Lucky escape for the owner.............

bargiepat

Featured Posts

Not clear if they saved the man from a pontoon or the weir barrier ?

This report in the Daily Mail .....

In Worcestershire, a man is recovering after being rescued from his boat which got trapped in the middle of the swirling and flooded River Severn, one of the country's most powerful rivers.

His 40ft long boat got pinned broadside against a pontoon at the Diglis Basin, where the river passes through Worcester, last night.

The man was trapped on board with flood water rushing past him, the boat unable to be moved because of the pressure of the current against its hull, holding it fast against the pontoon in mid-river.

Fire crews managed to rescue the man, who was unhurt, at considerable risk to themselves, but couldn't save the boat which smashed free of the pontoon and was swept downstream.

It was located, badly damaged, almost 10 miles downriver south of Upton-on-Severn, near the M50 bridge today.

Hi,

It is amazing that it escaped from this situation, maybe it went under the barrier somehow.

With the boat listing like that, the red floats could act as rollers and lift the cable up and over the boat.

I'm always slightly scared when looking at those barriers that the sections between the floats have handles hanging down, presumably as last-ditch grabs for anyone in the water and heading for the weir.

MP.

Guest wanted

I'm glad nobody was hurt and I hope the boat can be sorted out easily.

I'm glad nobody was hurt and I hope the boat can be sorted out easily.

From the picture looking at the other side the boat is already going up and over. Once its got some weight on there it will push the orange sausages down.

We were supposed to go up the Severn Thurday this is cancelled now. We were going to go up the avon instead but thats heading into the red to. Stupid rain.

With the boat listing like that, the red floats could act as rollers and lift the cable up and over the boat.

MP.

My thoughts too - easy to imagine how from that position they could 'roll' over the top of the boat, and it slip underneath.

My thoughts too - easy to imagine how from that position they could 'roll' over the top of the boat, and it slip underneath.

Serious scary, a couple of years ago we got stuck on the Nene when it was in flood and that was not pleasant but this must have been frightening.

Looking at that pic, cant believe the boat didnt sink. Very lucky-though bet he didnt feel it at the time.

Read back through the post, he wasnt on the boat when it was stuck at the weir, presumably at Diglis river lock, about a mile downstream from the pontoon where he was taken off the boat.

Steve

edit for spolling

Edited by sharpness

Not clear if they saved the man from a pontoon or the weir barrier ?

This report in the Daily Mail .....

In Worcestershire, a man is recovering after being rescued from his boat which got trapped in the middle of the swirling and flooded River Severn, one of the country's most powerful rivers.

His 40ft long boat got pinned broadside against a pontoon at the Diglis Basin, where the river passes through Worcester, last night.

The man was trapped on board with flood water rushing past him, the boat unable to be moved because of the pressure of the current against its hull, holding it fast against the pontoon in mid-river.

Fire crews managed to rescue the man, who was unhurt, at considerable risk to themselves, but couldn't save the boat which smashed free of the pontoon and was swept downstream.

It was located, badly damaged, almost 10 miles downriver south of Upton-on-Severn, near the M50 bridge today.

I did. Maybe the wrong bit but thank you for taking the time to point my error out.I would not have bothered myself.

The chap is lucky to have been resuced from that situation.

It does beg the question what the bloody hell was he doing out on the river in those conditions though :angry:

As far as I can tell, he wasn't rescued from there. There are at least four locations involved in this story:

• The pontoon he was rescued from
  • The weir barrier photographed
  • The place that Dor was moored when his boat was hit by Shirley Ann
  • The place where Shirley Ann was recovered

I don't remember reading anything that suggests he was out boating either

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Read back through the post, he wasnt on the boat when it was stuck at the weir, presumably at Diglis river lock, about a mile downstream from the pontoon where he was taken off the boat.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I think he was rescued from the weir as both reports say things like........ 'rescued from his boat which got trapped in the middle of the swirling and flooded River Severn'........ 'The man was trapped on board with flood water rushing past him, the boat unable to be moved because of the pressure of the current against its hull, holding it fast against the pontoon in mid-river.'

I think you are confused by the words ........... 'His 40ft long boat got pinned broadside against a pontoon at the Diglis Basin.'

Here is a pic. of the area, I cannot see any pontoon upstream that he could have been rescued from, perhaps you owe Paul an apology ....

Regards, Patrick.

diglisbasin.jpg

Well, the boat is still down by the gravel depot and has been pumped out by the look of it as it is back on an even keel.

hopefully the damage is not too severe.

ETA: And now the river has dropped two feet over the last 24 hours I get a stoppage notice from BW this morning to say that due to rising water levels Diglis lock is closed. About 2 days too late I reckon.

Edited by dor

Hi Douglas

Pleased too hear you did not get too badly damaged.

So glad we decided not too stay behind you on Sunday and made the the effort to get into the basin at Diglis!!

When we came up to the canal lock into the basin there where two boats moored on the pontoon down stream , I wonder if Shirley Ann was one of those?

Nigel

Hi Steve,

I think he was rescued from the weir as both reports say things like........ 'rescued from his boat which got trapped in the middle of the swirling and flooded River Severn'........ 'The man was trapped on board with flood water rushing past him, the boat unable to be moved because of the pressure of the current against its hull, holding it fast against the pontoon in mid-river.'

I think you are confused by the words ........... 'His 40ft long boat got pinned broadside against a pontoon at the Diglis Basin.'

Here is a pic. of the area, I cannot see any pontoon upstream that he could have been rescued from, perhaps you owe Paul an apology ....

Regards, Patrick.

I could well be wrong & if I am I apologise to Paul. I read it all as he was pinned against the landing pontoon (which I cant see on the pic) just below the entrance lock to Diglis Basin & the boat went on down to the weir on its own.

Steve