Stove suggestions

JLees

Featured Posts

Hi I'm looking at fitting out 41 ft internal cabin space and looking for a multifuel stove that'll shoulder the lions share of heating it during the winter (though i would maybe like option to retro fit a backboiler - when more funds arrive!). I'm a little partial to the more modern designs with less decorative twiddly bits (not that they don't have their place on occasion!) and I'm very partial to stoves you can close down over night, but still have a little burn left in them the next morning!

Any suggestions on makes, models, KW - gratefully listened to!

Thanks

On our last boat and now our present boat we have a godin petit (enamaled green) stove. They certainly look the part and IMO better looking than the bland looking stoves that are for sale in the boat shops. Although they don't have a back boiler facility they are rated at 10 kw so plenty of oompphh.

Coming in at £1100 they are slightly more expensive than the others but I would rather pay a bit more for quality. ( I know someone will now post " we've had our fire for well over 35 years and it's still going strong".

Darren

I'd go for the Morso as well. We have a Squirrel 1410 and a 1430 at home, the 1410 is intended for use on narrowboats but it's a better design anyway in my view. They are very easy to control.

We have the Squirrel 'Cleanheat' 1430 model on our 60' narrowboat.

In the last three winters it was rarely off tick-over.

Refill was third of 2 gallon bucket (not posh enough to have a scuttle) every 12 hours, 25 Kg bag last about 3 to 3½ days.

Wife is always cold, like most women but it kept her warm and me melting. ;)

We do use solid fuel (Supertherm) all the time.

Edited by bottle

Chilli Penguin is a nice stove...colour to choice, and built in oven....and yes, the hot plate WILL still boil a kettle. Or Evergreen stoves from My link for example.

Also came across these....look interesting....know little about them yet: My link but they make distinctive stoves to order if you want something different and will look at assorted designs, and thermoelectrics also. There are a world of choices out there, so much more than the normal squirrel.

Yet another vote for a Squirrel especially if you buy the two little cast iron angled side bars that narrow the fire bed slightly which keeps the fire very controllable. When you get used to the two air control settings and settle on a fuel that you like you'll be able to keep it in overnight with no problem at all. You will need to adapt the air settings a bit for the different makes of fuel that you buy though as they all have their own characteristics and the air settings aren't a 'one size fits all' in my experience.

Roger

When I get my boat and need to replace the stove it will be a woodwarm fireview 4.5kw. The fireview can have optional legs and a backboiler. You can also order a straight sided version too.

My link

Woodwarm are very responsive to the controls and made in Devon. See reviews by owners. Also look at other stove reviews by manufacturer.

My link

I dont think you will need more kw output. It really depends on insulation specs and how warm/hot you like it but I dont see any problems being too cold from what I hear on here.

Woodwarm stoves are CE approved and BS EN 13240:2001 + Amd 2:2004. See page 3 for details on the fireview.

My link

James :cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

I recently upgraded from a boatman stove to an Aarow sove, it came with an optional backboiler which is easily fitted if required by removing the two rear firebricks and replacing with the water jacket, Aarow stoves come with various rated outputs, so you can choose what you need for heating in the room and heating via the backboiler.

Rick

Sorry to jump in on the thread. At the moment our nb is fitted with a corner bubble oil stove which due to high running costs we would like to replace with a multifuel corner stove that as the option of a back boiler. I know bubble make a multifuel corner version with a back boiler, but are there many more multifuel corner stoves out there. It will be going onto a 70ft narrowboat so a good kw stove is important. Thanks for any input.

I have fitted a couple of the Aarow Beckton stoves,very good and very controllable.But like most stoves the ashpan and ashpan area is too small, including Morso, in my opinion,for the sake of a couple of inches extra height this could be rectified,makes you wonder if the makers actually do any serious testing of their products.

Ok I'll add my usual boring bit!

I don't know if you're going to try to do your stove installation to the new(ish) British Standard Code of Practice (BS 8511) or not. This document is not mandatory and is not a requirement of the Boat Safety Scheme but the BSS have now got a page on their website recommending its principal features (see here).

One thing to bear in mind if you are trying to comply with the CoP is that it's a lot easier if the stove has been built and tested in accordance with another standard (BS 13240). Not all stoves are.

The popular, quality stoves eg Morso, Chilli Penguin etc are but some of the many types made by Arada are not (or weren't when I checked a year or so ago).

Look for the "CE" plate quoting BS 13240 on the stove before you make your final decision. (Or check with the manufacturer's properly knowledgeable technical bods).

Richard

The Squirrel seems to be the default stove that many builders adopt.

Some swear by them (but have never had anything different). I've had a couple of them in boats and yes, they're damn good stoves.

Stovax are also another good make. I've had a Brunel in a 50'er and it was a good stove.

I have to say that I'm very impressed with my current stove - Aarrow becton. It's very controllable and, when set up right, will stay in for 36+ hours untouched.

Maybe the question you need to ask is, "have you had any bad experiences with certain stoves?"

Or of course there is the new Portway 'Marine' stove that is specifically designed for narrowboats....it can even be placed directly onto a wood floor.

My link

Yes - I'm impressed by that one as well.

About a year ago I went up to collect a new day tank made for me by Martin Kedian. Martin works at the same site shared by Warstock Developments (Roy and Dale Willoughby).

Dale showed me their then new prototype insulated flue system and explained that it was the only one that fully complied with BS 8511 on stainless steel wall thickness. Apparently other makes now on offer for boats use proprietary household flue sections (eg like Selkirk) that are too thin as well as being of dubious practicality on a canal boat.

Now that Warstock have teamed up with the Portway stove they ought to be on to a winner.

I tried to find prices just now without much success but on finally looking at Roy and Dale's own site here, I see they offer the complete stove/flue/collar/chimney package for £1500 including installation! The bits are also available individually.

Unfortunately all too late for me as I got everything I needed for my (hopefully) BS 8511 proof installation a while ago. Otherwise I might have been tempted.

Richard

Or of course there is the new Portway 'Marine' stove that is specifically designed for narrowboats....it can even be placed directly onto a wood floor.

My link

A welded steel body too i think,just the ticket. Although i don't no what all the fuss about a stoves bottom getting hot,heat rises they only get warm really.

yes, we were impressed with Roy willoughby's flue system, and are using it for our current build......our customer doesn't realise how lucky he is I reckon!! Wish I could do the same for my own boat, but it's fitted and I'm not changing it now!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to jump in on the thread. At the moment our nb is fitted with a corner bubble oil stove which due to high running costs we would like to replace with a multifuel corner stove that as the option of a back boiler. I know bubble make a multifuel corner version with a back boiler, but are there many more multifuel corner stoves out there. It will be going onto a 70ft narrowboat so a good kw stove is important. Thanks for any input.

I'm considering fitting a Bubble corner oil stove to our boat. Have you sold yours yet?

• 3 years later...