Cats on narrowboats

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

Thank you and no, one of my cats is still residing on land having had it's collar (with bell) and microchip ignored. I'm still battling with the police but it's looking increasingly like I have to mourn this one as a loss.

Our tom Harvey has developed a knack for removing his collar and bell - I have no idea how he does it (or if someone is doing it) but we must have been through about 4 or 5 now.

Thank you and no, one of my cats is still residing on land having had it's collar (with bell) and microchip ignored. I'm still battling with the police but it's looking increasingly like I have to mourn this one as a loss.

oh man that sucks i'm sorry to hear it. can you sue the people who have it for its return or is it hopeless?

I think the correct term is native Australian nowadays, but I may be wrong and probably have caused massive offence to someone, wiki refers to 'Indigenous Australians' however. :unsure:

My point being, if Ron ain't one of them (which I was fairly sure he wasn't), then he himself was an import from Britain, just like the rabbits and the cats, quite possibly equally wreaking havoc on the native ecosystem..

It would be intresting to see how she arrived at any believable conclusion either way.A cross section of boaters cats,some probably wouldn't venture of the boat yet those belonging to some of the owners would be straight into the bush doing what we all know most cats are good at.Cats will play with whatever they catch then kill it drop it then if still in the mood look for aomething else.

You can rest assured that if it was for a PhD the research methodology would have been rigorous. And it is boat cats we are talking about here.

Edited by Chertsey

Make yourself more aware Chertsey.Certain birds alone is enough,not to mention your voles,bats and other moggie playthings.

I agree with you there unless it's in a bucket[just kitting everything should be put down humanely].

Rabbits and cats are a pest here, introduced by you lot.

No! I'll be there shortly and they are not your canals.I'll have a beer with you,stroke your cat but if it pads past my space with a crested newt or natrix natrix hanging out of it's vile jaws I'll report it immediatly.That last comment has really p***** me off,stay away!you need every dollar you can get to keep those canals going.If I was bringing my own beer and food and a bag full of cat traps fair enough.Do you follow your cat around with a bag Chertsey? our dosen't cat poo stink and stick to your footware?Starting to ramble off for a beer.

Thanks for the warning Gaggle.Could do with a couple of spells.Can they predict lotto numbers? or are they limited to catatstrophes.

Introduced by us lot eh?, you mean YOUR ancestors don't you?

My point being, if Ron ain't one of them (which I was fairly sure he wasn't), then he himself was an import from Britain, just like the rabbits and the cats, quite possibly equally wreaking havoc on the native ecosystem.

Cheers yes I know - but your post just set off me being curious about the 'correct' term. It seems there are at least a couple.

Whether Britons, as a nation, can be classified as animal lovers is an interesting point.

I believe there is a single Devon donkey sanctuary that had more wealth than the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children; and we had an RSPCA and RSPB before an NSPCC, I believe.

Our tom Harvey has developed a knack for removing his collar and bell - I have no idea how he does it (or if someone is doing it) but we must have been through about 4 or 5 now.

The collars I buy for my cats are about eight quid each because I have them printed with 'I LIVE ON A BOAT' plus my phone number. My cat loses a lot of them too. There are three usual scenarios in which she loses them; the main one is fighting with other cats. Then there is member of public wants to pick her up, she doesn't want to be picked up, so they grab the collar and lastly there is the getting stuck on brambles scenarios. It's expensive but think of what you'd be willing to pay if your cat disappeared because someone thought they were a stray...

oh man that sucks i'm sorry to hear it. can you sue the people who have it for its return or is it hopeless?

It's really sad. I can sue (at great cost to me) but they are likely to retain custody of my cat because of the length of time they've now had him and what's in 'the cats best interest'. Maddening. I have one last ditch meeting with the police tomorrow night. They agree he's my cat/property but there is nowt they can/will do about it.

Whether Britons, as a nation, can be classified as animal lovers is an interesting point.

I believe there is a single Devon donkey sanctuary that had more wealth than the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children; and we had an RSPCA and RSPB before an NSPCC, I believe.

That's my outside opinion having lived in a few countries now. Spend a week in any other European city to see parks crawling with cats that nobody cares about. That wouldn't happen here. Someone would rescue and spay them. I remember reading somewhere that the charities that receive the highest contribution here are animal ones.

It's really sad. I can sue (at great cost to me) but they are likely to retain custody of my cat because of the length of time they've now had him and what's in 'the cats best interest'. Maddening. I have one last ditch meeting with the police tomorrow night. They agree he's my cat/property but there is nowt they can/will do about it.

If they are entitled to steal your cat is there any reason you can't steal it back and then go boating?

If they are entitled to steal your cat is there any reason you can't steal it back and then go boating?

No reason whatsoever and it was what the police actually advised me to do. Yes, really. They also helpfully provided me with the address so that I can pursue Civil Action. Now I have to risk assess the situation and see how brave I am :-)

The collars I buy for my cats are about eight quid each because I have them printed with 'I LIVE ON A BOAT' plus my phone number. My cat loses a lot of them too. There are three usual scenarios in which she loses them; the main one is fighting with other cats. Then there is member of public wants to pick her up, she doesn't want to be picked up, so they grab the collar and lastly there is the getting stuck on brambles scenarios. It's expensive but think of what you'd be willing to pay if your cat disappeared because someone thought they were a stray...

I sew up circles of 10mm elastic to fit comfortably round his neck and write NB CHERTSEY and my mobile no. on them in big black indelible letters. Only use them when we're travelling. So far he's not lost one but could easily wriggle out if caught on something and I have a big supply of spares.

Edited by Chertsey

I sew up circles of 10mm elastic to fit comfortably round his neck and write NB CHERTSEY and my mobile no. on them in big black indelible letters. Only use them when we're travelling. So far he's not lost one but could easily wriggle out if caught on something and I have a big supply of spares.

That sounds really clever (and a whole hell of a lot cheaper)!

:(

good luck

I think my sewing skills are up to that - thanks

:(

good luck

Thought I should pop in and update you on my meeting with the rozzers last night. To my utter astonishment, they are 'reopening' the investigation into the theft of me cat and will be looking to prove the guilt of the woman who took him by showing that you can actually feel the chip in his shoulder etc.

There are no guarantees at all that I'll get him back but this is the most promissing step of the shenanigans so far.

Why dont they just use the bloody scanner ,then it should show your name and address, job done . No need to feel for it ?

I might not have phrased that very well. That the cat is chipped and scans with my details is not in doubt. They are trying to prove 'dishonesty' on the part of the woman who currently has him. To do this they want to show that the chip was obvious and that by not taking him to a vet to be scanned, she was being dishonest.

I might not have phrased that very well. That the cat is chipped and scans with my details is not in doubt. They are trying to prove 'dishonesty' on the part of the woman who currently has him. To do this they want to show that the chip was obvious and that by not taking him to a vet to be scanned, she was being dishonest.

Surely now that she knows the cat is yours she is depriving you of your "property" so, even if she didn't deliberately steal the cat initially, now she knows it has become theft?

Surely now that she knows the cat is yours she is depriving you of your "property" so, even if she didn't deliberately steal the cat initially, now she knows it has become theft?

This is the point I've been taking back to the police again and again. I have subsequently learned that cats are considered property by the way so no need for the quotation marks. Fingers crossed now they act on that.

Oh i see , but the chip is not obvious , size of a grain of rice ,because they are injected in a large syringe ! Jan used to do it at work , sorry about delay there laying flooring !

The chip can sometimes be felt, depending on the location, if it's migrated and how close under the skin it is. (I have also chipped numerous animals myself, and actually have a microchip in my arm too- but my stupidity while I was a student veterinary nurse is a whole other story. :wacko: )

the adage is...

Dog's have owners, cat's have staff....

I saw the following poster in a pet shop:

"A dog will obey orders - a cat will take a message and get back to you"

(that sounds just like our cat) :lol:

I hope it all works out quickly for you Leonie.

Ann

Edited by Ace 01