Squeaky fenders

Chickadee

Featured Posts

During yesterday as the wind go up my rope fenders started squeaking against the metal side of the canal. It's driving me nuts!! Is there anything I can do to stop it?

I do have some rubber pipe fenders but they don't keep the boat far enough from the side as theres some bolts sticking out. (supposed to be there) this is my home mooring so we moor here alot.

During yesterday as the wind go up my rope fenders started squeaking against the metal side of the canal. It's driving me nuts!! Is there anything I can do to stop it?

I do have some rubber pipe fenders but they don't keep the boat far enough from the side as theres some bolts sticking out. (supposed to be there) this is my home mooring so we moor here alot.

Bung down a couple of tyres.

Get a couple of (used) car tyres from a local garage, (they'll normally be happy to give you a couple for free)

That's a good idea. Could do with something more instant though as I wouldn't get to go look for motorbike tyres till maybe sunday. Could do with something to stop me going mental now. I wonder if rapping some material round them might help.

Your the second person to surgest that. Might have to give it a try. Need something instant!! Hope it doesn't make it worse lol.

Soak it well in as its probably the fibres moving against each other rather than fender to bank contact.

Are there a couple of local Boy Scouts you could borrow for a day or two - - just use them as fenders - until you get some motorbike tyres

Theres a couple of sheep down the road. They might do. ;)

I've been out and swapped around some of the pipe fenders and rope fenders that i've got and I seem to have stopped the squeaking! :) The wind is still going for it so hopefully I might get some sleep tonight now.

Tyres might not solve the problem though... We have a couple of go-cart tyres between the boats and they don't half squeak as the boats rub alongside each other. Maybe a couple of plastic bonglers as used by plastic boats would provide squeak free cushioning.

Or put the tyres in a sack or something?

Edited by Chertsey