Brown water rafting

dor

Featured Posts

Well that's what it felt like!

We were moored at Worcester, but had planned to be at Upton-upon-Severn to meet No2 son tomorrow. The forecasts a couple of days ago looked so good.

Anyway, the rain kept coming so rang the Diglis lockkeeper midday. Well, we are still open he said, We are not into 'indemnity' yet.

Watching the river, it didn't seem to be getting any slower and the rain kept coming. After an hour or so cogitating I decided to go down to the lock. "If it's too exciting" I said, "we can stop by the lock". It didn't actually seem too bad. got into the lock and the lockkeeper said that "well the levels are 'normal' but watch out for debris". So at least I was still insured.

We left the lock and it didn't frighten me. There was however a lot of floating logs etc. which we had to keep a good lookout for. In the more open sections the wind was more of a problem, with breaking waves which made it difficult to see the debris.

We did get shouted at to "slow down" by one moored boat. Being as I was doing about 3mph through the water and over five over the ground, with 2 ft high waves with breaking crests, I didn't really feel too guilty. Especially as there was about 20 metres between me and the moored boat.

Eventually reached Upton and turned below the bridge. Quite exciting going rather fast sideways but managed to turn into the current. No moorings to be had, but dropped Chris off under the bridge and she went up to one of the boats on the pontoon to ask if we could breast up,which they generously agreed to.

Now moored up for the night, the rain has stopped and the level even seems to be dropping. For reference, 1.10 metres on the Worcester EA gauge seems to equate to the top of the green at Diglis lock.

It probably felt more exciting than it was due to the high winds - the sheltered sections seemed much more benign. Having said that, looking out of the side hatch at the river it does seem to be going past rather fast!