Swing Bridge

Timujin

Featured Posts

Having just encountered a swing bridge operated by the lock key but with the winding gear not on the tow path side I wondered if anyone has any tips on how to operate them single handed. The mooring bollards are on the opposite side to the gear so when the bridge is up how are you supposed to get back to take the craft through. I know how I did it but whats the best approach.

This one comes up a lot. I don't know what the preferred method is, but mine is:

Get bows in at junction of bank and bridge on the operating gear side. Then wedge boat diagonally with it's arse against opposite bank. Climb off nose, raise bridge. Get back aboard, reverse a bit to straighten up, go through then turn sharply to bring the boats backside up to the bridge, this time with the nose on the opposite bank. Lower bridge, cross bridge, shove the nose out. Get aboard and motor off.

exactly so, except I don't bother with the towpath side and get back on at the stern.

incidentally the 'nose' is called the bow and the backside the 'stern' (no, no don't thank me, glad to be of help)

and I don't believe it necessary, usually, to lower a swing bridge - but it would just be pedantic to point this out.

Although the title says 'Swing Bridge', the OP then says 'when the bridge is up', implying a lift bridge. (Did you see that, Chris? :rolleyes: ) Although NofH's reply would work for both for his boat, it's no good for mine, being shorter than the widtrh of most canals.

I've used all sorts of methods over the years, according to the circumstances and the type of bridge. Most involve scrambling ashore on the operating side and tying the front of the boat to a non-moving part of the bridge (yes I know some people tie the boat to a moving part of a swing bridge, but I've had one or two tense moments doing this), either pulling or driving the boat through, and reversing the process at the other side.

If it's a busy canal, then you don't have to do any of this of course. B)

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Although the title says 'Swing Bridge', the OP then says 'when the bridge is up', implying a lift bridge. (Did you see that, Chris? :rolleyes: )

Most involve scrambling ashore on the operating side and tying the front of the boat to a non-moving part of the bridge

I would not tie up I simply take the end of the stern line for a walk and lay it out , my boat is unlikely to have wandered 10 metres by the time I get back

Yes, I can see now the OP is a little confused as to his planes of operation, thanks for the clarification

Yes, I can see now the OP is a little confused as to his planes of operation, thanks for the clarification

We now know the difference between a lift bridge and a swing bridge, an arse and a stern and what to call the sharp end. We are learning so much this morning. I almost don't mind THE PERPETUAL $£%*&^ING RAIN. Ooooh, sorry. Where are my pills?

Many thanks as always with this forum you can get more than you asked for. The Nicholson guide I was using called it a draw bridge, but I could not see a castle so called a swing bridge clearly incorrectly. At the end of the day (evening or night I think it is called) it is bloody hard work single handed to operate anything that isn't on the towpath side. Its bad enough with gates that don't open/close and dare I say it without bollards at the side of locks (incredibly useful if you are single handed)the journey would be near impossible. I hate controversy so in future front end will be pointy end and back end blunt end, does anyone have a comment about pump out v's cassette?

Only one that's impossible single handed (execpt I did it once thirty years back but can't remember how) is the swing bridge at the bottom of the Caldon. It's too high above the level of the canal to get off the boat onto, if you see what I mean. And even if you did, there's no way back down the other side when you;re pulling the boat through. Solution is to hijack a friendly dogwalker and get him to push the buttons. Otherwise, it's just scrambling and the odd curse.

What I do if I can't get in at the operational side is get off at towpath and take the bow rope over the bridge. Once across pull the bow over to you and open the bridge. Walk down the boat and drive it through, getting off on the operational side and this time taking the stern rope. Close the bridge, hop back on and off you go.

What I do if I can't get in at the operational side is get off at towpath and take the bow rope over the bridge. Once across pull the bow over to you and open the bridge. Walk down the boat and drive it through, getting off on the operational side and this time taking the stern rope. Close the bridge, hop back on and off you go.

There ae a couple of difficulties here:

1. All very well if the bridge swings away from the boat, but if it swings towards it, there is a distinct danger of clonking it, and even breaking windows - you don't have much control of a boat using the bow rope.

2. If you can't get to the operational side on arriving, what's to say you can from the stern to close the bridge?

Having said that, there are very few bridges where it is impossible to land at and depart from the control side. If it really is impossible, I would sit and wait.

I'm just about to singlehand the east side of the L&L, where most of the swing bridges are, so watch this space......

There ae a couple of difficulties here:

1. All very well if the bridge swings away from the boat, but if it swings towards it, there is a distinct danger of clonking it, and even breaking windows - you don't have much control of a boat using the bow rope.

2. If you can't get to the operational side on arriving, what's to say you can from the stern to close the bridge?

Having said that, there are very few bridges where it is impossible to land at and depart from the control side. If it really is impossible, I would sit and wait.

I'm just about to singlehand the east side of the L&L, where most of the swing bridges are, so watch this space......

If the bridge swings towards the boat open it before pulling the boat over to you. As for getting off once through you are climbing onto the stonework of the bridge and not into undergrowth. Having done the Leeds/Liverpool single-handed end to end plus many more this is the method I prefer and I haven't yet broken any windows, or any bones for that matter.

If the bridge swings towards the boat open it before pulling the boat over to you. ................I haven't yet broken any windows, or any bones for that matter.

I'm very glad to hear it, but since being left sitting on the end of a balance beam of a lift bridge on the South Oxford for half an hour last year after my boat, completely unbidden by me, drifted underneath it and stopped, I'm wary of tempting fate by making statements like that! :o

I'm very glad to hear it, but since being left sitting on the end of a balance beam of a lift bridge on the South Oxford for half an hour last year after my boat, completely unbidden by me, drifted underneath it and stopped, I'm wary of tempting fate by making statements like that! :o

I did say "yet", however I don't see how the boat is any more likely to drift if driven straight into the offside or pulled over; either way it's sat untied unless you can find something to tie it to and choose to do that. As I say it's my preferred method and, as with any operation involving bridges and locks, care is needed.