Who blatantly dumped this rubbish

c c

Featured Posts

This thread reminnds me of an episode of One Foot in The Grave when Victor Meldrew sees someone throw litter from their car.

He later sees what he thought was the same open topped sports car and retaliates by emptying the contents of a dustbin bag into it.

Needless to say, it turns out to be a different car and owner.

Keith

Edited by Steilsteven

rubbish001.jpg

By badsey at 2012-06-21

This bag of rubbish ws left yesterday at Hillmorton Locks under the sign that asks people NOT to do so and directs them to the nearby rubbish bins. For years we have taken it on ourselves to remove rubbish that boaters dump all over the site because they can't be bothered to walk to the bins. Since I put the sign on the wall last month, this is the first bag that has been dumped. When I looked inside I found a name and telephone number on a document. I can't describe my feelings of rage when the identity revealed was that of an early IWA member and speaker on canal subjects who has been decorated by The Queen and currently Chairing an Olympic Committee. At finding that this blatant anti-social behaviour seemingly involved a supposed leading member of the community, a short internet search quickly revealed full details of the person and I sent him an email. He has not replied and so my question to you all is:-

What do you think I should do with this information?

He could actually be taking the mick!

Visialise all the crap children have to live in in Africa,perhaps put a bin where the bag is creating a soloution rather than another problem.

Just an idea as the bag looks placed to me not dumped.

The guy may be as blind as a bat!

Edited by KirraMisha

He could actually be taking the mick!

Visialise all the crap children have to live in in Africa,perhaps put a bin where the bag is creating a soloution rather than another problem.

Just an idea as the bag looks placed to me not dumped.

The guy may be as blind as a bat!

Aye - he may be blind.

Are blind people allowed to drop bags of rubbish wherever they want then?

Visialise all the crap children

My children are nice, can I visualise them instead?

Seriously though, if every single moan and groan was dismissed by thinking about all the shit that happens to someone else we would soon descend into accepting an existence just the same as their standard of living.

Should we stop complaining (or just commenting) about our lives until children are wandering around our towns, bellies bloated with kwashiorkor, flies buzzing round their eyes, or should we aim to maintain our standards and hope to help others less fortunate improve theirs too?

My children are nice, can I visualise them instead?

Seriously though, if every single moan and groan was dismissed by thinking about all the shit that happens to someone else we would soon descend into accepting an existence just the same as their standard of living.

Should we stop complaining (or just commenting) about our lives until children are wandering around our towns, bellies bloated with kwashiorkor, flies buzzing round their eyes, or should we aim to maintain our standards and hope to help others less fortunate improve theirs too?

No, we should aim to IMPROVE our standards and help others less fortunate improve theirs too.

Edited by Guest

How, why do these countries that have nothing produce so much rubbish?

Martyn

In many of these countries, there are extremely rich people, and extremely poor people. The extremely rich dump their rubbish in the extremely poor's back yard (so to speak.)

In many of these countries, there are extremely rich people, and extremely poor people. The extremely rich dump their rubbish in the extremely poor's back yard (so to speak.)

A bit like here then?

The gent in question has at last made contact this afternoon but I did not enjoy his reply as he first telephoned and denied all.

Then he emailed saying he "had no recollection" (where have we heard that recently) and had spoken to all those on his boat at the time he passed through Hillmorton Locks who also "had no recollection", (what is the collective term for a boat full of people with short term memory loss?) of leaving a bag of rubbish, but "clearly did" (his words). No apology was included.

However, as he lived a long, long way away, (44.6 miles according to Google) if I would put his rubbish in a bin, (obviously I had immediately removed it from where it had been dumped to avoid rats and cats ripping it open to get at the uneaten food) implyng that I have a similar lapse of recall, he would make a donation to my favourite charity.

As my wife suggested - if he had just said at the start of all this "Oh silly me, so sorry, it is my rubbish bag but after 50 years canal boating perhaps we're getting on a bit and one of us just put it down for a chat and forgot to pick it up again" - we would have just thought "Oh Bless, we'll be at that stage of life soon".

I have replied that he can either match the £1,543 that our Bistro regulars have just raised for the Mikron Theatre or come and take his property away before the authorities do.

• Greenie 1

A bit like here then?

The gent in question has at last made contact this afternoon but I did not enjoy his reply as he first telephoned and denied all.

Then he emailed saying he "had no recollection" (where have we heard that recently) and had spoken to all those on his boat at the time he passed through Hillmorton Locks who also "had no recollection", (what is the collective term for a boat full of people with short term memory loss?) of leaving a bag of rubbish, but "clearly did" (his words). No apology was included.

However, as he lived a long, long way away, (44.6 miles according to Google) if I would put his rubbish in a bin, (obviously I had immediately removed it from where it had been dumped to avoid rats and cats ripping it open to get at the uneaten food) implyng that I have a similar lapse of recall, he would make a donation to my favourite charity.

As my wife suggested - if he had just said at the start of all this "Oh silly me, so sorry, it is my rubbish bag but after 50 years canal boating perhaps we're getting on a bit and one of us just put it down for a chat and forgot to pick it up again" - we would have just thought "Oh Bless, we'll be at that stage of life soon".

I have replied that he can either match the £1,543 that our Bistro regulars have just raised for the Mikron Theatre or come and take his property away before the authorities do.

You have made your point - time to stop milking it...

will they do it again...?? - pretty unlikely I would think.....

a result surely? unless we are going for the full public flogging/humiliation option...

Edited by MJG

You have made your point - time to stop milking it...

will they do it again...?? - pretty unlikely I would think.....

Blimey - Have to agree with Martin , or at least next time they will remove any traces of identification !

A bit like here then?

With all good intention where exactly has he put this rubbish?

Is it right next to the canal?

Is it a random place or is it possible people can mistake for a place to put bags?

I ask as a sign has needed to go up.

A bit like here then?

Absolutely full marks Ian - - -well done squire!

If the eedjit had shown the good grace to apologise genuinely, then at least one could maybe have believed that the issue had been accepted, and that he may not have repeated the offence.

As it is, your description suggests that the teflon-coated 'erbert was too busy insinuating that it was his boat crew at fault, though they too are suffering from terminal amnesia.

If his pride forbids him from making the 44.6 mile journey to recover his property - - then it deserves to be brought to the attention of the Fly-tipping Polizai

Have a greenie, with Bar and tick ✔✔

Maybe he is making a point that he can no long stop his boat by the elsan disposal point like he use to and that the bins are no longer there convincingly for boaters to use like they use to be. Maybe we will find out if/when he answers you.

Maybe he is making a point that he can no long stop his boat by the elsan disposal point like he use to and that the bins are no longer there convincingly for boaters to use like they use to be. Maybe we will find out if/when he answers you.

Now that's a whole new topic with which we sympathise and indeed its taken 9 years of negotiation to get BW to agree to our insistance that the public should have legal land access to the Elsan Point since it was that long ago that Health & Safety decreed that there must be railings to prevent access directly to it from a boat! But I am not sure your dirty protest suggestion by this particular boater is valid.

To answer others: -

Yes I do feel I am now milking it every time I update the saga but thought having started it, those that click on the subject do so because they want to know the outcome. I apologise if it upsets some but you can always avoid the topic.

And every time rubbish is dumped in the entrance to the Elsan Point, either my wife or I remove it to keep the access clear and discourage vermin. Unless it is obviously discarded rubbish, I always look inside, especially when it is quite a clean bag, just in case it is genuine lost property or discarded stolen goods, which someone may want returned to them. In this case the documents could be seen through the bag.

Edited by canalchef

I just find it a little bit sad that somebody should feel obliged to pick through somebody's, who-evers, rubbish, and then point dirty fingers?

just chuck it in the bin!

One bag of rubbish, once - I agree with you.

Unfortunately there is a long history to this thread which hasn't been made clear. This isn't the only bag dropped by boaters that Canalchef has to clear up and throw away (using his own commercial bin that he pays for I guess)

Richard

One bag of rubbish, once - I agree with you.

Unfortunately there is a long history to this thread which hasn't been made clear. This isn't the only bag dropped by boaters that Canalchef has to clear up and throw away (using his own commercial bin that he pays for I guess)

Richard

I understood from his OP that there was a bin (not is own) nearby - Ok still extremely unfair to expect others to move it but I don't read it that he's using his own disposal facilities...

rubbish001.jpg

I understood from his OP that there was a bin (not is own) nearby - Ok still extremely unfair to expect others to move it but I don't read it that he's using his own disposal facilities...

rubbish001.jpg

Unless you are blind leaving rubbish below that sign can be nothing but irresponsible

I think canalchef has every right to keep this topic going with updates. I for one am interested in the outcome. Unfortunately to many boaters think they can dump rubbish wherever they want. I personally would rather see the system full of boaters that never move(CMers) than all the rubbish I see on a daily basis. I guess the reason he can not recollect dumping that bag of rubbish is because it is his normal behavior and one dumped bag of rubbish is much the same as the next. If I was canalchef I would but the bag in a glass case with a plague naming the culprit that dumped it send him a photo so that he will be able to see that he will always be remembered as a bad example to other boaters.

If you can't read you won't progress far in the IAW.

Indeed - it was more a general point as to why somebody might not be able to read the sign rather than a specific reason as to why it might have been left by somebody in particular.

(Of course it still doesn't make it right though)

ed to make sense.

Edited by MJG