London Moorings?

Stevethetrain

Featured Posts

I've been challenged to find four places that offer residential moorings in the London area complete with mooring fees, pumpout/ diesel and gas prices and oh! Don't forget to ask if cats are allowed. :banghead:

I need to convince someone before I can buy a canal boat. :help:

I've been challenged to find four places that offer residential moorings in the London area complete with mooring fees, pumpout/ diesel and gas prices and oh! Don't forget to ask if cats are allowed. :banghead:

Brentford basin

How about this at BW. https://www.bwmooringvacancies.com/

You need four residential London moorings for one canal boat?

It might not be up to them - if a local authority decides that they dont want residentials you could be booted out sharpish.

I guess I'm fortunate in that I could cc properly if I had to. Or moor anywhere on the system. So the lack of security of tenure is no big deal to me. For others, it would be a big deal.

Thanks for the replies so far!

I need four options for one boat.

I also hope the marina managers aren't that bad as to kick people out on a whim.

Are options 2,3 and 4 in case you get kicked out of 1 ?

Don't know about availability, but High Line at Iver is almost London, as is Packet Boat, which does residential. Willowtree marina does residential but you have to buy the leasehold - nice place though. Engineers Wharf is residential, quite full just now but worth a look, friendly place. High Line at Northolt does residential. Brentford Island has a few residential. Ice Wharf do resi, very pricey. Worth checking the other London BWML marinas - can't remember off the top of my head, but some do residential. You do get residential moorings on the Thames too - I don't know these well but they do come up from time to time.

Other than that you're looking East, or waiting for rare BW online moorings. We managed to get a residential online mooring in West London through this forum, so keep an eye on the forums too!

Good luck :)

Don't know about availability, but High Line at Iver is almost London, as is Packet Boat, which does residential. Willowtree marina does residential but you have to buy the leasehold - nice place though. Engineers Wharf is residential, quite full just now but worth a look, friendly place. High Line at Northolt does residential. Brentford Island has a few residential. Ice Wharf do resi, very pricey. Worth checking the other London BWML marinas - can't remember off the top of my head, but some do residential. You do get residential moorings on the Thames too - I don't know these well but they do come up from time to time.

Other than that you're looking East, or waiting for rare BW online moorings. We managed to get a residential online mooring in West London through this forum, so keep an eye on the forums too!

Good luck :)

Although there are a few places in London that do proper residential moorings (BW Engineers Wharf, just 5 berths at Brentford, Ice Wharf Marina, Blomfield Road Residential, Abbots Wharf, Anderson's Wharf and the private Highline Northholt and Iver) finding a vacancy is going to be much much harder. Snap up a berth at Engineers Wharf before they are all gone as they seem to be the only available ones at present.

Hope you find what you want. Best of luck.

D

Although there are a few places in London that do proper residential moorings (BW Engineers Wharf, just 5 berths at Brentford, Ice Wharf Marina, Blomfield Road Residential, Abbots Wharf, Anderson's Wharf and the private Highline Northholt and Iver) finding a vacancy is going to be much much harder. Snap up a berth at Engineers Wharf before they are all gone as they seem to be the only available ones at present.

Hope you find what you want. Best of luck.

D

Have I missed something? Why is it going to be much harder?

It might not be up to them - if a local authority decides that they dont want residentials you could be booted out sharpish.

I guess I'm fortunate in that I could cc properly if I had to. Or moor anywhere on the system. So the lack of security of tenure is no big deal to me. For others, it would be a big deal.

Is it actually possible to cc around there I am thinking about taking some work on a 6 month contract?

Is it safe to leave the boat?

thanks.

Edited by KirraMisha

Of course, but I wouldn't want to do it, but that's why I've got a mooring.

Just the same as houses there is crime, it comes and goes, especially when you consider some of the areas the canal goes through it's not surprising. We've had another mini crime wave in Tottenham, for instance - 11 cc boat break-ins in the past few weeks. But you would probably find the endless stream of 'artists' wanting to do a project about liveaboards and shoving a camera in your face more annoying.

It's also busy, especially if you can only move your boat at the weekend it can take you all day, just because there are barely any water taps, places to take your rubbish etc. If you are a cruiser you won't be welcome at boatyards unless you buy diesel or other services.

If you are thinking about doing it, send Cosmic a private message and get on the London Boaters email list. There you'll get useful up-to-date information about security, boaters meetings etc.

If your 6 month contract is soon, bear in mind that the Olympics will mean the navigation is effectively closed from start of July for three months for most of the centre of town. During that time the 14 day rule will be suspended, but there will be extra pressure on boater services due to all of the boats that have had to move. None of us know what to expect, tbh.

Of course, but I wouldn't want to do it, but that's why I've got a mooring.

Just the same as houses there is crime, it comes and goes, especially when you consider some of the areas the canal goes through it's not surprising. We've had another mini crime wave in Tottenham, for instance - 11 cc boat break-ins in the past few weeks. But you would probably find the endless stream of 'artists' wanting to do a project about liveaboards and shoving a camera in your face more annoying.

It's also busy, especially if you can only move your boat at the weekend it can take you all day, just because there are barely any water taps, places to take your rubbish etc. If you are a cruiser you won't be welcome at boatyards unless you buy diesel or other services.

If you are thinking about doing it, send Cosmic a private message and get on the London Boaters email list. There you'll get useful up-to-date information about security, boaters meetings etc.

If your 6 month contract is soon, bear in mind that the Olympics will mean the navigation is effectively closed from start of July for three months for most of the centre of town. During that time the 14 day rule will be suspended, but there will be extra pressure on boater services due to all of the boats that have had to move. None of us know what to expect, tbh.

Thanks for the information Lady Muck some food for thought for me to churn over.

Thanks.

Because when BW/ CRT clamp down on continual moorers in the London area some of them will want moorings

I guess the key word is 'when'. Admittedly I don't moor around that neck of the woods any more but when I was on the GU South and around London in 2001-2004 everyone was expecting a big clamp down then which never ever really happened. Not sure what has changed now except the vans have got new stickers on the side and there's more boats thus making the job harder?

BW continue to clamp down on serious overstaying/unlicensed boats, but the funding for that is limited.

But since the Lee and Stort moorings proposals were thrown out (I think every user group out there thought they were ridiculous), BW and London Boaters are now trying their best to work together with the assistance of Locality. We are talking and there will be changes.

I got involved with London Boaters only recently (in the last few months) and have been attending regular workshops with Locality and other community and user groups and although it's early days, we are making progress and there are several exciting plans and projects in the pipeline.

More soon, when (fingers crossed) we will be able to make an announcement about our first project to come to fruition. Watch this space.

hi steve im at packet boat its got it all,nice pub's im happy,good parking,can recomend it,very happy,give me a shout if you wish to have a look and stay over so you can get a feel for it,good luck.

steve west.

Edited by stevewest