HELP!!!

Jakewilczynski

Featured Posts

Hi,

I am looking to rent a canal boat for a 3 month period over the summer on behalf of a client. The boat will need to fit up to 10 people, will be used for parties/events and redecorated.

The boat will be moored near Paddington, London.

Can anyone suggest a company that could assist?

Thanks,

- - - - - - -

Hi guys - as noted, apologies for the title!

Edited by Jakewilczynski

One thing to note... A one line title saying 'HELP!' on a boating forum is more likely to bring people running who have life rings, dry docks and bilge pumps than people with boat rental information. :lol:

Sorry, I don't have any relevant info for your request, but I think you might find you're asking for something that's going to be hard to realise if your specifications are non negotiable- though people more in the know than I am may be able to advise otherwise.

Good luck with it all.

Londons canals are virtually closed for visiting boats during the Olympics until 10 September this year. So if it's this summer, it's a big ask. All the moorings in that area are already allocated and paid for by private boats and no movement permitted.

you could try The Pirate Castle but they will normally have bookings at least on some weekends during the summer so a 3 month block booking would be tricky. http://www.thepiratecastle.org/

Edited by Lady Muck

I think the thing that might enable your search is money. This sounds like a corporate entertainment brief, in which case I expect there's a generous budget and you may be able to persuade someone to vacate their boat and rent it out to your client. Its unlikely to be cheap though. You might do worse than go down to Paddington and put the word out that you have a big cheque for someoene.

Hi guys - thanks for all the info and apologies for the title.

I know it is a big ask so will be tricky and unforunately the specifications are non-negotiable!

Thanks again,

Jake

"3 months over the summer".

To most people "the summer" is I would suggest July, August & September, so is what you really mean "for three months right now ?"

I have a feeling that not only may the "specifications abe non-negotiable", they may also be "no achievable", unless a lot of cash is on offer.

It would have to be a boat insured & safety certified for such a purpose, and with a commercial licence. A privately owned boat could not be used, and still be legal, IMO.

10? I'd suggest a widebeam...

Me too, if the OP means sleeps 10 there isn't going to be a lot of room on a narrowboat for the party bit!

Also by saying the requirements are non-negotiable I imagine many boat owners will tell you to stuff it.

If you're after a boat for parties, not staying on, then the Olympic water buses might be OK for you. Obviously they'll be busy during the games, but I believe they're designed to be reconfigured as party and event boats.

The figures they quote for such events during the Olympics are eye-watering, but if it's at other times and you're a regular customer, negotiation might be possible.

http://www.water-chariots.co.uk/

"3 months over the summer".

It would have to be a boat insured & safety certified for such a purpose, and with a commercial licence. A privately owned boat could not be used, and still be legal, IMO.

Pimms have just done this very thing but they started planning many months ago when they purchased a private boat, completely renovated and licensed it and if I remember correctly they even advertised for qualified skippers on here at an interesting rate. It now plies the Regent's Canal with an amusing entourage of actors on the roof and if you answer Pimms O'Clock when they ask if you know the time they activate the giant teasmaid on the boat which produces a jug of Pimms!

As it happens, I own/operate a small passenger boat with commercial mooring in Little Venice. :)

Happy to offer some advice but crikey you've left this a bit late if Olympics has anything to do with your project and I suspect that CaRT may now be a little busy to deal with new applications, but as they are promoting a boating trade 'floating market' for the Olympics they may just listen.

OP you can PM me once you make a few more posts.

Not particularly aimed at the OP, but people with money always leave things late because they think their cash can purchase whatever they dream up. Sometimes, it can't. And sometimes, I love it when that happens...

I don't want to upset anyone on here btw, I'm just saying that this happens regularly in the industry I work in.

• Greenie 1

Non-negotiable probably isn't the best way of phrasing it!

Cash isn't too much of an issue as the budget is open.

Thanks,

It may pay you to buy a boat and then resell it, or hire one from the midlands or north and transport it in by road.

Good thinking, Mr. Crawler. Unless I am mistaken, a forum member is currently offering a widebeam boat (pleasantly capacious for those 10-person groups) for sale. Initial outlay would be high, but would be offset by reselling the boat at the end of the three months.