Please take part in an important liveaboard survey!

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I don't want to start an argument though, I was simply asking if people could take part in this survey, I had no idea it would be so controversial!

Dave.

Sadly on this forum everything has the potential to be controversial and things can slide into an argument very easily.

I wish you all the best with your research. I cannot help you as we do not live aboard but if we did I certainly would do so.

If other people do not wish to take part then that is up to them but I think it is a shame to publicly pull apart a guys work. Constructive critism is one thing but at this point in proceedings it is probably too late to make much in the way of changes to the survey so why try and pull it apart?

I spent years asking questions as a market research interviewer and I know how careful the wording of questions has to be and how hard it can be to find a representative sample to interview. I would often start interviewing a person based on them fitting my criterier from the screening questions at the start only to realise a few questions in that it was fairly obvious they had stretched the truth in order to qualify to take part. It is human nature I am afraid!

David - And tramping the towpath is what i've been doing for the last three months, from Birmingham to Llangollen. However, it does no harm to look for data in more than one way, so I came on here. Interestingly, lots of 'serious academic researchers' (of whom i'm not one) collect data online. It's fine, provided you recognise the potential limitations when writing up.

I'm not sure why you're repeatedly making assumptions that I haven't done things which I have done? You could have asked about the various other ways in which I have been collecting data rather than making unfounded accusations that I'm taking the easy way out?

I don't want to start an argument though, I was simply asking if people could take part in this survey, I had no idea it would be so controversial!

Dave.

Dave, I also wish to avoid an arguement, and am glad that you have now revealed more infomation which challenges some my earlier assumptions. Clearly you are conducting your research in a more academec fashion than initially suggested, and I would not have made many of my comments had you disclosed the context of your request in the first instance. Perhaps you are beginning to discover that many of us who have been around a long time have become very cynical about requests for information from previously unknown people, often seeking to short cut proper independant research.

I still conduct a lot of research, and also use the internet for some information, however I have always maintained the principle that I never publish any results that cannot be verified either from a separate source or from an undisputable single source. It may be somewhat old fashioned, but I also expect the same standards from others, Unfortunately there is a lot of published material available which is just plain wrong, but that does not prevent it being repeated by people too lazy to conduct their own research. If I have wrongly tarred you with the same brush I apologise.

Sorry to disagree with you again David but online survey sites are an effective and completely acceptable way of conducting this kind of research. If he were to tramp the towpath he would not reach nearly so many people, and would not be able to assure them of confidentiality. I am not sure what you mean by 'unverifiable'; a towpath survey would be even more so, but that is where academic integrity comes in. What sort of survey would be 'verifiable' in your terms, I wonder? I would also be surprised if academic standards were lower at Brimingham than at Exeter or even Oxford (although teaching methods are likely to differ at the latter). Birmingham is a very reputable institution.

I think you do, but are still seeking to make a point. However, to clarify what I mean by unverifiable is that the reseacher cannot guarantee that all the responses he receives are from members of the target research group. If that satisfies the expectaions of academic integrity, I accept that view, but in response I would ask that you accept that my research expectations require either verification from a separate source or from an undisputable single source. It probalby explains why my work takes so long to reach publication, but in doing so I remain far more confident that it cannot be challenged easily.

Edited by David Schweizer

Dave, why don't you consider posting the survey questions here so that people can read them and discuss them if they want to (as is going to happen either way) rather than filling it in to see the questions and possibly skewing your results with responses from the wrong demographic?

A previous member....a fleeting member....also asked boaters to complete a survey as part of her uni research. She promised us feedback but never returned once she had the surveys done...hopefully you will consider giving the forum members feedback, not just the official bodies....if we are interested enough to help, I for one should like to know your conclusions please.

A previous member....a fleeting member....also asked boaters to complete a survey as part of her uni research. She promised us feedback but never returned once she had the surveys done...hopefully you will consider giving the forum members feedback, not just the official bodies....if we are interested enough to help, I for one should like to know your conclusions please.

There have actually been quite a few requests for people to participate in research over the years. From recollection they were all poorly constructed and presented, and I cannot remember one which ever came back with the results. Hence my initial cynicism regarding the current one.

Edited by David Schweizer

This sounds a much more seriously thought out project than some we have been presented with previously and I think Dave has answered all the points raised.

David, you say that in your research you only use reliable sources and double check, confirm etc, which is of course all right and proper. But when you use a piece of published, peer reviewed research, published in a reputable journal, the gold standard of reliability, that still started off with someone collecting data by one of the means Dave is using. The fact that there need to be checks and safeguards to ensure accuracy is part of what Dave will have learnt/be learning in the course of undertaking this project. I am more than happy for my students to use online survey sites as a means of administering questionnaires, which are one means of data collection, often augmented by interviews.

Thank you to everyone who has completed this questionnaire so far. I've had loads of good responses. I promise I will share my findings with you guys on here. Looking at the data, I have collected so far, I can see some clear differences between the experiences of continuous cruisers and those with permanent moorings. Fire safety and accident rates also look interesting but of course I need to do some statistical analysis before I can be sure of anything.

Interestingly, in the light of the discussion on this thread, I can't see much in the way of obvious differences in the responses I have collected online when compared to face-to-face. This might change as I get more responses.

Dave.

p.s. please make it clear on the questionnaire if you aren't answering seriously. There are some I have received which obviously fall into this category.

There have actually been quite a few requests for people to participate in research over the years. From recollection they were all poorly constructed and presented, and I cannot remember one which ever came back with the results. Hence my initial cynicism regarding the current one.

I was bound by client confidentiality from reporting my results back...

I was bound by client confidentiality from reporting my results back...

I'm not sure what form your results took, but I certainly won't be publishing the specific answers given by each person. What I will do is report back on my general findings. For example, I might find that 15% of people below 30 have had a fire on their boat recently while only 5% of people over 65 have. This is the sort of things which I would be happy to share on this forum. For me, this side-steps any concerns over client confidentiality.

I'm not sure what kind of study would only produce results which might compromise client confidentiality.

Dave.

Dave.

Welcome to the forum. :)Controversy is what keeps it's wheels (I mean propshaft) oiled. You'll survive. (I did). You aint seen nothing yet :)

p.s. please make it clear on the questionnaire if you aren't answering seriously. There are some I have received which obviously fall into this category.

It's a shame some have tried to spoil your survey but those that want to this deliberately are hardly likely to announce that this is what they intended/intend to do are they....

Is it not possible to eliminate these responses with the agreement of your academic supervisor... :unsure:

It's a shame some have tried to spoil your survey but those that want to this deliberately are hardly likely to announce that this is what they intended/intend to do are they....

Is it not possible to eliminate these responses with the agreement of your academic supervisor... :unsure:

I think think that the non-serious replies are not malicious - from earlier posts it seems it was the only way to view the whole questionnaire (though why anyone would want to do that if they weren't eligible to/did not intend to respond is a bit of a mystery, perhaps they just wanted to criticise).

There's no problem or permission needed to remove/ignore invalid responses; the problem might be identifying them though.

Tea is fine by me. I do have a weakness for gin though. Specifically this right now http://www.bruichladdich.com/the-botanist-islay-dry-gin/the-botanist

Scottish gin is a new one on me, but why do many arty-farty artisanal products adopt an impossible to read style?

BTW, although other students asking for info have come across as 'outsiders looking in', Dave appears to be an 'insider looking around'. Did you take part in your own survey, Dave?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Scottish gin is a new one on me, but why do many arty-farty artisanal products adopt an impossible to read style?

BTW, although other students asking for info have come across as 'outsiders looking in', Dave appears to be an 'insider looking around'. Did you take part in your own survey, Dave?

Good question. I haven't yet, because it doesn't feel right.

Good question. I haven't yet, because it doesn't feel right.

Just a thought might not your sample of he survey be slightly biased towards the web enabled and therefore maybe slightly wealthier live aboard, who as a result might be also be healthier, apologies now if I have offended anyone by suggesting they are healthier or wealthier than others !

Ooh, intruiging. I like Bruichladdich, so might have to try some of their gin. My favourite at the moment is http://www.fabulousvodka.co.uk/Our-Drinks/Perivale-Dry-Gin.html We first tried it at Ricky - it's made by a boater and Perivale is where we held our wedding reception by the canal. Lovely stuff :)

So, I've done the survey and if you would like to repay me in gin... ;)

Just a thought might not your sample of he survey be slightly biased towards the web enabled and therefore maybe slightly wealthier live aboard, who as a result might be also be healthier, apologies now if I have offended anyone by suggesting they are healthier or wealthier than others !

I wish i was wealthier, I have a feeling I'm not though as my friend recently told me that i'm no better off financially than i would be on the dole lol!

Survey done ;)

I'm not sure what form your results took, but I certainly won't be publishing the specific answers given by each person. What I will do is report back on my general findings. For example, I might find that 15% of people below 30 have had a fire on their boat recently while only 5% of people over 65 have. This is the sort of things which I would be happy to share on this forum. For me, this side-steps any concerns over client confidentiality.

I'm not sure what kind of study would only produce results which might compromise client confidentiality.

Dave.

I was gathering evidence rather than conducting a study...