Info please on horse-drawn NB Patricia

c c

Featured Posts

You're not thinking of the "Pamela" are you? That was a horse drawn hotel boat which operated until 1976. A converted Bantock boat pulled by a 16.5 hands part Irish Draught horse called "Jim".

Subject of a film now on DVD and covered in a recent book by Jeff Parrot.

I just Googled and found a slideshow of her here

You're not thinking of the "Pamela" are you? That was a horse drawn hotel boat which operated until 1976. A converted Bantock boat pulled by a 16.5 hands part Irish Draught horse called "Jim".

Subject of a film now on DVD and covered in a recent book by Jeff Parrot.

I just Googled and found a slideshow of her here

Its definately Patricia but similar type of boat. It may even have been a hotel or restaurant boat.

Well worth looking at your pictures though, especially of the James trip boat Jason. Jack James and then son Noel James had our Badsey for many years. Thanks for those.

Its definately Patricia but similar type of boat. It may even have been a hotel or restaurant boat.

Well worth looking at your pictures though, especially of the James trip boat Jason. Jack James and then son Noel James had our Badsey for many years. Thanks for those.

I have only one 'historic' conversion named PATRICIA, a wooden B.C.N. day boat formally in the fleet of N. Hingley & Sons Ltd., Netherton - fleet number 24 (B.C.N. 1819 - 03 September 1934). This boat was still in use with 'Hingley' in 1954 but by 1961 was in use as a 'house boat' at Thrupp on the Southern Oxford Canal named as PATRICIA. Its owner was a horse drawn trip boat operator and he later acquired a Large Northwich motor for conversion to a floating / mobile restaurant. Although most 'enthusiast' observations I have for PATRICIA list it at Thrupp the last entry I have lists it as being at a rally in Leicester during July 1967 - showing it to be moveable.

edit - to add 'Hingley' fleet number and B.C.N. gauge details.

Edited by pete harrison

had many good friday nights in the stag chatting with noel and rene about there time on the union on the badsey

had many good friday nights in the stag chatting with noel and rene about there time on the union on the badsey

There is a pub I have not heard of for a long time (The Stag & Pheasant). I used to go there with Tony Miles in the early 1980's when my boats were on Hillmorton Dock.

There is a pub I have not heard of for a long time (The Stag & Pheasant). I used to go there with Tony Miles in the early 1980's when my boats were on Hillmorton Dock.

Thanks for that information Pete, I think your description fits the boat I was asking about. I imagine that it is not still around today.

From elsewhere came the information that the horse which pulled Patricia in the late 60s was called Yossarin.

You may be interested to know that a special MIKRON theatre production on Sunday 3rd June 7.30pm at Badseys CafeBistro is dedicated to their greatest supporter, Tony Miles.

I take it you've seen the postcard currently for sale on eBay under the heading "canal hillmorton"

Darren

Yes, thanks Darren

We have that postcard. It was the finding of the photos which I posted and actually show the horse with a local piece of information giving the name of boat and horse that prompted us to ask if anyone else had any knowledge of the boat.

You may be interested to know that a special MIKRON theatre production on Sunday 3rd June 7.30pm at Badseys CafeBistro is dedicated to their greatest supporter, Tony Miles.

Unfortunately I shall be helping to keep the 'wheels of industry' turning during this weekend as well as the Jubilee period so I will be unable to attend. The Large Northwich motor I mentioned earlier in this thread (floating / mobile retaurant) is TYSELEY - now operated by Mikron - so a direct link between your photographs of the past and the boats of the present :captain:

The Large Northwich motor I mentioned earlier in this thread (floating / mobile retaurant) is TYSELEY - now operated by Mikron - so a direct link between your photographs of the past and the boats of the present :captain:

More than you think Pete - because by amazing coincidence, TYSELEY is at this very moment moored in exactly the same position as Patricia is shown in the photograph!!

Edited by canalchef

After a bit of editing to get the pictures on here - These are the pictures we have of nb Patricia and of the horse Yossarin.

nbpatricia2.png

nbpatricia1.png

If my brain fade is not to advanced I seem to recall Patricia being a sort of hostel boat,{ like Pamala] in the mid late 60`s if not that, the times I saw it on the move there always seemed to be a good few students/young people working the locks walking the towpaths etc. Could be wrong, maybe several families.