Instant Grab adhesives

Featured Posts

I have recently had some new steel back cabin doors fabricated for our boat and am intending to fix the existing wooden doors onto them. I have bought some "Sticks Like" grab adhesive, which has received good trade reviews, but was wondering whether I can glue the doors, which are currently painted, onto the primed steel, or whether I should remove the paint from one or both surfaces.

I have successfully used grab adhesive to glue bare wood onto primed steel before, but there is litle force on the joint wheras a heavy wooden door will exert quite a lot of force, and I wish to avoid using screws to keep them in palce unless really neccessary.

The instructions make no reference to removing paint just to ensure that the surfaces are cleaned of any dust, oil or loose material, which suggests that a good painted surface should be OK, but I would welcome the benefit of other member's experience/advice.

Edited by David Schweizer

Hi David

Of course it depends on how well the paint is adhered to each surface. I've often adhered paint to painted surfaces as long as I was happy the painted surfaces were solid. I know sticks like Sh1te is good stuff although I haven't used it myself. Over the past 2 years I've used Stixall, it's a brilliant adhesive that sticks almost anything and an excellent sealer, I like it for boats as it stays slightly flexible where as some of the grab adhesives have dried like rock and cracked. I'm not sure if Sticks like has that flexibility, but if it has, personally I would go ahead and use it. Flat steel doors will move in differing temperatures and the wood too of course so that would be my choice as a brittle glue is likely to crack.

Guest wanted

I think it will be fine, I take it you will be clamping the doors on overnight or so? My experience has been sticking things like plaster board and wood to the underside of primed RSJs and I don't recall any issues. We used to use pinkgrip as it has a good initial grab, however most of the adhesives on the market these days are 10 times stronger than the materials being used.

There were a couple of small beads of adhesive on the underside of the cartridge which were quite rubbery in texture, if they were reremnants left from the tube filling process, it certainly is flexilble.

I the doors will be laying flat for glueing, and will be clamped for 24 hours duruing the curing process, so hopefully no screws will be needed

Edited by David Schweizer

There were a couple of small beads of adhesive on the underside of the cartridge which were quite rubbery in texture, if they were reremnants left from the tube filling process, it certainly is flexilble.

I the doors will be laying flat for glueing, and will be clamped for 24 hours duruing the curing process, so hopefully no screws will be needed

Hi David

I would scratch over the painted surfaces with some 60/ or 80 grit abrasive, doing this will also show any weak spots in either of the painted surfaces if they exist and give the adhesive something to get it's teeth into. Clamp the centre of the doors first to ensure no trapped air.