Stratford Avon Canal

leggo

Featured Posts

I am hiring a boat from Alvechurch and would like to know how long it should take to go fron Kings Norton Junction to Stratford and back and how many locks there are each way. Any suggestions of where to stop overnight along the way would also be helpful. we are also considering Birmingham canal navigations but this does seem to be very urban for much of the way and I have the idea of travelling through countryside in a more rural setting stopping at country pups.Or if anyone has any other suggestions of routes we can do in a week would be greatly apprecitaed we are beginners, and the one place we would like to visit is the Black Country musem.

I am hiring a boat from Alvechurch and would like to know how long it should take to go fron Kings Norton Junction to Stratford and back and how many locks there are each way. Any suggestions of where to stop overnight along the way would also be helpful. we are also considering Birmingham canal navigations but this does seem to be very urban for much of the way and I have the idea of travelling through countryside in a more rural setting stopping at country pups.Or if anyone has any other suggestions of routes we can do in a week would be greatly apprecitaed we are beginners, and the one place we would like to visit is the Black Country musem.

31 miles and 55 locks each way from Alvechurch to Stratford. That is a reasonably brisk hire -week ie 6.5 days, bearing in mind the siuthern Stratford (after Lapworth) can be quite slow. You probably wouldn't want to nightstop between Kings Norton and Warings Green (bluebell cider house) but anywhere after that is rural and safe. Popular spots are Lapworth Top lock, and almost anywhere after Lapworth junctions until you get to the suburbs of Startford. The Fleur de Lys at Lowsonford is a pleasant pub to stop at, though recently we found the landlord a bit grumpy, and he will shout at you if you tie up to his trees rather than the bollards. Pubs in Wilmcote are OK but not right beside the canal

Best overnight moorings in Stratford are right at the end of the canal in Bancroft Basin, although that can be a bit noisy, or out onto the Avon provided river current is not too bad. You would need an additional licence to go onto the Avon, not sure if the hire company would have that already.

From Kings Norton Junction it is an easy run into central Birmingham, and it is a pleasant place to go with a lot going on and safe moorings either before or after Gas St. Basin. However I think you would be pushed for time to include that in your trip unless you like very long cruising days. Getting to the Black Country Museum is a whole lot further rand I am sure you wouldn't have time for that as well.

we are also considering Birmingham canal navigations but this does seem to be very urban for much of the way and I have the idea of travelling through countryside in a more rural setting stopping at country pups.Or if anyone has any other suggestions of routes we can do in a week would be greatly apprecitaed we are beginners, and the one place we would like to visit is the Black Country musem.

OK, here's a route you could consider as an alternative, which includes the Black Country Museum. It contains a mix of BCN, most of which is urban, plus some more rural and pretty bits.

Day One: From Alvechurch, head towards Birmingham city centre. Depending on what time you get away, you could stop at Hopwood, or the secure Bourneville moorings.

Day Two: This is a longish day. Continue into Birmingham and take the New Main Line to the end; go up the Factory Locks; and turn left for the Black Country Museum. There are good moorings here.

Day Three: Spend the day at the museum.

Day Four: Leaving the moorings, turn right and take the Old Main Line (comparing the curves of this route with the straightness of the New line), go down Smethwick Locks and back to Brum city centre, where there are good moorings by the NIA and the sealife centre. You'll have the afternoon to visit Birmingham.

Day Five: This is a longish day, so start early. Go down the Farmer's Bridge Locks. Turn right and go down the Ashted Locks and through the very small tunnel, and then up the Camp Hill Locks. Continue to Catherine de Barnes where you can moor.

Day six. Go down the Knowle Locks (which are wide, so you get to experience some big locks) Continue to Kingswood Junction where you turn right, and can stop for a look around. Then go up the Lapworth Locks. (This gives you a pretty flight of locks.) Moor at the top, or if you've got up the locks quickly you could continue to Hockley Heath or the Blue Bell.

Day Seven: Continue on the Stratford Canal to King's Norton Junction, turn left to Alvechurch. Good moorings in the village.

Day Eight: round the corner to the boatyard to hand back your boat by 9am.

Canal Plan says this route is only about 33 hours, but you need a few long days to get through the places you wouldn't want to stop in! However, I reckon it's a good mix.

Edited by adam1uk

If you're starting from alvechurch then it's 110 locks there and back to stratford. I would say that that's a fair bit for a novice boater but if you're up for that why not consider doing the whole avon ring which is 129 locks? it's a bit further but you tend (in my experience) to make quicker time on the rivers anyway. i would agree with some previous comments about mooring issues. in particular when heading north from alvechurch, watch out for unruly kids just north of the wast hills tunnel (a notorious problem spot) and i wouldn't moor up anywhere along the stratford canal until you at least get as far as the shirley lift-bridge, or better still, earlswood boat club. after that, the journey down to stratford is lovely all the way. plenty of locks, if you like that, nice pubs at lowsonford, wootten wawen and wilmcote, a couple of good sized aqueducts and safe moorings everywhere. i know you have to get a licence for the avon but i really can't see the point of getting to stratford and not going onto the river - it's brilliant fun!

adam's option would take you to the black country museum but you'll lose a lot of rural cruising. in particular going down farmer's bridge and out through east birmingham also presents mooring issues until you get to catherine de barnes. Also i've heard recent reports of shallow water and slow going in this area, along with parts of the worcester and birmingham around bournville and selly oak, although I guess holiday boats have pretty shallow drafts.

if i were you, i'd head to stratford and see how you do for time. if you get to stratford in 3 days or less, go for the whole ring. if by 3.5 days you still haven't got to stratford - turn round and head back or you'll end up over-running.

If you want to know all the pubs along the Stratford Canal, then there is a link in the signature below

I would suggest only the Masons Arms is worth visiting for food - excellent selection and great value for money. Stratford has a miriad of chain/clone outlets and good independents

You can moor on the River Avon overnight opposite the Royal Shakespeare Theatre for £5 (http://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/assets/files/2012%20licence%20info.pdf)which is a lot quiter than the basin

It all depends what time you head out of Alvechurch... You haven't got a choice!

Bet to keep a couple of route options open; clockwise or counter on the Avon ring would be a start; maybe looking to turn right at Worcester as an alternative.

The Lapworth link might be an interesting destintation!

If ABC don't give you the tiller until 4pm you'll be wondering whether to stop at Hopwood...

oops.. Stratford & the BCLM in a week will make for looooooooong days!

If you're heading for Stratford but time is looking short or the weather discouraging you could stop at Wilmcote where there are good pubs and touristy things like Mary Ardens house. Consider a visit to Stratford by train from there. It gets you there in about eight minutes as opposed to a full day by boat and gives you a chance to restock the larder. You will have done the most attractive part of the South Stratford anyway. Consider a side trip along the GU to the top of Hatton Locks.

If you're heading for Stratford but time is looking short or the weather discouraging you could stop at Wilmcote where there are good pubs and touristy things like Mary Ardens house. Consider a visit to Stratford by train from there. It gets you there in about eight minutes as opposed to a full day by boat and gives you a chance to restock the larder. You will have done the most attractive part of the South Stratford anyway. Consider a side trip along the GU to the top of Hatton Locks.

That's a great idea!

Dont go too far past the winding hole at Wilmcote if you intend to stop there and visit Stratford by train.

If my memory serves me correctly there's no turning point after Wilmcote until you get to Stratford

Geoff

Dont go too far past the winding hole at Wilmcote if you intend to stop there and visit Stratford by train.

If my memory serves me correctly there's no turning point after Wilmcote until you get to Stratford

Geoff

Canalplan says there is a winding hole below Wilmcote top lock but only suitable for up to 50ft. IIRC it's actually just a wide bit of pound between the locks :)

Below the top lock at Wilmcote has always been able to turn a full length boat

Also, many people use the winding hole immediately above Birmingham Road Lock (down Wilmcote, down Bishopton Lock and along the pound to the last 4 locks into Stratford)where there is good mooring and within easy walking distance of the town centre

• 3 years later...

Whatever you do, avoid the Navigation Inn at Wootton Wawen. Miserable S.O.B. of a landlord who treats his customers as a hindrance to his evenings TV viewing!

Nothing's changed at the Navigation! No dogs allowed. However The Bulls Head up the road has been taken over by the same people who run The Fleur-de-lys in Lowsonford. Excellent food and drink and really friendly staff. Well worth a visit!