Elecrickery

Gibbo

Featured Posts

I really don't know what to say.

There are some people on here who really do know what they are talking about on matters "boat" related or "canal" related, or "canal history" related etc etc etc.

There are a few less who know about boat electrics, but they are still here. There are some competent boat electricians here. Some very competent ones.

The problem is that there are more people on here who actually don't know about boat electrics than those who do. So those who actually do know what they're talking about get shouted down by a load of "know nothings", who will give you incorrect, and possibly highly dangerous, advice.

Very difficult position to be in.

On matters "canal history" or "boat operation" you cannot fault this forum, but when it comes to matters technical, you have a serious dilema!

There are one or two absolute buffoons on here who think they are experts, and experts they are far from being.

Sorry, but that's just the reality.

Be very careful who you listen to.

This post probably sounds highly insulting, and in fact, it probably is highly insulting to those who don't know what theyre talking about, but those who know exactly what I mean. will undersatand that this post is not aimed at them, but at their adversaries.

Two greenies already

Guest wanted

Yep, I know I tend to post more on the subjects that allow for opinion but I would never give advice on either sparks or gas as a) I don't know enough about it and b ) I don't want a boat fire or worse on my hands. Conversely I would have to be 100% sure that the advice I had been given was correct, not so easy I guess.

My dad is terrible at saying he can do something and generally ballsing it up, I learnt a long time ago to bow out when my knowledge runs short.

Others may disagree ;)

Not insulting at all, frankly it's stating the bleedin' obvious

Just watching the knots that people tie themselves in confirms this

Richard

Anyway, I'm just off to do some vector diagrams on logarithmic graph paper for the fuse I need to check tomorrow

• Greenie 1

The problem is that there are more people on here who actually don't know about boat electrics than those who do. So those who actually do know what they're talking about get shouted down by a load of "know nothings", who will give you incorrect, and possibly highly dangerous, advice.

Welcome back, but could you please avoid the use of bold text.

I have been very reliably told by those who understand these things that far more current is needed to display this on my computer screen, and that is why my domestic batteries are not staying adequately charged, despite me running the engine for up to half an hour nearly every day.

I feel sure if we could all avoid the use of this bold text, there would be far less people with charging issues......

• Greenie 3

So ... putting your electrickery expertise aside (how come you are back)...

have you swallowed your pride and agreed the mods can actually mod this forum?

Welcome back, but could you please avoid the use of bold text.

I have been very reliably told by those who understand these things that far more current is needed to display this on my computer screen, and that is why my domestic batteries are not staying adequately charged, despite me running the engine for up to half an hour nearly every day.

I feel sure if we could all avoid the use of this bold text, there would be far less people with charging issues......

:clapping::lol:

I really don't know what to say.

There are some people on here who really do know what they are talking about on matters "boat" related or "canal" related, or "canal history" related etc etc etc.

There are a few less who know about boat electrics, but they are still here. There are some competent boat electricians here. Some very competent ones.

Very difficult position to be in.

On matters "canal history" or "boat operation" you cannot fault this forum, but when it comes to matters technical, you have a serious dilema!

There are one or two absolute buffoons on here who think they are experts, and experts they are far from being.

Sorry, but that's just the reality.

Be very careful who you listen to.

This post probably sounds highly insulting, and in fact, it probably is highly insulting to those who don't know what theyre talking about, but those who know exactly what I mean. will undersatand that this post is not aimed at them, but at their adversaries.

Good-oh. As someone who has been asking a few electrics questions this week, how exactly does one decipher between dangerous advice and expert advice?

:glare:

By the way, Mister Fincher, How does purple font affect your battery usage? ;)

Edited by BlueStringPudding

So ... putting your electrickery expertise aside (how come you are back)...

have you swallowed your pride and agreed the mods can actually mod this forum?

Perfectly clever question (as I would expect from you).

In answer to the second two...

I have not.

See later. I don't believe they can, anymore

In answer to the first...

However I do feel a certain sense of responsibility to my co canal habitees (who I actually love - I lived amongst them for many years) and feel kinda guilty when someone gives them bogus/bullshit electrical advice. Someone could die as a result of such bollocks advice. Whilst I'm looking in on the forum it would be professionally irresponsible to ignore such dangerous advice. Whilst I'm not looking in it's not my issue.

I wonder if the mods can be sued for dodgy eleccrical advice that leads to someonme's death? You reckon they can be sued for libel?

Think about it. Is it any different?

Hey up.

You can ask me and I'll tell you who is talking the truth and who is talking utter bollockx!

:)

Which kinda doesn't really hekl the forum as a whole! I accept that

Gibbo

I wonder if the mods can be sued for dodgy eleccrical advice that leads to someonme's death? You reckon they can be sued for libel?

Think about it. Is it any different?

Site owner can be sued for both (not the mods) is this really the second coming?

Hi Gibbo

Welcome back (again). The trouble is you don't say who are the bogus bullshiiters and who are the electrical saints! Personally I hope I am not the former but definitely not the latter. I have learnt a huge amount from this forum, SG website etc about boat electrics - having arrived with a reasonable knowledge of electrics / electronics in general but very little specific boat electrics knowledge, by participating in debate I think my knowledge has improved far more than if I had just watched from the sidelines. There then develops a wanting to give something back into the system by giving advice where it is asked for - that advice being a distillation of knowledge gained from others combined with common sense and knowledge of basic physics / electrics. Hopefully I get it right most of the time, but for sure not all the time. So learning continues - a good case in point was a recent discussion on the merits of battery isolators for maintenance vs just pulling the +ve battery lead off. It had never occurred to me that isolators might be explosion-proof but it seems at least some are. So one more little gem into the brain.

Anyway, in summary I suspect there are many like me who are somewhere between the extremes you quote. A poster asking for advice surely has to bear in mind that this is by and large and amateur forum and has to take their own responsibility for choosing which argument to believe and act upon. I would also say that a professional is someone who gets paid for their work, but not necessarily someone who is any good or knows their stuff!

• Greenie 1

Hi Gibbo

Welcome back (again). The trouble is you don't say who are the bogus bullshiiters and who are the electrical saints! Personally I hope I am not the former but definitely not the latter. I have learnt a huge amount from this forum, SG website etc about boat electrics - having arrived with a reasonable knowledge of electrics / electronics in general but very little specific boat electrics knowledge, by participating in debate I think my knowledge has improved far more than if I had just watched from the sidelines. There then develops a wanting to give something back into the system by giving advice where it is asked for - that advice being a distillation of knowledge gained from others combined with common sense and knowledge of basic physics / electrics. Hopefully I get it right most of the time, but for sure not all the time. So learning continues - a good case in point was a recent discussion on the merits of battery isolators for maintenance vs just pulling the +ve battery lead off. It had never occurred to me that isolators might be explosion-proof but it seems at least some are. So one more little gem into the brain.

Anyway, in summary I suspect there are many like me who are somewhere between the extremes you quote. A poster asking for advice surely has to bear in mind that this is by and large and amateur forum and has to take their own responsibility for choosing which argument to believe and act upon. I would also say that a professional is someone who gets paid for their work, but not necessarily someone who is any good or knows their stuff!

lovely..

no expertise though puts you immune from the mods opinion on the rules and guidelines. I'm not sure why some members think theirs does.

Bizarre that my response to this thread was completed deleted.

Or was it?

I can say nothing more.

Yes it has gone.

It replied to several question, in particular several from Martin, in serious detail. All of which, I belveive, were satisfactorilory answered to Martin.

I am not typing at all again.

It was there 5 minutes, ago, now it is not. Some kinda joke.

Hi Gibbo

Welcome back (again). The trouble is you don't say who are the bogus bullshiiters and who are the electrical saints

Ok here we go (under the threat of legal action)...

Smiley pete has some odd ideas. He might kill himself with some of those ideas (remember the saw blade Pete?) or reach incorrect conclusions [the lead on the meter probes]), but he'll never kill you. He does know the dangers, can probably protect himself against such dangers, and will never tell someone else to do something stupid. His electrical advice is usually pretty sound and practical. He tends not to go for esoteric solutions, but for more practical stuff.

Allan Jones talks sense. I don't always agree with his low voltage DC diagnoses, but that's all personal choice. He still talks sense when it comes to AC safety.

Chris W did the same. I didn't always agree with his DC diagnoses etc. but you could listen to him and he would never put your life in danger.

Julian (Idleness) is probably worth listening to more than most others on here. He might go a litle bit overboard on safety, but that's because he's actually trained to know the dangers and actually understands just how lethal 230 volts can be.

Of the others that I'd trust, there exist Bottle, Graham and a few others that I forget the names of. There may be others, and I'm not saying I've missed any incompetents, just that I couldn't remember them when I typed this.

John Orentas and Chris Pink both talk complete shit and both are liable to kill someone sooner or later.

How much clearer could I be?

• Greenie 4