Engine control panel Beta 43

Featured Posts

Running my engine whilst moored this morning, I noticed an intermitant fault the three dials, Rev counter, Oil pressure and water temp were fluctuating although the engine revs were constant.

There is a audio alarm for low oil pressure which activates when turning the ignition key on until you start the engine.

There are also warning lights for the two alternaters water temp and oil pressure these lights did not come on whilst the dials were fluctuating only coming on as the ignition is switched on or off.

The audio alarm also came on as the oil pressure dial dipped, on a couple of occasions all dials reverted to the neutral off settings with the engine still running when this occured the stop button would not operate and the engine kept running.

Blipping the throttle reactived the panel dials and I was able to swith the engine off and restart it OK

Any Ideas ?

John

Check the two multi-way connectors behind the panel are secure and make sure battery master switches are on - I forgot to turn my domestic battery switch on the other day and it took a few moments before the penny dropped.

Also make sure that the ignition switch is returning to the run position after the engine has started. This can happen with an Izuzu panel, not sure about the Beta panel.

Best I can do in the suggestions line.

Ray

Check the two multi-way connectors behind the panel are secure and make sure battery master switches are on - I forgot to turn my domestic battery switch on the other day and it took a few moments before the penny dropped.

Also make sure that the ignition switch is returning to the run position after the engine has started. This can happen with an Izuzu panel, not sure about the Beta panel.

Best I can do in the suggestions line.

Ray

Also check the multi-way connector in the boot on the engine around the gearbox - mine was very loose and about to unclip itself - I put a tie-wrap around the halves to hold it together

Nick

Thanks for the imput there is a square relay at the back of the control panel, which is not a beta panel ,could this be the culprit or do they just fail completely.

As the boat is 12 years old the loom is wired direct to the individual instruments on the panel which as the fluctuations are affecting the instruments simultaneously points either to the relay or Ray's suggestion re ignition switch failing to return to the run position after the engine has started.

The multi-way connector in the boot on the engine around the gearbox is ok as well

Blipping the throttle reactived the panel dials and I was able to swith the engine off and restart it OK

This can happen if the alternator is under load or the engine is idling with a fairly low battery. Most gauges have voltage regulation and can drop out under certian circumstances.

As you say the alarms are going off, it sounds more likely to be a poor connection/loose plug!

Thanks for the imput there is a square relay at the back of the control panel, which is not a beta panel ,could this be the culprit or do they just fail completely.

As the boat is 12 years old the loom is wired direct to the individual instruments on the panel which as the fluctuations are affecting the instruments simultaneously points either to the relay or Ray's suggestion re ignition switch failing to return to the run position after the engine has started.

The multi-way connector in the boot on the engine around the gearbox is ok as well

The relay on the back of the panel is usualy to connect the domestic alternator warning light to the domestic battery bank when you turn the key to the on position; so unlikely to create the condition you describe.

A common connection is the only thing likely to make all the gauges fluctuate at the same time; which implies a faulty negative connection on the panel or the harness to the engine. Does the gauge illumination also dim or go out when the gauges fluctuate?

Did you separate the connector on the back of the engine when you checked? The electrical contacts are often coroded or loose.

The female contacts can be squeezed a little using a small screwdriver as a quick fix, but idealy should be renewed if loose.

Steve

Running my engine whilst moored this morning, I noticed an intermitant fault the three dials, Rev counter, Oil pressure and water temp were fluctuating although the engine revs were constant.

There is a audio alarm for low oil pressure which activates when turning the ignition key on until you start the engine.

There are also warning lights for the two alternaters water temp and oil pressure these lights did not come on whilst the dials were fluctuating only coming on as the ignition is switched on or off.

The audio alarm also came on as the oil pressure dial dipped, on a couple of occasions all dials reverted to the neutral off settings with the engine still running when this occured the stop button would not operate and the engine kept running.

Any Ideas ?

John

Sounds like a bad / intermittent connection for either the +ve or -ve supply. Only course of action really is to try to locate all the connections and wiggle them with the power on (but no need for engine running) and/or visually check for corrosion etc. Check the -ve connection to the engine casing.

Just remembered that there is a small black negative lead from the engine loom going to the same mounting point as the main negative lead on the engine mounting rail. The ring terminal on that lead is brass, and can suffer considerable corrosion in contact with the steel nut and bolt. Cann't remember the symptoms it produces, but worth a look. (This wire appears to use a spare threaded boss on the engine block on later builds)

Steve (Eeyore)

Edited by Eeyore

Just remembered that there is a small black negative lead from the engine loom going to the same mounting point as the main negative lead on the engine mounting rail. The ring terminal on that lead is brass, and can suffer considerable corrosion in contact with the steel nut and bolt. Cann't remember the symptoms it produces, but worth a look. (This wire appears to use a spare threaded boss on the engine block on later builds)

Steve (Eeyore)

Many thanks to all for the info guys, I get peed off when people post a question and don't respond to answers.

It looks like the 'sticky' ignition key was the cuprit however as it's an intermitent fault there's still time to

check the rest of the answers if I need to :closedeyes:<_<