Single locks...did I invent this...?

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Nice alarmism, but basically what you're saying is pushing against the rubbing plate only works when there's a rubbing plate.

I make no apologies for it being perceived as alarming. I think its important that boaters have an awareness of the dangers of locks and the easy steps they can take to avoid that danger becoming a reason for an accident. Its not as simple as just saying it works if there's a rubbing plate, there's still opportunity for snagging boat up above the plate, if doing down. (There is still a risk - albeit very small, damage would have to have been done recently etc) of snagging on eg protruding stonework, even if you keep the nose well clear of the front gate, etc)

In that particular accident, the lack of rubbing plate was one factor, but there were at least 3 others which all coincided, which turned it into a trajedy.

When I'm single handing up Bath Deep Lock, I open the paddle on the boat's side slowly (let me repeat that.. ;-) ), which simply pins the boat to the wall.

Most times. Wheeler.

Btw, you never rang, you didn't need a lockwheeler in the end?

I tried to ring from Pewsey, but lacked signal.

We had assistance up the flight from two friends (neither CWDF members), the male half of the couple is a lockwheeling machine... mind I suppose some people think that of me.

On the way back down people saw the slightly bizarre sight of a widebeam and a cruiser sharing the locks. The combined width was around 18 feet, but our combined length was just under 70 feet.

However I do have your phone number to hand for next time, the only question is whether it is next time we are going through Devizes or the next time we want to share beer...

• 1 month later...

Indeed. My wife and I used this technique right from the beginning with our first narrowboat. It just seems the obvious thing to do. Also works in wide locks, no need to tie up even when the only boat.

Hireboaters do it widely too, including that poor lady who died in Varney lock near Cropredy a few years ago now. I was there and the incident still troubles me deeply. Basically she fell off the back of the boat with the engine in reverse and got sucked under so so the technique is not without risk.

I also wonder how the OP manages when single handing the boat.

we were on the canal that week. Didn't find out till just before we reached Cropredy. It felt strange going through there even though we'd been that way a couple of times before.

I'm still not sure the best way of doing locks? And I still get caught out by the water flow lol

• 2 weeks later...

I make no apologies for it being perceived as alarming. I think its important that boaters have an awareness of the dangers of locks and the easy steps they can take to avoid that danger becoming a reason for an accident. Its not as simple as just saying it works if there's a rubbing plate, there's still opportunity for snagging boat up above the plate, if doing down. (There is still a risk - albeit very small, damage would have to have been done recently etc) of snagging on eg protruding stonework, even if you keep the nose well clear of the front gate, etc)

In that particular accident, the lack of rubbing plate was one factor, but there were at least 3 others which all coincided, which turned it into a trajedy.

As a newbie I found the report helpful. Whilst I was aware of the problem of getting hung up on the cill whilst descending I hadn't considered the issue which this report highlights.

I've just seen Sue's reply (from July!) asking me if there are no lock ladders at Marple. I have no idea why I didn't see it earlier.

I thought the technique you described, Sue, involved hopping off at the lock entrance and letting the boat wander in by itself. ("I get off as NP goes gently into the lock by herself") That would be hard to do at Marple as the steps up from the boat are comparatively high up and are set back somewhat from the mouth of the lock.

I didn't think you meant that you bring the boat into the lock and then climb up the ladder. Yes, that can be done, of course, although the locks are deep and the ladders long and slimy. Sorry for the misunderstanding...