Who blatantly dumped this rubbish

c c

Featured Posts

I am yet another one of that growing minority who has no idea who this is.

However, since Canalchef has contacted him about finding the bag, I suspect that he has now learned his lesson and that, in future, he will make sure that there is no incriminating documentation inside his rubbish bags when he dumps them!

Sure, the chap has been naughty and what he's done is reprehensible but, lest we forget, all this furore has been about just ONE bag of rubbish. Thank goodness he didn't dump two bags, WW3 would have broken out by now.

Its quite common here for boaters to bring their shopping from the supermarket in a trolley and then just leave the trolley on the towpath to be be pushed into the river by kids.

Bizzard, I've seen shoppers push them straight into the harbour here, after unloading (usually cases of booze)

I agree. The OP has already made an unsubstantiated allegation and shies away from naming this alleged fly-tipper because he instinctively realises this, I suspect.

Nothing wrong with posting the facts as they stand though, leaving the reader to draw their own conclusion, e.g:

"Here is a photo of a bag of rubbish I found deposited below a sign I put up. Inside the bag I found a document addressed to IWA member <name>. I have emailed him telling him this document was found inside the rubbish bag as he would probably want to know, but he has not responded".

(Edited to tinker with the wording :) )

What allegation? I alleged nothing against anybody.

It would seem to be you who makes a totally unsubstantiated allegation that the perpetrator IS an IWA member. I said he WAS an EARLY IWA member - I have no idea if he is currently an IWA member. And there was no document addressed to anyone. Your embroidery is not helpful in answering my genuine question. As for naming and shaming, I am giving the person named on the document that I found in the bag, time to respond. He is not answering on email and his telephone is on answerphone.

Thanks for the clarification. My apologies.

So please could you expand on why you express rage in your OP that a document bearing the name of an ex-IWA member was found in a bag of rubbish? Anyone could have put that piece of paper in the bag and your rage should be directed at the as yet unknown person who dumped it.

Many of the contributors to this thread appear to have taken your post (as I initially did) as an allegation that the bag was dumped by the ex-IWA member, and your concern was whether to name and shame. Now you confirm you are alleging NOTHING. Thank you for clarifying this.

Maybe the calls to identify this ex-IWA member named on a piece of paper inside the bag will now abate!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

It would seem to be you who makes a totally unsubstantiated allegation that the perpetrator IS an IWA member. I said he WAS an EARLY IWA member - I have no idea if he is currently an IWA member. And there was no document addressed to anyone. Your embroidery is not helpful in answering my genuine question. As for naming and shaming, I am giving the person named on the document that I found in the bag, time to respond. He is not answering on email and his telephone is on answerphone.

I often think that if this forum was a serpent it would be eating its own tale!

I can easily understand your frustration at folk dumping their rubbish and then to cap it all an apparent connection to a well known figure.

Good luck in getting a response and whatever else you decide to do.

However, since Canalchef has contacted him about finding the bag, I suspect that he has now learned his lesson and that, in future, he will make sure that there is no incriminating documentation inside his rubbish bags when he dumps them!

There is also a lesson in here for all of us - the information Canalchef found in the rubbish as to the identity of the depositor of the rubbish could have been used by a less scrupulous member of the public in an identity theft. We should all take care in what we put in our rubbish even if we use the BW provided facilities.

....the information Canalchef found in the rubbish as to the identity of the depositor of the rubbish could have been used by a less scrupulous member of the public in an identity theft....

...how about a ticket for the dry cleaning of four silk ties and a pair of trousers...

"I say! You're wearing my tie!"

"Sir, you are mistaken, this is my tie. I am you and I have the trousers to prove it!"

Maybe he is out boating

BW have not got back to me and as its the weekend, are unlikely to do so for the next couple of days. So, having read all your advice I have decided today that I shall write to the home address of the person named on the dry cleaning slip.

Whether it was actually he who dumped the bag or not, the document is clearly his property (whether or not someone actually maliciously put the dry cleaning slip into someone elses bag of rubbish in the wild hope that someone would find it and jump to the wrong accusation, as suggested by Mike the Boilerman), and so he will be invited to come and collect it. It is not a long drive from their grand house and we shall see what results.

• Greenie 1

BW have not got back to me and as its the weekend, are unlikely to do so for the next couple of days. So, having read all your advice I have decided today that I shall write to the home address of the person named on the dry cleaning slip.

Whether it was actually he who dumped the bag or not, the document is clearly his property (whether or not someone actually maliciously put the dry cleaning slip into someone elses bag of rubbish in the wild hope that someone would find it and jump to the wrong accusation, as suggested by Mike the Boilerman), and so he will be invited to come and collect it. It is not a long drive from their grand house and we shall see what results.

Excellent stuff, Ian.

I wonder whom the 'person' will blame on the dumping - - wife, friend, offspring - or whether he'll postulate that as he had put the offending bag IN the correct receptacle - then some ne'er-do-well will have mischievously removed it and re-located it.

Or maybe it was a fox?

I really can't wait to learn . . . Could this be featured in one of the sub-plots on the Archers I wonder?

Nope - and lets leave it now until he decides what to do.

I didn't think it was.

In the 1950s R M Bilton scammed the IWA into believing he was a decorated Naval Officer so successfully that they appointed him Chairman but was quickly ousted when they discovered his ruse.

I'm sure there was more scrambled egg on their faces than on his epaulettes.

Surely this is a prime story to send to narrowmindboatworld. They love any excuse to kick BW IWA etc in the nuts.

As the story originated on CWDF they've probably already picked it up and are ready to name and shame, once each bit of paper, with one of every former IWA member's name on, has been folded up and put in Tom's hat.