so will make it hard for you....anyway if they search my boat properly they may find the tools I have lost where they have dropped into the bilge!

Anyway to get back to one of my opening points.....

How long can I stay in Castlefields?...and does this count as some of my 7 days that I am allowed on the Bridgewater?...the Bridgewater website isnt very helpful on boating matters.....

Cheers

Gareth

It is, but some people just like to moan about the greatest sporting event ever seen in Britain. "It costs too much, it is stopping me doing things Yadda yadda yadda!!!!"

You're right...it is unreasonable..

So many people moaning...about spending massive amounts of money on a few weeks of fun and games...it doesn't make sense..?

Especially..when the country is broke...we are shutting accident and emergency wards...closing factories..putting people on the streets...leaving old folks with little or no care..and the list goes on.

No sense ..the damn unreasonable people...after all..we could come out of it with a few token medals ...and some very attractive venues..half of which will be destroyed...and the rest sold off at huge loss to government cronies mates...

I totally understand...where you are coming from.

Maybe depth charges!!

Cheers

Gareth

anyone seen that 'u boat' ?

Don't even think about outrunning the Police . . . . they've got a lightened Harborough Marine with an overbored turbo-Lister fully kitted out, and can catch any miscreant narrowboat within days

LOL !!

:cheers:

Anyway to get back to one of my opening points.....

How long can I stay in Castlefields?...and does this count as some of my 7 days that I am allowed on the Bridgewater?...the Bridgewater website isnt very helpful on boating matters.....

As Castlefield is on the Bridgewater, then yes it does count as part of your 7 days 'allowance'. If I remember rightly, the moorings are 48hr in Castlefield

A chap in a grey football shirt will grab the steerer in a bear hug and fling him into the canal in the path of a gold painted shiny boat.