Heading south...

dor

Featured Posts

We are leaving Nantwich tonight, heading down the Shroppie, then Staffs & Worcs. to Stourport then down the Severn to Worcester. Hoping to fit in the new Droitwich Ring while we are there.

Wave to Aeshna if you see it passing!

We are leaving Nantwich tonight, heading down the Shroppie, then Staffs & Worcs. to Stourport then down the Severn to Worcester. Hoping to fit in the new Droitwich Ring while we are there.

I won't see you because I'll be heading in the opposite direction to a more local river for the holiday weekend. Have a good trip :)

Just done the Severn from Stourport to Gloucester and back. No trouble at all and water levels are at normal summer level. The river is lovely you will enjoy it. Have fun. tosher.

Had a brief opportunity to say hello to Cheshire Rose in market Drayton, but pressed on and stopped at Wheaton Aston last night. Started off about 8am and passed Lone Wolf mid morning. A bit preoccupied and didn't realise who it was until after we had passed, but managed a wave and a brief hello. Stopped for lunch on the S&W at Compton. Very quiet here compared to the Northern Shroppie. Pressing on while it is dry as the forecast for sunday is pretty dreadful!

Stopped at Kinver. What a disappointment!

Bank holiday Monday and the place was dead. The Vine by the lock appears to be shut down. 3 pubs, none of which looked particularly appealing as somewhere to eat. Was very tempted by the Mediterranean restaurant listed in Nicholsons but no sign of it anywhere - presumably long gone. One other restaurant which is closed on bank holiday Mondays.

I'm really surprised as the village and surroundings doesn't seem short of money, yet only one restaurant which doesn't seem too bothered about attracting trade. 2 chippies and some indian/chinese takeaways.

Really felt like treating ourselves to something better than institutional pub food - oh well, another night maybe!

Stopped at Kinver. What a disappointment!

Bank holiday Monday and the place was dead. The Vine by the lock appears to be shut down. 3 pubs, none of which looked particularly appealing as somewhere to eat. Was very tempted by the Mediterranean restaurant listed in Nicholsons but no sign of it anywhere - presumably long gone. One other restaurant which is closed on bank holiday Mondays.

I'm really surprised as the village and surroundings doesn't seem short of money, yet only one restaurant which doesn't seem too bothered about attracting trade. 2 chippies and some indian/chinese takeaways.

Really felt like treating ourselves to something better than institutional pub food - oh well, another night maybe!

Yes, bad news about the Vine. I used to look forward to a meal there, but last year it had gone downhill --- not surprised that it's now closed. If you can't make a go of a pub in that location then there is no hope.

ETA --- oh, the topic heading --- I thought that it was a complaint from a female forum member about her upper rigging. :rolleyes:

Edited by Midnight Rider

Made it to Stourport, missing most of the rain, and moored up under the pub just before the lock. All the official visitor moorings are full, and since we arrived just after 4pm there has been a steady stream of boats passing us and going down into the basin. Most of them are hire boats and it looks as though all the lock moorings are full too. Don't know where they are all going as there are no official visitor moorings in the basin as far as I know. We followed lewis53 down from Kidderminster and they went down so they must have found somewhere!

So, tomorrow. It's going to be wet all week, so I guess we will just have to brave it. The river is still pretty low so we will head down towards Worcester.