Cats on narrowboats

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

Care to put a photo of yourself up and a time and place of your visit. I would like to know if you were anywhere near my boat.

Don't get all shitty when someone challenges you on what is a ridiculously weird comment. 'Let's go on holiday and kill things that are pests in our country' I for one would rather not see a penny of yours go towards the system if you believe that is anyway in which to act.

Can't see your photo or boat name,but will certainly let you know my whereabouts when we get there.Will be nice to meet some of you lot.I'm not getting all shitty,on the contrary having a great laugh.I won't act in any manner that wil be against the laws of any country I'm in.

We can only guess that Ron is an Aboriginal Australian (or whatever the proper term is) given his objection to the introduction of pests from Britain.

To be fair, lots of mink were released by farmers once they ceased to be profitable, and plenty escaped on their own too.

Wrong guess Chertsey.Mink I'd imagine could do a lot of damage,they would probably give a cat a run for his money.

I suppose each cat is different. Ours knows the boat is her home and she is very territorially over it and will defend it against any cat or gog that comes close.

Better watch her carefully if you venture into North Wales...

We can only guess that Ron is an Aboriginal Australian (or whatever the proper term is) given his objection to the introduction of pests from Britain.

To be fair, lots of mink were released by farmers once they ceased to be profitable, and plenty escaped on their own too.

I think the correct term is native Australian nowadays, but I may be wrong and probably have caused massive offence to someone, wiki refers to 'Indigenous Australians' however. :unsure:

I keep reading posts about people with cats on their boats and homes in the uk and no one seems to consider the damage to what's left of your native animals.It seems o.k to let your cats out to do their own thing i.e. kill every small creature they can before returning back to their bed for the day.Most places here, it's mandatory in a lot of cities if you own a cat to keep it confined to an enclosed run on your property.Letting them out to "Hunt" is surely irresponsible and if you are allowed to bump them off if not on their owners property that's what I will be doing whilst on your canals.Look after your wildlife and look after your pets in that order.

A friend of mine investigated, for her PhD, how much damage boat cats do to wildlife.

The answer is "a negligeable amount, far less than natural predators and roads".

I will try and find a link to or, but suspect it's only available in hard copy.

• Greenie 1

Guest wanted

Wanted, there seems to be a good photo in the " Snake at Fazeley Junction" thread.

Cheers Benjt, Not sure which one is more dangerous! :)

A friend of mine investigated, for her PhD, how much damage boat cats do to wildlife.

The answer is "a negligeable amount, far less than natural predators and roads".

Just "BOAT CATS" ? and not cats in general.

I keep reading posts about people with cats on their boats and homes in the uk and no one seems to consider the damage to what's left of your native animals.It seems o.k to let your cats out to do their own thing i.e. kill every small creature they can before returning back to their bed for the day.Most places here, it's mandatory in a lot of cities if you own a cat to keep it confined to an enclosed run on your property.Letting them out to "Hunt" is surely irresponsible and if you are allowed to bump them off if not on their owners property that's what I will be doing whilst on your canals.Look after your wildlife and look after your pets in that order.

I note that you are still looking for a boat.

That's good.

All I ask is that you confine it to your country's canals

<_<

It is only to be expected that someone may voice an opinion when comments such as what is copied below are posted , seemingly rejoicing in the fact that wherever they go the allow the cat to set about killing whatever wildlife it finds or comes across .

When we more up in a new place she goes off and has a look about. If it quiet she will go off and hunt for something to bring back to us. I think her record is 4 minutes from us mooring up and her coming back with a mouse.

Why exactly is it alright that the cats be allowed to hunt as they wish , what is it about the owners of these cats who pretend to be animal lovers that allows them to celebrate and even show off and brag to others about the latest kill the cat has made.

Do us all a favour and stay where you are :angry:

• Greenie 1

It would be intresting to see how she arrived at any believable conclusion either way.A cross section of boaters cats,some probably wouldn't venture of the boat yet those belonging to some of the owners would be straight into the bush doing what we all know most cats are good at.Cats will play with whatever they catch then kill it drop it then if still in the mood look for aomething else.

Do us all a favour and stay where you are :angry:

All of you? no way mate ,I can put up with strange people anywhere if the beers good,and I happen to like your beer.

I note that you are still looking for a boat.

That's good.

All I ask is that you confine it to your country's canals

<_<

Sorry Grace not doing you that favour.

I think the correct term is native Australian nowadays, but I may be wrong and probably have caused massive offence to someone, wiki refers to 'Indigenous Australians' however. :unsure:

Most still like to be called Aboriginal,Koori,Noongar or their local mob[mob is not derogatory that's their choice of word for tribe] name.I'm sure you wouldn't have caused any offence to anyone.Some of the other posters would come close though if I thought they were worth taking any notice of.

It is only to be expected that someone may voice an opinion when comments such as what is copied below are posted , seemingly rejoicing in the fact that wherever they go the allow the cat to set about killing whatever wildlife it finds or comes across .

When we more up in a new place she goes off and has a look about. If it quiet she will go off and hunt for something to bring back to us. I think her record is 4 minutes from us mooring up and her coming back with a mouse.

Why exactly is it alright that the cats be allowed to hunt as they wish , what is it about the owners of these cats who pretend to be animal lovers that allows them to celebrate and even show off and brag to others about the latest kill the cat has made.

That's got me baffled Gaggle.I know this isn't the U.K. but all cats here have to be desexed unless registered breeders,microchipped and confined to the owners property.They and foxes are decimating the small marsupials here to the point of extinction.As well as the fantastic beer in the U.K. I enjoy looking at the wildlife and I don't think that roaming cats will be doing the smaller stuff much good.

They and foxes are decimating the small marsupials here to the point of extinction.

So you are now saying that the draconian rules governing pet ownership in your country don't work.

As cats over here are not a major threat to our wildlife shouldn't you be asking yourself what your country is doing wrong and calling on your government to be following our example?

• Greenie 1

That's got me baffled Gaggle.I know this isn't the U.K. but all cats here have to be desexed unless registered breeders,microchipped and confined to the owners property.They and foxes are decimating the small marsupials here to the point of extinction.As well as the fantastic beer in the U.K. I enjoy looking at the wildlife and I don't think that roaming cats will be doing the smaller stuff much good.

It is interesting. As a cat lover I found your comments somewhat offensive, but in an effort to try and understand I did some research on the Net and I have to admit that I genuinely wasn't aware that you had such a problem with cats down under!

It seems your problems have been been building for many years, we don't have the same problems over here with feral cats, I think you will find that the majority of people here are either cat lovers, or at least tolerant toward cats, I would guess that cat haters were in the minority. Of course, I may be wrong, it is only a guess.

Most still like to be called Aboriginal,Koori,Noongar or their local mob[mob is not derogatory that's their choice of word for tribe] name.I'm sure you wouldn't have caused any offence to anyone.Some of the other posters would come close though if I thought they were worth taking any notice of.

I was talking in the context of using a potentially offensive term for native Australians - no-body else has so I'm not sure how anybody else could have come close.

Yes you have had a bit of stick over some of your forthright opinions, but pretty much what you should expect surely?

So you are now saying that the draconian rules governing pet ownership in your country don't work.

As cats over here are not a major threat to our wildlife shouldn't you be asking yourself what your country is doing wrong and calling on your government to be following our example?

This thread is bizarre. Ron, as a fellow Aussie who actually lives on the canals of the UK with a cat, you are barking up the wrong tree mate. It's a different eco-system without the quantity of endangered marsupials and birds which we have in Australia. The reason why cats are a major threat to Australian wildlife is that our natives haven't evolved with a natural preditor; the British wildlife has. There has always been foxes, pine martens, weasels, stoats etc. You can't come in bombastically threatening people and pets on the basis of what happens in your backyard. There are virtually NO feral cats here in the UK compared to the population in Australia because the British people are intense animal lovers and there are socities and protection centres set up.

Plus, referring to the woodlands and hedgerows of the towpath as 'the bush' has made me laugh out loud.

Belling your cat and locking it in overnight help with wildlife in whatever country you are in as cats and their prey are usually nocturnal hunters.

Many thanks for your replies, even if it has wandered off the subject a little at times :lol::rolleyes: .

Like with my question about Dogs on trads I'm much wiser about the pros and cons now.

Welcome to the house of fun :-)

The simple answer is that the territorial nature of cats works well for boats because the boat is their territory. They are unlikely to wander too far in the two week period you are allowed to spend anywhere because they aren't hugely familiar with that area.

Ron T is clearly a Troll and should be treated a such.

Cats are a native species in the UK.

Barry McKenzie is not.

His reaction is fairly typical for an Australian. The eco-system in Aus is delicate because when Australia broke away from the mainland, it didn't take any preditory mammals with it. We are (or were) awash with tiny nocturnal marsupials which are fairly unique in the world; not to mention the birds. Cats turn feral very easily then rampage about slaughtering everything they can find.

It's two very different situations and scenarios but Ron is just espousing views he thinks are popular among wildlife and nature lovers.

So not a troll, just a passionate wildlife lover who hasn't understood the difference between his country and someone elses.

Edited by Leonie
  • Greenie 4

Good post leonie, thanks for taking the time. I must admit I've wondered about the effect on the local wildlife as i'm disposing of the corpses. have you recovered your cat yet?

to the OP, I got 2 rescue cats (about 8mths old) at the end of Jan and both seemed to be settling in fine and coping with moving about. One didnt really like humans though but seemed happy to have the boat as a home & go out after dark or when we were moored in a quiet place. Unfortunately she disappeared when I was out for blacking in April. I stayed in the same place for about 6 weeks but she never came back.

The other one is very different; he's very affectionate and often follows me around and comes on walks with me. I don't think he goes too far from the boat and mostly comes back when he's called (which i've been reinforcing with food & belly rubs). A couple of times I've not been able to move because he's stayed out for a night & a day but these times have been after a couple of long days on the move so I try to adjust my travelling schedule so he doesnt get stuck indoors for long periods.

So i think it depends on the cat really

There are virtually NO feral cats here in the UK compared to the population in Australia because the British people are intense animal lovers and there are socities and protection centres set up.

Dozens of these vile creatures around my location and if that is replicated in other area,s then it must be a huge problem , certain charities are set up to fund the neutering of the pests so some of the intense animal lovers do seem to accept that a problem does exist with feral cats.

If it were true of course that the British were a nation of intense animal lovers we would not have or need so many charities , societies or protection centres , cats and dogs are discarded with little regard or thought in huge numbers by the intense animal lovers.

Belling your cat and locking it in overnight help with wildlife in whatever country you are in as cats and their prey are usually nocturnal hunters.

A boaters cat missing is on a thread here , no collar on it , likely to mean no bell also , so the birds get no warning.

Dozens of these vile creatures around my location...

representing irresponsible cat owners, not irresponsible cats.

Cats are not vile creatures (though personally I'm not that keen on them) they are just animals getting on with what they do.

The only vermin are humans who paradoxically choose to label as vermin those animals that we feed, regardless of how much we dislike them.

British people are intense animal lovers [/color]and there are socities and protection centres set up.

Dozens of these vile creatures around my location and if that is replicated in other area,s then it must be a huge problem , certain charities are set up to fund the neutering of the pests so some of the intense animal lovers do seem to accept that a problem does exist with feral cats.

If it were true of course that the British were a nation of intense animal lovers we would not have or need so many charities , societies or protection centres , cats and dogs are discarded with little regard or thought in huge numbers by the intense animal lovers.

A boaters cat missing is on a thread here , no collar on it , likely to mean no bell also , so the birds get no warning.

The fact you have the charities and organisations is what I'm basing my gross over-generalisation. You're right gaggle, some people hate animals. My point about feral cats was that in comparrison with Australia there is virtually no problem. Have you been to Australia?

I agree, a cat with no collar is not a good idea for the owner or for the cat. I'm very sad they have lost their cat but in my experience it is because an intense animal loving Brit will have 'rescued' what they thought was a stray from the towpath.

Good post leonie, thanks for taking the time. I must admit I've wondered about the effect on the local wildlife as i'm disposing of the corpses. have you recovered your cat yet?

Thank you and no, one of my cats is still residing on land having had it's collar (with bell) and microchip ignored. I'm still battling with the police but it's looking increasingly like I have to mourn this one as a loss.