Castleford Flood Lock

Grebe

Featured Posts

We went to Casleford Lock for a look round on Tuesday this week 19.06.2012. The flood lock was open and the gauge was just in the green band. tn_gallery_11540_784_64036.jpg

We decided to have another look today 23.06.2012 as the EA gauge was showing 3.3 metres on the Aire at Castleford. The highest ever being 3.48 metres and the recent latest 3.36 metres in 2007, so pretty high. The weir in town had basically disappeared.

med_gallery_11540_784_45126.jpg

This what we found at the lock. Lock landing well covered. Gates closed and water running weir through the slats in both gates and the level in the cut rising.

med_gallery_11540_784_57102.jpg

In the cut itself levels had risen and we noticed that the green boat, second from the top had started to list, so took a look and it was tied fore and aft plus a centre rope. The centre rope was now violin taught and pulling the boat over. No keeper at the cabin to talk to. All four moored boats were unoccuppied so nobody to talk to there. So we did the good neighbour thing and slackened off the centre rope.

• Greenie 3

Never seen it that high before.

It also goes to reinforce that you cannot rely on your boat being safe just because it's in a 'canalised' bit.

I wonder at what point the commercial stuff stop running, last time we were hemmed up in the cut at Castleford with the lights on red the commercial boats were carrying on oblivious, surely they are not running at the mo?

Edited by MJG

We have never seen it like that before but this weeks visits were our first for about 15 years.

After we got home the gauge was showing 3.33 metres at 1100hrs (BST), but had dropped to 3.26 metre at 1200hrs.

There are more images in SWMBO's blog. http://www.waterways-of-the-humber.blogspot.co.uk/

Great photos - we were there 2 weeks ago and went straight through the flood lock as the lock keeper had opened top and bottom gates. Amazing how quickly the river can change though (from fri pics to sat's pics).

We went to Casleford Lock for a look round on Tuesday this week 19.06.2012. The flood lock was open and the gauge was just in the green band. tn_gallery_11540_784_64036.jpg

We decided to have another look today 23.06.2012 as the EA gauge was showing 3.3 metres on the Aire at Castleford. The highest ever being 3.48 metres and the recent latest 3.36 metres in 2007, so pretty high. The weir in town had basically disappeared.

med_gallery_11540_784_45126.jpg

This what we found at the lock. Lock landing well covered. Gates closed and water running weir through the slats in both gates and the level in the cut rising.

med_gallery_11540_784_57102.jpg

In the cut itself levels had risen and we noticed that the green boat, second from the top had started to list, so took a look and it was tied fore and aft plus a centre rope. The centre rope was now violin taught and pulling the boat over. No keeper at the cabin to talk to. All four moored boats were unoccuppied so nobody to talk to there. So we did the good neighbour thing and slackened off the centre rope.

Hi

When it comes up realy bad it goes onto the path where the pedestrian is. It is nowhere near as bad as it used to be in the sixties and seventies as much work has been done to make it as it is now.I used to work in a shop in 1971/2 on Aire street just behind the weir and foam caused by it used to fill the adjacent streets knee deep. There is a bend of the river half a mile downstrem from your pics calle " Soapsuds corner " As a young bobbie in 1979 it was on my beat and was a proper full time, fully manned waterway then and cups of tea were to be had in the long closed office block adjacent to your first piccie. Its a great stretch of river, I was trapped in there last christmas for a few days ( the cut ) Good pics. :cheers:

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

Thanks Tim,

I'll pass your comment about the pics to SWMBO.

I used to live by the River Rother close to the Orgreave works. The Rother was always covered in brown suds through my childhood. Like the Aire it now has fish.

You'll be getting a dose of fresh down the Trent soon.

Have a greenie for the photos and for your good neighbourly actions :cheers:

Centre lines have their uses - but never for mooring unoccupied boats, especially when tied from the roof. Your photo clearly demonstrates that. Sadly, a lot of boaters have not yet got to grips with how to moor a boat safely and securely.............. but maybe we should keep reiterating the point.

Its very full in Ferrybridge as well, I put some pics on my blog - they havent uploaded very well as I did it from my phone but you get the idea. Once I've figured out how (new phone) i'll try and sort it. The weir at Kings Mills is level.

My link

This morning the couple who live in the lock cottage were out with sandbags. Lots of people at the pub, having a good gawp. If it rains as predicted tonight it is going to be interesting.

Edited by Lady Muck