Greatest Free Show in the Country

pearley

Featured Posts

Anyone on the western side of the Huddersfield Canal should be aware that the annual Whit Friday Brass Band Competition is tomorrow at numerous villages from Diggle down to Droylsden.

Trouble is, I've got to go by car so not too much drink!

Anyone on the western side of the Huddersfield Canal should be aware that the annual Whit Friday Brass Band Competition is tomorrow at numerous villages from Diggle down to Droylsden.

Trouble is, I've got to go by car so not too much drink!

I can nought but agree... Best get in quick too as the constabulary, according to a tuba playing friend of mine, are objecting to the tradition continuing.

I can nought but agree... Best get in quick too as the constabulary, according to a tuba playing friend of mine, are objecting to the tradition continuing.

My son plays tuba as well, that's why we go. He'll be playing with East London Brass.

I know they sometimes have trouble but it's no worse than any football match. Considering that it is held over a couple of dozen venues with around 10000 plus spectators plus drunken bandsmen spread over several hours then less than a dozen arrests for public disorder is pretty good. Uppermill seems to be the worst offender. You wouldn't think it when you come through by boat. Those contests held in the Greater Manchester suburbs in the Tameside area seem to be better than the 'country' ones. Perhaps they are better policed or have better stewards.

Best Regards

Pete