Day hire near Manchester

nathan cz

Featured Posts

Hey, my dad has always said he wants to go on a canal boat for the day, so i'm just asking to see what you guys think I should get for him. There are 7 in our family and if possible we would take our dog! Ideally we would start somewhere close to Sale, Manchester and loop back round just for a day trip.

Does anybody else have experience of this, any help would be welcomed.

Thanks

Nathan

Hey, my dad has always said he wants to go on a canal boat for the day, so i'm just asking to see what you guys think I should get for him. There are 7 in our family and if possible we would take our dog! Ideally we would start somewhere close to Sale, Manchester and loop back round just for a day trip.

You won't manage to complete any "loop" in a day, in this area, so you would be looking at a there-and-back-again trip.

It sounds as if what you need is a day-hire boat, where you can take up to 10 (or sometimes 12) people and steer the boat yourselves. I don't know of anywhere in Sale where you can hire such a boat so you may need to travel a bit to get to the boat. There are day boats for hire at:

- Whaley Bridge on the Upper Peak Forest Canal - 01663 747808 [link]

- Portland Basin (Ashton/Dukinfield) on the Lower Peak Forest Canal - 0161 330 3133 [link]

- Macclesfield on the Macclesfield Canal - 01625 420042 [link]

- Scholar Green on the Macclesfield Canal - 01782-785700 [link]

Perhaps other people know of day boat hire on the Bridgewater Canal?

Does anybody else have experience of this, any help would be welcomed.

Thanks

Nathan

Hello. For a day out....you cant beat the Bridgewater canal near Manchester. Contact these people....you will have a great time...whichever direction you go in from their base.

Do they? That is not at all clear from their website and is not mentioned in their entry on Waterscape.

Yes they do Martin I have used them a couple of times over the last few years. They operate the day boats under the name Karen's Day Boat Hire +447519275016. I agree it is not obvious from their website but the were certainly hiring.

Do they? That is not at all clear from their website and is not mentioned in their entry on Waterscape.

Hi Martin

I've just searched on Waterscape and their own website and both sites give the information. Because they are some of the good guys and deserve the exposure

regards

Roger

Yes they do Martin I have used them a couple of times over the last few years. They operate the day boats under the name Karen's Day Boat Hire +447519275016. I agree it is not obvious from their website but the were certainly hiring.

Thanks, Boatchad. I often get people emailing me through my website asking about day boat hire and I am not able to suggest operators that I do not know about! :)

I can confirm that they do day hire. We got a pump out there a few weeks back and there were two day hire boats moored up in front of the pump out machine. (The pump out hose was therefore not long enough to reach but that's another story!)