Steam Narrowboat Rally - Coventry

DHutch

Featured Posts

Photos to follow, but a quick heads up for those interested.

A fellow steam narrowboat owner has arranged an meeting of steam narrowboat in coventry of the coming weekend. The event is in the main a private one organised in conjunction with the SBA as there is not the space for the boats/cars/people, however spectators are always welcome if you are in an around the area of Hawksbury Jn (saturday) and Coventry Basin (sunday).

Total turn out is expected to be nine, including emilyanne, which represents the majority of the steam narrowboats on the system.

Daniel

We are moored at Sutton Stop. Quite a sight for sore eyes, even in the middle of a downpour as President, Laplander, Hasty, Emily Anne, Whistle Down The Wind and Adamant steamed into Hawkesbury Junction. A mini-steam boat convention seems to have broke out. A number of wet crew were seen to abandon their vessel and head directly for the Greyhound!

M n M

We are moored at Sutton Stop. Quite a sight for sore eyes, even in the middle of a downpour as President, Laplander, Hasty, Emily Anne, Whistle Down The Wind and Adamant steamed into Hawkesbury Junction. A mini-steam boat convention seems to have broke out. A number of wet crew were seen to abandon their vessel and head directly for the Greyhound!

M n M

Grab some pics when it stops raining!!

M n M

That would be because of this weekend's steam boat rally in Coventry.

Having had far too much wine and food to work out how to do this properly heres the link to the pics I took today:

If anyone feels like sorting thro them and putting some directly on the board I wont feel affronted!

Cheers

Gareth

edited to add that I appear to have turned it into a slideshow..... :banghead:

I give up....if anyone fancies sorting it feel free!!

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1

Having had far too much wine and food to work out how to do this properly heres the link to the pics I took today:

If anyone feels like sorting thro them and putting some directly on the board I wont feel affronted!

Cheers

Gareth

Can't see anything except a black square!

Edited by DHutch
Sildeshow removed from quote

Linking to a Flickr set automatically turns it into a slideshow so you haven't actually done anything wrong :)

The slideshow mode is not faultless in displaying them, but some excellent photos there. We certainly had an excellent weekend and hopefully although I didn't take any photos myself to speak of my dad will put up the photos he took of the event for me to share with you.

Boats in attendance where:

- Emily Anne

- Hasty

- Adamant

- Laplander

- Whistle Down the Wind

- Tixal

- Trevor

- Radnor

- and President

Notable boat not present: (for reference, not naming and shaming, purposes)

- Swallow (of Ricky boat festival fame)

- Pussy Willow (all be it, afaik, yet to be complete)

- Ictus (all be they, landlocked on the Monty)

Which is to say, basically, everyone made a really great effort, with Whistle Down the Wind coming all the way from the Leeds and Liverpool for the event and getting a prize for doing so.

Daniel

Curiously for me I'm in a half way house.....

Most of the pictures I can see, but some, (only a few), result in a blacked out screen. (Windows / Firefox).

Same here - Windows/Chrome - fast cable BB connection...

• 2 months later...

Daring to deviate from the Slide Show issue for a moment, I have spoken to Philip Martino of "Adamant", one of the organisers of the Coventry Steam Canal Boat Rally and he is resolved to organising a repeat event next year so perhaps you could help if you know the owner of a steam boat be it a launch or narrowboat, who might like to come along, please encourage them to do so.

Nothing has been planned yet and I think the organisation will be quite flexible but we had 9 boats this year which was brilliant and we would like to expand this next year hopefully by coaxing some launches etc.

We didn't do a lot of publicity this year because we honestly didn't know what to expect, in the end it was a pretty nice do. We also didn't want the Coventry City Basin to get clogged up with visiting boats either so we tended to keep it under our hats until the last minute. Next year I think we can afford to be a bit braver and let everybody know much earlier.

Regards

Keith

• 8 months later...