Missing Dog

Dovetail

Featured Posts

Like everyone else, I know how heartbroken I would be if one of my guys went missing. As well as the places you have mentioned, try the dog forums, such as dogsey and local dog trainers and walkers in the areas.

If he has been taken then the more eyes and ears open, the better. Its usually the regular people who notice "new" people with dogs.

Try not to worry and keep positive, at least with being chipped your details are available. Fingers crossed.

As a fellow Liquorice coloured Patterdale owner, i feel for you! Especially as I recently picked up a rough coat Patty as a stray who had no ID or chip, she is now living with the in laws.

On the first night of owning our first boat, taking it from the brokerage to its first home we come across fellow boaters who had lost their JR. I went on the hunt with my dog who efficiently sniffed it out in a field nearby.

My thoughts are with you.

With the experience i have of Patterdales i would walk around the fields in the area i hope you come across Dusty. glad to hear Dusty is chipped and hope you are reaquainted very soon.

Please keep us all posted.

Just another thought but the local council should have a dog warden. Try contacting them, let them know what you have done so far and I'm sure they will keep an eye open in their travels.............they are also pretty good at spotting dogs not native to their areas.............hope this helps.

Another Patterdale owner here. I lost Oscar for 48 hours a few years back, when he slipped his lead after spotting a rat. He was eventually discovered by the local farmer in his barn, with four rat carcasses strewn around the place, and he was clearly hunting another one. Fortunately the farmer had seen the "lost" poster in the village, and called me. He said that had he not known that Oscar was being looked for, he would probably have kept him for his ratting skills. Oscar's reward for his escape was a piece of liver and an enormous ox-tail (from the farmer). My reward was a few more grey hairs.

I really hope that you have a happy ending very soon.

Just got in from the evening search and poster displaying.

One bit of good news is I received a call today from a girl who saw a dog fitting Dusty description running down a street close to a park he knows and it wasn’t till she entered the park and looked at one of my posters that it was the same dog and called me.

Unfortunately I searched the area but no trace I have since posted that area in the hope that others may have seen him. It’s a positive thing.

This sighting if correct is interesting as it may indicate that Dusty is in the open and not in someones house as I suspected. If in the open then this changes the method of searching and if we get a couple more sightings we can pinpoint an area and put very basically I should start to sent mark the are so that Dusty can pick up on it and hope to home him in.

And there’s me thinking I will spot him he will spot me and it will be like Dudley Moore and Bo Derek in the film 10 running in slow motion towards one another and it may still be so, by the way Dusty is the cute one, but no it may go bad as Dusty could be so stressed and frantic by this time he just may run in the opposite direction. Its a lot to take in but Dog Lost are talking me through it and are preparing me for what may happen and that’s a good thing.

Also I received a call this evening from a couple who had noticed a poster and remembered another one a few miles away stating small brown dog found but at the time made no connection but told me where the sign was. So off I went double speed but no that dog was found two days earlier and light brown but again it was great to get the call and shows the posters work and that people care and are prepared to go to the trouble.

I can not speak highly enough about the Dog Lost people they are just fantastic Dusty through them is on FaceBook Gumtree and Twitter… well Facebook and Gumtree are ok but if Dusty wants to keep Twitter when he gets back he is doing on his own but for now its just great.

I have a good feeling it is all going to come good there are to many good people out there for it not to come good and the same with this site plenty of positive good will coming the way of me and Dusty I very much appreciate it and feel it.

Cheers

Tom

I have a good feeling it is all going to come good there are to many good people out there for it not to come good and the same with this site plenty of positive good will coming the way of me and Dusty I very much appreciate it and feel it.

Cheers

Tom

Everything crossed here for a safe and speedy return.

Replying to bump the topic up too.

do take care, when so much information goes out unscrupulous people who might find him could wait for a sizeable reward to be posted.....

a local person here has posted a £5000 reward for her missing dog. its gone up by degrees from 1k to 5....I do wonder how far she will go and if whoever has him is wondering the same thing. Its a heart rending poster to pass every day.

I have no idea how to make sure this doesn't happen, or how you would prove they hadn't kept the dog in a back bedroom somewhere. ....difficult I know and easy for me to say, but I suppose the only thing to do would be not post a reward so quickly?

do take care, when so much information goes out unscrupulous people who might find him could wait for a sizeable reward to be posted.....

a local person here has posted a £5000 reward for her missing dog. its gone up by degrees from 1k to 5....I do wonder how far she will go and if whoever has him is wondering the same thing. Its a heart rending poster to pass every day.

I have no idea how to make sure this doesn't happen, or how you would prove they hadn't kept the dog in a back bedroom somewhere. ....difficult I know and easy for me to say, but I suppose the only thing to do would be not post a reward so quickly?

The OP's dog is chipped..and is therefore it will be easy to prove ownership...and avoid such situations..

I dont see it that way and I am grateful for any help or advice offered its very welcome and well received.

The people at Dog Lost have a dedicated Facebook page and a Twitter account to flag up lost dogs. It seems that the more information that gets out the better, I have so far distributed approx 180 posters and still have areas to cover.

I have not offered a reward not a good road to go down if you ask me as I see it the vast majority of people are good people and only want to help if they can and would not accept a reward the good deed would be reward enough. This is not to say that I may offer a reward for someones efforts if I get Dusty back.

People may be embarrassed to call and put off if a reward was offered in fear of been put into the same bracket of the very few who may have the dog and are only interested in a reward.

If this is the case that Dusty is held by someone wanting a reward then at some time they will have to make a move. But for now I put all my faith in all the good people.

Sorry Chagall just wanted to add I was not been critical of you but the person who has offered the reward we are obviously in agreement on not offering a reward.

I also read your post regarding postings on face book as one of concern for me getting Dusty back.

Edited by Dovetail

I dont see it that way and I am grateful for any help or advice offered its very welcome and well received.

The people at Dog Lost have a dedicated Facebook page and a Twitter account to flag up lost dogs. It seems that the more information that gets out the better, I have so far distributed approx 180 posters and still have areas to cover.

I have not offered a reward not a good road to go down if you ask me as I see it the vast majority of people are good people and only want to help if they can and would not accept a reward the good deed would be reward enough. This is not to say that I may offer a reward for someones efforts if I get Dusty back.

People may be embarrassed to call and put off if a reward was offered in fear of been put into the same bracket of the very few who may have the dog and are only interested in a reward.

If this is the case that Dusty is held by someone wanting a reward then at some time they will have to make a move. But for now I put all my faith in all the good people.

Sorry Chagall just wanted to add I was not been critical of you but the person who has offered the reward we are obviously in agreement on not offering a reward.

I also read your post regarding postings on face book as one of concern for me getting Dusty back.

My post was of concern, and I am sure there are many more people like these in this thread who are more than willing to help and who's only desire is to find Dusty with no thought of financial reward. Thank goodness there is great compassion still. I was just making the point that when huge rewards are offered, the unscrupulous people who take dogs for this very reason jut carry on causing such heart break for greed.

I used to leave my dog outside supermarkets, my daughter advised me that gangs take such dogs and wait for reward posters. "who would want him?" I said, (he isn't exactly stud material) she replied asking me how much would I give for his return? Certainly made me think. If it makes somebody else think about not leaving a dog where it may be snatched then my comment was worth adding.

I did hesitate to post this aspect because I suspected somebody might jump in after making the wrong assumption and to correct me, and sure enough it happened, so Im glad you realised I do care that Dusty is home soon. I wish I was close enough to join in the hunt.

Good Luck finding him.

Dovetail

I went to Bunny park near to you yeasterday & kept a lookout for Dusty.

I live not far from Hanwell flight & have some free time this afternoon from around 2pm onwards

& would be more than happy to help with putting up posters for you.

Jeannette

Hi Jannette I was all round the Bunny Park last night if you walk round today you will see plenty of Posters in the park and I think I covered most of it, I had a conversation with a dog walker who told me about the cricket pitch? well missed that bit and will have to look at the map to see what I missed. I also stayed in the park till 10pm in the hope someone came in late with Dusty, you never know.

If you are able to distribute a few posters around your area that will be fantastic the wider the search the better. I should be able to get some posters over to you in good time as I am close to you.

My post was of concern, and I am sure there are many more people like these in this thread who are more than willing to help and who's only desire is to find Dusty with no thought of financial reward. Thank goodness there is great compassion still. I was just making the point that when huge rewards are offered, the unscrupulous people who take dogs for this very reason jut carry on causing such heart break for greed.

I used to leave my dog outside supermarkets, my daughter advised me that gangs take such dogs and wait for reward posters. "who would want him?" I said, (he isn't exactly stud material) she replied asking me how much would I give for his return? Certainly made me think. If it makes somebody else think about not leaving a dog where it may be snatched then my comment was worth adding.

I did hesitate to post this aspect because I suspected somebody might jump in after making the wrong assumption and to correct me, and sure enough it happened, so Im glad you realised I do care that Dusty is home soon. I wish I was close enough to join in the hunt.

Good Luck finding him.

Thanks Chagall and yes we have to be careful these people walk among us we all live in a world of trust and they just spoil it for us but I think we can defeat them we just need to work together.

Just a suggestion, but don't necessarily believe the local rescues when they say nothing of that description is there. The person taking the call hasn't always been given full details.

Actually go and look. Happened to me, I rang and rang and only went in because I was passing and my dog had been there each time I rang.

The OP's dog is chipped..and is therefore it will be easy to prove ownership...and avoid such situations..

I am 3 weeks in to an ownership dispute over my cat who is chipped. He was taken to a vet about six months after having been stolen from my boat. The vet was advised by their governing body to hand the cat back to the woman who brought him in and not to get involved in an owership dispute. She claimed that she had 'ownership' of the cat because she thought it was a stray when she 'found' it. The police agree with me that it is my cat but they are powerless to charge her with theft because they cannot prove intent. I've been shocked to learn that a microchip is legal proof of absolutely nothing during this process.

If, by the end of this week, I find the police are unable to pressure the woman to hand my cat back I will be faced with the prospect of a civil action to retrieve him and the solicitors eat up my cat food money.

While microchips are fantastic if someone finds your pet and is trying to reunite you with him, they are useless if someone steals your pet and wants to keep him.

While microchips are fantastic if someone finds your pet and is trying to reunite you with him, they are useless if someone steals your pet and wants to keep him.

Well if your your details on the Pet Log web site tally with you I'm pretty sure your civil action will have a good chance of being successful - unless the new 'owner' has had access to your login details and changed them to her, you will show on the Pet log web site as the owner, proving ownership should therefore be a straightforward matter in a court. Though a right PITA to have go through the process I agree.

So I would say not entirely useless TBH.

Good luck with getting your moggy back....

ed to add - googling seems to bring up a variety of opinions on this, but photos seem to be the thing that are generally accepted as proof - do you have lot's of photo's of your cat?? - it seems that would help too.

Edited by MJG

Well if your your details on the Pet Log web site tally with you I'm pretty sure your civil action will have a good chance of being successful - unless the new 'owner' has had access to your login details and changed them to her, you will show on the Pet log web site as the owner, proving ownership should therefore be a straightforward matter in a court. Though a right PITA to have go through the process I agree.

So I would say not entirely useless TBH.

Good luck with getting your moggy back....

Petlog details are still with me and the file is currently locked and being treated as a stolen animal so yes, I will get him back eventually but at what cost and when I don't know.

p.s. Dovetail you and Dusty are in my thoughts. Hoping daily for a swift return for you.

Petlog details are still with me and the file is currently locked and being treated as a stolen animal so yes, I will get him back eventually but at what cost and when I don't know.

p.s. Dovetail you and Dusty are in my thoughts. Hoping daily for a swift return for you.

Basically as i understand it , if the vet has scanned the cat and a microchip found the vet is LEGALLY bound to contact petlog who then will contact the owner or you as it is to.claim your pet back , the vets are legally bound because they own a scanner they should have contacted petlog and kept the cat ,the vets are wrong , you should contact the RSPCA and kick off about what has happened , this is wrong and someone is to blame , but time is of the essence !!! All the above info is from a registered dog warden and ex RSPCA animal welfare officer .

We hope dusty is found swiftly Dovetail ,good luck

Edited by simon&jan

They contacted petlog but gave the cat back to the other woman. I've asked them to send me written reasoning as to why they made this mad decision and in the meantime am still working with the police.

The RSPCA simply referred me to Citizens Advice. Trust me, I'm exploring every angle.

That just sounds terrible for you leonie and I hope you can resolve it. I did sort of raise a similar question with a vet when I was registering dusty missing and was told that when most people realise the situation they understand the animal belongs to someone else and as hard as it is they hand it over. But as in your case this is not so and you are having to fight that bit harder.

Its so hard I know that if a family were to innocently buy Dusty and they will instantly fall in love with him as most people do and if he surfaces at a vets and the chip is scanned……..only time will tell.

Update today. I received a call from someone saying a friend had spotted a small dark dog with either a red collar or perhaps harness in Kensington and Chelsea Cemetery yesterday. For the people that don’t know Kensington & Chelsea are miles away but just so happen to have a cemetery in Hanwell.

I went straight over and walked around for a good hour but no sighting but all the same happy that someone had taken the trouble to phone. I then spent a couple of hours pinning posters and delivering to shops ect.

In the afternoon I had a volunteer Jannette from this forum help and she covered Ealing Hospital and surrounding areas she knows the hospital well and can cover all the disused old Victorian buildings round the back that back onto the River Brent that runs into the canal.

I am starting to get calls from the posters and hope they continue so me and Dusty can be reunited soon as the boat is quiet without all his snoring.

Thomas