Collision Repair

Featured Posts

I think bringing the handling in to question isn't fair. They do handle well.

.......... now, stopping in the same postcode (especially if it has a front drum brake) can be a challenge ;)

Agreed, and in last months classic bike there were several ways shown on how to improve braking for not a lot of dosh.

Bones that is an appalling dent. As for the Piano, that is sacrilege. I really really feel for you. What else got damaged inside?, stove hasn't moved to sprung its mountings?, or any pipework hasn't been crushed?.

In your place I'd like to have the boat lifted to have that complete section examined for being out of true, or any other form of distortion eg twisting of the shell. A heavy slam like you received could transmit enough energy to distort the metal far away from the prang site..

Again though my thoughts are with you, at least you are safe and well !'

Agreed, and in last months classic bike there were several ways shown on how to improve braking for not a lot of dosh.

.......... please don't say your going to open a "What type of anchor and length of chain to I need to stop my Classic British Bike" topic :lol:

It will be repairable I am sure.

And it better be repairable in situ as well!!!

.......... please don't say your going to open a "What type of anchor and length of chain to I need to stop my Classic British Bike" topic :lol:

And it better be repairable in situ as well!!!

That is VERY true..... it was interesting enough getting it in in the first place - but the piano expert extraordinaire is bound to be able to do it in situ....

I felt the 'questioning' tone of your post and Allan's as to how the collision occurred was unnecessary and unwarranted.

ed to add - Oh you've edited and moved on I see...hey ho.

Ed. because it was too catty, even for me.

But what you do have to understand Martin is that it is not for you to police what people say on the forum. You are not a mod and hopefully never will be. It is only for you to decide whether or not you wish to participate. Of course you can exporess any opinion you like but don't go getting all smug and sanctimonious when people respond in kind.

Edited by Chertsey
  • Greenie 4

Ed. because it was too catty, even for me.

But what you do have to understand Martin is that it is not for you to police what people say on the forum. You are not a mod and hopefully never will be. It is only for you to decide whether or not you wish to participate. Of course you can exporess any opinion you like but don't go getting all smug and sanctimonious when people respond in kind.

Fully aware of that cheers, I've been on internet forums long enough, I'm not trying to police anything any more than your comment on my post is an attempt to police my posts, you comment often enough on what people say I'm merely doing the same.

The feeling about you becoming a mod is wholly mutual by the way.

That is VERY true..... it was interesting enough getting it in in the first place - but the piano expert extraordinaire is bound to be able to do it in situ....

Knowing the trouble it took to put in, we will buy Tim beers to make sure it's fixable in situ :lol:

• Greenie 1

Knowing the trouble it took to put in, we will buy Tim beers to make sure it's fixable in situ :lol:

Good Plan!

The insurance company have sent me all the forms and I have been to get some quotes arranged for internal and external damage to the boat. The Piano genius has been asked to pay the Becjstein a visit and we go from there.

Any arguemnt will be an insurance argument. My blog, nor the forum, nor anywhere else is appropriate for it. People can justify themselves until they are blue in the face. I know what I saw, my crew (who had a good view of the bow) knows what he saw and the 4 other witness' know what they saw. We will all report, as will, no doubt, the other boat what they saw. The most important thing for this thread is ensuring that the works done on the boat are done well. I would like my boat and my stuff fixed as quickly as possible and being a believer in hope I hope that it will go well, quickly, smoothly and without too much stress. I am also a pessimistic optimist with realistic tendencies... but for now hope prevails.

I know that we are all eager to know more and that, apart from the usual curiosity, our thirst for information may be so that our own boating may benefit from the Bones' terrifying experience. Having said that, I think we have agreed that speculation is counter productive and we need to pay due regard to Bones' wish to let the respective insurers sort things out first. I am sure that, in due course, we will be enlightened with an accurate eye witness account of how it all happened.

In the meantime, the priority must be to get repairs underway and get Bones back to normal. It isn't very nice when someone slams a 20 ton weight into you home . . .

I know that we are all eager to know more and that, apart from the usual curiosity, our thirst for information may be so that our own boating may benefit from the Bones' terrifying experience. Having said that, I think we have agreed that speculation is counter productive and we need to pay due regard to Bones' wish to let the respective insurers sort things out first. I am sure that, in due course, we will be enlightened with an accurate eye witness account of how it all happened.

In the meantime, the priority must be to get repairs underway and get Bones back to normal. It isn't very nice when someone slams a 20 ton weight into you home . . .

I take it you're talking about the boat, not the person :lol:

<nip>

Absolutely, no-one enjoys a bash in the Bechstein

Richard

Quite right, well said.

Although it can be a help to share the experience we also need to b esenative to the situation and Bones feelings.

Still, one small chink of silver linning (although not comforting as such I am sure at this point) is that in the fullness of time the whole story should make good copy for Bones' excellent column in the Canal Boat Magazine. I always look forward to reading it.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would post a wee update.

My boat is now in the dock being repaired.

It has taken a while to arrange everything and to liaise with insurance companies and boat repair folks but everything is now underway. The gas locker lid and front doors will be adjusted so they open and shut without the assistance of a thwack. The dent in the bow will be cut out and replaced, and the internal wall that came detached from its fixings will be replaced too.

Once it is all done I will take some pictures.

Edit to add that the Piano was fixed pretty quickly and is back to full working order much to my delight.

Edited by Bones
  • Greenie 3

Also glad to hear the good ship is on the mend - any chance you might do that journey up the River Wey next summer to show us all at this end how well it's been done?

There might be new and exciting developments on the North End of the W & A to look at as well!

Richard and Nessa