GUCCo Ltd offices during WWII

Featured Posts

All the recent discussion about GUCCCo Town Class boats prompted me to read up a bit about the compnay. One of the things I discovered in Alan Faulkner's "George and Mary" was that the the GUCCo. moved it's offices to Ruislip during the war. I grew up in Ruslip, but I was not aware of this fact, and can find no reference to it in the several books I possess on the history of Ruislip.

I have always been aware that the Ruislip Lido was originally dug to provide a feeder reservoir for the Grand Junction Canal, and have since learnt that the GUCCo were the instigators of converting the reservoir into a leisure lake in the 1930's, including the erection of a substantial new building, was this where the GUCC operate from during the war?

One of the books features a photo of the official opening in May 1936, and I am convinced that one of the men shown in the photo is Leslie Morton, the then general manager of the GUCCo., but have no photo of him as an adult to confirm this. There is a well publicsed photo of Leslie Morton aged 18, when he was awarded a medal for gallantry for his involvement in saving passengers when the Lusitania was torpedoed, but does anyone know of any photos of him as an adult?

Edited by David Schweizer

......but does anyone know of any photos of him as an adult?

Yes,

There is a much published picture where he appears to the right of the group of people om the "This is Your Life" program for Sister Mary Ward.

It is, I'm sure in several books, (but presumably copyright), and I can't quickly find an Internet version.

That picture is I know dispalyed on thewall of the Boat at Stoke Bruerne.

If nobody else comes up trumps, I'll try and find a book to scan, so you can see it privately!

I'm surprised a quick Google doesn't find anything, but guess you tried that already.

Incidentally one of the others in that photo is boatman Alf Best, who I'm told is the man at the tiller of Sickle when I photographed it on the maintenance fleet in 1973!

There were offices attached to Sampson Rd depot in Birmingham, the depot was much larger than most people realize as it occupied premises both sides of Sampson rd. These presumably were GUCCCo Ltd.

Try Journeys of the Swan, Willow Wren by Alan Faulkner and Bread upon the Waters by David Blagrove

Paul

Or

Waterways of Northamptonshire, by David Blagrove, (page 196, for the picture).

David,

Jeannette Smith Harrisson has emailed me a scan of the following......

Leslie Morton (Left)with Captain Lional Monk IWA Chairman @ a dinneron 29th April 1966,

Taken from Willow Wren By Alen Faulkner.

Don't know if you have that book in your library - I personally do not.

I'll attempt to forward on to you.

(Thanks, Jeannette!)

David,

Jeannette Smith Harrisson has emailed me a scan of the following......

Don't know if you have that book in your library - I personally do not.

I'll attempt to forward on to you.

(Thanks, Jeannette!)

No I don't have it, It is one I have been trying to obtain for a long time without success, If you can forward the scan it would be appreciated.

I did actually meet Leslie Morton several times in the 1960's, but I cannot really remember what he looked like. My only recollection is of a fairly big impressive man, who spoke a lot. One comment I can remember him making was "I had to buy all my bl**dy boats back", but I did not understand what he meant at the time.

There were offices attached to Sampson Rd depot in Birmingham, the depot was much larger than most people realize as it occupied premises both sides of Sampson rd. These presumably were GUCCCo Ltd.

I am not sure if this was the case, the existing warehouse was erected in 1939.

Ray Shill

I am not sure if this was the case, the existing warehouse was erected in 1939.

Ray Shill

They used some Birmingham Corporation buildings, paint shops if I am correct.

Was the yard not there before the warehouse was erected? I seem to recall seeing photos of Samson Road depot with and without.

Yes it was, some of the building still there predate the big warehouse and lie to the west end of the yard, the earlier basin is still in water but sadly no one uses it.

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE 1930'S NEW BUILD ALONGSIDE THE OLD WHARF

gallery_5000_522_36557.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Was the yard not there before the warehouse was erected? I seem to recall seeing photos of Samson Road depot with and without.

I wuld still welcome some supprt for the statement in Alan Faulkners book "George and Mary" that most of the GUCCo. administration moved to Ruilslip during the War, and some indication of wher their offices were. They opened the Lido Building at Ruislip in 1936 but as the recreational facilities were probably withdrawn for the duration, presumably that is where they moved to. After the war the reservoir and building was sold to the local Council.

Alan has sent me a photo (kindly provided by Jeanette Smith Harrison) of Leslie Morton, and although he is significantly older than the man in the Ruislip photo, both Alan and I do not think it is of Leslie Morton.

Edited by David Schweizer

Alan has sent me a photo (kindly provided by Jeanette Smith Harrison) of Leslie Morton, and although he is significantly older than the man in the Ruislip photo, both Alan and I do not think it is of Leslie Morton.

To be clear, (and of course I know what you mean, David), it is the chap in your picture we don't think is Leslie Morton. I have no doubt the one in Jeannette's picture is!

I wuld still welcome some supprt for the statement in Alan Faulkners book "George and Mary" that most of the GUCCo. administration moved to Ruilslip during the War, and some indication of wher their offices were. They opened the Lido Building at Ruislip in 1936 but as the recreational facilities were probably withdrawn for the duration, presumably that is where they moved to. After the war the reservoir and building was sold to the local Council.

The houses in Lakeside crescent and Resevoir road next to the Lido look distinctly like the GUCCo design as used on the modernisation of the new locks when they widened the Napton to Brum stretch. If this is so was this done on purpose for GU emplyees? Would make sense living near to work?

They were certainly there for part of the War. They held dances there for staff! 'Transport House' comes to mind, but I can't remember where that comes from. Will try to find my notes.

The Canal Joint Committee 'Handbook on Inland Waterways' 1945, gives the following details for the GUCCo.

TEMPORARY HEAD OFFICE: Transport House, Reservoir Road, Ruislip, Middlesex. Telephone: Ruislip 4081 (10 lines) Telegrams: Ruislip 4081

Hope that helps.

The Canal Joint Committee 'Handbook on Inland Waterways' 1945, gives the following details for the GUCCo.

TEMPORARY HEAD OFFICE: Transport House, Reservoir Road, Ruislip, Middlesex. Telephone: Ruislip 4081 (10 lines) Telegrams: Ruislip 4081

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that, it would have been the Lido Building as there is (was) nothing else big enough in Reservoir Road.

Sorry about the delay in repspondiong, I have been on the boat for the last three days, getting things finished in preparation for the repaint!