Flooding on the Rochdale

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Rochdale Canal in West Yorkshire

Saturday 23 June 2012 until further notice

The Rochdale Canal in West Yorkshire has been heavily affected by overnight flooding. Water Levels are very high and the Canal is unnavigable. We advise customers not to attempt to move there boats and wait for water levels to subside. British Waterways will be undertaking operational test when it becomes safe for our staff to do so.

Apparently there is flooding in the Tod and Hebden area

Currently moored at Sowerby Bridge on the canal next to the river. The Calder was rising at about a foot an hour here last evening, finally reaching 0.2m about the previous highest level at about midnight. I was ready to leave the boat and run! The Tuel Lane lock keeper has shown me a picture of lock 18 on the Rochdale at Tod completely covered with water.

More rain due tonight, but hopefully not as much as yesterday.

My thoughts are with the people along Calderdale who have been affected by the floods.

Richard

Latest sit/rep from C&RT. Closed until mid-week

Rochdale Canal in West Yorkshire

UPDATE (23 June 2012): Rochdale Canal Update, 4 30pm Saturday 23rd June.

While we do not believe that the flooding has caused any catastrophic damage there are locations on the canal that are obstructed.

The canal is likely to remain impassable until the middle of the coming week at the earliest.

We will update further when we have been able to complete our necessary engineering assessments on Monday.

----------------------------------------------------

Stoppage history:

The Rochdale Canal in West Yorkshire has been heavily affected by overnight flooding. Water Levels are very high and the Canal is unnavigable. We advise customers not to attempt to move there boats and wait for water levels to subside. British Waterways will be undertaking operational test when it becomes safe for our staff to do so.

Enquiries: 01782 785703

More stoppages on this waterway:

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/rochdale-canal/boating/stoppages

You can find all stoppages at the url below:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Please do not reply to the email. It has been automatically generated.

To unsubscribe from this service please go to: http://www.waterscape.com/login and uncheck the relevant box.

Where's a "Rod a Mod from Tod" when you need one?

Trying to do what i can, where i can. We had a few evacuees at ours last night. Our front room smelt like the elephant house at Belle Vue Zoo this morning.

The worst is over now and its time to start taking the urine out of one another again.

• Greenie 3

Trying to do what i can, where i can. We had a few evacuees at ours last night. Our front room smelt like the elephant house at Belle Vue Zoo this morning.

The worst is over now and its time to start taking the urine out of one another again.

Well done have a greenie for helping out.

I have a soft spot for "The Rochdale".

Edited by Ray T

I have been waiting for ages to find a post that meets the standard for issue-ing my very first greenie. I think you shall get it!...:)

Latest update. BW/C&RT advise DO NOT PLAN ON THE ROCHDALE BEING OPEN FOR A FEW WEEKS.

Rochdale Canal in West Yorkshire between locks 1 - 36

UPDATE (25 June 2012): During the day we have been able to inspect more fully the damage caused by the flooding at the weekend.

We are finding that most of the locks between Locks 11 and 19 have been affected to some extent by erosion and the build up of materials at the lock landings which would prevent their use. This makes the locks unsafe to use in their current condition. We are pleased though that the lock main structures checked to date have been unaffected.

We have not yet been able to prove the navigability of the main channel which will be done over the next 2 days as well as the final lock checks.

Much of the towpath in this length is covered in a thick silt that is very slippery. We would advise people to find an alternative routes to the towpath for the time being.

It is not clear when we will be able to reopen the canal. Public safety is our first concern and we have to make sure that the locks can be used properly. We still do not know if sand bars have formed in the canal that will need removing but will do so in the next day or so.

For the time being people should plan for the canal remaining closed for a period of a few weeks. We will update further as better information becomes available. We apologise for being unable to be more definitive about this but it is still very soon following the flood and we have to complete the checking process.

Enquiries: 01782 785703

More stoppages on this waterway:

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/rochdale-canal/boating/stoppages

Latest update. BW/C&RT advise DO NOT PLAN ON THE ROCHDALE BEING OPEN FOR A FEW WEEKS.

Rochdale Canal in West Yorkshire between locks 1 - 36

UPDATE (25 June 2012): During the day we have been able to inspect more fully the damage caused by the flooding at the weekend.

And, strangely, no mention of this obstruction:

rochdale24.jpg

And, strangely, no mention of this obstruction:

Yes, but cut them a little slack, please!

That is an obvious fault, easy to see the extent of it, and relatively easy to deal with.

It's the stuff hidden from view below the water level that is more serious, because it's currently an unknown, and more than likely spread over a larger area.

Let's have a bit of realistic appreciation shown.

I'm surprised, and disappointed, at your attitude of trying to score any points, anyhow. It is not up to the normal standard of your posts.

Regards.

Yes, but cut them a little slack, please!

That is an obvious fault, easy to see the extent of it, and relatively easy to deal with.

It's the stuff hidden from view below the water level that is more serious, because it's currently an unknown, and more than likely spread over a larger area.

Let's have a bit of realistic appreciation shown.

I'm surprised, and disappointed, at your attitude of trying to score any points, anyhow. It is not up to the normal standard of your posts.

What ever are you talking about, David? Where is there any point scoring? I think you are reading things into my comment that are not there. I said it was strange that there was no mention of the stuck boat, and strange it is. Let's not get carried away, please!

Although BW say to expect the canal to be be closed for several weeks, I think they will be pulling out all the stops, not least because of the effect it will have on Shire Cruisers, the biggest 'customer' of the canal. Whether Nigel Stevens being on the CaRT Council will be a factor, I don't know, but with the river beyond Brighouse also still closed, this is a big hit on a major hire company. I think it will be open on a 'proceed with care' basis by this time next week.

rochdale24.jpg

An update to this situation.

Apparently Burnley Road, the main road west out of Hebden Bridge, is being closed after midnight tonight while the boat is recovered. This presumably means that they are going to bring in a very large crane with a long reach, as it will need to go over the tops of trees to reach the boat.

Maybe something similar to this crane that was used to lift a footbridge into position over the railway in Mossley, where it needed to reach over a row of houses:

mossley111bl.jpg

Once the boat has been removed BW will announce a system of "assisted passage" between Locks 11 and 17, as access to the lock landings is blocked by silt and debris.

(Edited to correct tpyo.)

Edited by MartinClark

To fill in the details, here is the latest from BW. Sorry not to post it earlier, but I was proceeding down the HNC on an increasingly hot day, finishing with a carpet on the prop.

UPDATE (27 June 2012): Following the severe flooding over the weekend, the Rochdale canal is now open at the following points:

• between lock 1 (Sowerby Bridge), and lock 9 (Hebden Bridge). Winding is possible between lock 8 and lock 9, in the mouth of the dry dock. Tuel Lane Lock will be operating normally following the issue of this notice;

• from the Summit, lock 36 down to lock 17; winding is possible between lock 17 and 18 by Baltimore Marina.

• The canal is not affected from lock 37 to lock 92.

The canal between locks 11 and lock 17 received the most damage and remains closed for safety reasons until the removal of flood debris is completed. Lock 9 to 11 – is navigable but there are is no winding available in this length.

The opening of the canal to navigation is now dependent on the removal of a stranded boat blocking the canal, expected to be complete tonight; and the implementation of a regime of assisted passage that we will give more information on in the next few days. Many of the lock landings are unusable because of the build-up of washed out silt next to them and we have to have a system that addresses this issue.

When the canal does fully reopen there is the possibility that customers will encounter sand bars and potentially other hidden obstructions that we have not found during our inspections – we would ask customers to proceed with caution and report these to us through our Red Bull office.

The towpath will remain closed as a consequence of flood damage.

We will keep customers informed about our progress. Customers at moorings with specific difficulties should contact our moorings team to discuss those, general questions should be directed to our Red Bull office.

About turn on the Leeds Liverpool for us and back to Wigan. Currently at Shipley. May even be able to see Pendle hill this time !

We were headed up the Rochdale in 2008 and someone dumped a 50 gallon drum of weedkiller in the cut just outside Manchester so we ended up back to Shipley the way we had come via Wigan, and the year before it had been the guy cutting off the lock balance beams that aborted our trip on it. Its not a lucky cut. While in Shipley make sure you have great curry buffet at the Aagrah, and wear your loosest jeans. Happy cruising.