Conway

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Whilst I'm no expert on wooden boats, I know the owner has already put quite a lot of effort into "Conway".

I know that if there are issues it may well be in bits you can't see, but the bits you can see look straight and well cared for compared to many others.

It does have a rather "unusual" counter conversion, although that could be considered to be part of its rich history!

I hope it finds a new owner able to build on what the current one appears to have achieved do far.

Dammit! I couldn't stop myself looking.

£6k seems very reasonable from what I know, secondhand, about the boat.

A quality wooden boat that needs a few planks should be the same value as a steel boat needing a some replating...but it isn't.

In the real wooden boat world, though, I'd rather have had Dane for £5k

Edited by carlt

Has Dane been sold now? I agree, a lot of boat for not very much.

I thought I'd read on here yesterday that it was now at Brinklow Boats.

From the Dane thread (two days ago, not yesterday):

Currently at Brinklow boats, in the dry dock

Edited by carlt

I normally leave the boat history to those keen on it, but perhaps somebody can explain?

A H Faulkener quotes Conway as ex ICI and gives a Birmingham Sanitary Reg as 1468. I of course have a list of these (as Wolverhampton). 1468 is listed as CRESCENT and presumably was new to Chance & Hunt in 1924, subsquently Chance & Hunt was absorbed into ICI, but CONWAY was Birmingham Corporation register 1527 of 1930 to Thomas Clayton (Oldbury)

Mr Faukeners list mentions the CRESCENT gauge number as 985 and the BCN list as gauged Tipton 29/12/1924 for Chance & Hunt as CRESCENT No 8 Cabin and Wood Boat

Ray Shill

I normally leave the boat history to those keen on it, but perhaps somebody can explain?

A H Faulkener quotes Conway as ex ICI and gives a Birmingham Sanitary Reg as 1468. I of course have a list of these (as Wolverhampton). 1468 is listed as CRESCENT and presumably was new to Chance & Hunt in 1924, subsquently Chance & Hunt was absorbed into ICI, but CONWAY was Birmingham Corporation register 1527 of 1930 to Thomas Clayton (Oldbury)

Mr Faukeners list mentions the CRESCENT gauge number as 985 and the BCN list as gauged Tipton 29/12/1924 for Chance & Hunt as CRESCENT No 8 Cabin and Wood Boat

Ray Shill

Rather confusingly, and a common practice with many larger fleets, boat names were re-used - and Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. were one of the fleets where boat names were re-used on second and third generation craft. This was the case with Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd.'s CONWAY.

The first CONWAY was health registered as Coventry 235 for Thomas Clayton, Oldbury where it was denoted as being an "old boat", and possibly B.C.N. gauged as 17483 (18 October 1900). This boat was later sold to Tupper & Company.

The second CONWAY was built in 1911 for Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. by Garrett & Houghton, West Drayton. It was health registered as Birmingham 1240 (28 July 1911) and gauged B.C.N. 21330 (17 July 1911). CONWAY was later re-registered as Birmingham 1284 (17 March 1913) when a fore cabin was added, then re-registered as Birmingham 1527 (20 June 1930) when the fore cabin was removed. CONWAY was sold to The Staffordshire Chemical Company in April 1937.

As Mr Faulkner states CRESCENT was health registered as Birmingham 1468 (17 October 1924) for Chance & Hunt Ltd., Oldbury - and gauged as B.C.N. 985 (29 December 1924) for the same owner. You are then correct that Chance & Hunt Ltd. subsequently became a part of I.C.I. Ltd.. It was in 1949 that CRESCENT passed into the ownership of Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd., coming directly from I.C.I. Ltd. and was subsequently renamed as Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd.'s third CONWAY (fleet number 19). The B.C.N. gauge table number 985 lists both Chance & Hunt Ltd. and Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. as being owners. CRESCENT / CONWAY does not appear to have been re-registered following its sale to Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. and I suspect it was used on day traffic, possibly as a 'Black Boat'.

edit - to add the first CONWAY operated by Thomas Clayton, Oldbury (Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. was not incorporated until 1904)

Edited by pete harrison

Rather confusingly, and a common practice with many larger fleets, boat names were re-used - and Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. were one of the fleets where boat names were re-used on second and third generation craft. This was the case with Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd.'s CONWAY.

The first CONWAY was health registered as Coventry 235 for Thomas Clayton, Oldbury where it was denoted as being an "old boat", and possibly B.C.N. gauged as 17483 (18 October 1900). This boat was later sold to Tupper & Company.

The second CONWAY was built in 1911 for Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. by Garrett & Houghton, West Drayton. It was health registered as Birmingham 1240 (28 July 1911) and gauged B.C.N. 21330 (17 July 1911). CONWAY was later re-registered as Birmingham 1284 (17 March 1913) when a fore cabin was added, then re-registered as Birmingham 1527 (20 June 1930) when the fore cabin was removed. CONWAY was sold to The Staffordshire Chemical Company in April 1937.

As Mr Faulkner states CRESCENT was health registered as Birmingham 1468 (17 October 1924) for Chance & Hunt Ltd., Oldbury - and gauged as B.C.N. 985 (29 December 1924) for the same owner. You are then correct that Chance & Hunt Ltd. subsequently became a part of I.C.I. Ltd.. It was in 1949 that CRESCENT passed into the ownership of Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd., coming directly from I.C.I. Ltd. and was subsequently renamed as Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd.'s third CONWAY (fleet number 19). The B.C.N. gauge table number 985 lists both Chance & Hunt Ltd. and Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. as being owners. CRESCENT / CONWAY does not appear to have been re-registered following its sale to Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. and I suspect it was used on day traffic, possibly as a 'Black Boat'.

edit - to add the first CONWAY operated by Thomas Clayton, Oldbury (Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. was not incorporated until 1904)

Pete has given a very detailed explanation, but staying with the boat in question. When Chance & Hunt operated this craft, they had an extensive carrying operation to and from their works at Wednesbury and Oldbury. With the Oldbury traffic part of that trade was gas water from the gasworks and I wonder if that was the traffic was engaged in. It also follows that ICI might have given up that trade in 1949. Would this fit?

Ray Shill

• 9 months later...

I missed this thread first time round. As my boat has (an approximation of) Chance & Hunt's livery I was interested by the mention of 'Crescent'. Is this boat still extant?

I was also interested by the assertion that Chance & Hunt had been taken over by I.C.I. When I contacted them about 2007 seeking info about their former boats (they did find one photo for me) they were trading under their own name, not as I.C.I.

I would interested to here which Chance & Hunt was contacted,

How many are there to choose from?

www.chance-hunt.com, a chemicals company, recently taken over by an international company called Azelis.

I would interested to here which Chance & Hunt was contacted, I understand the company was wound up in 1941.

Ray Shill

As I understand it Chance & Hunt Ltd. became a part of I.C.I. Ltd. on the latter company's formation in 1926, although continued to trade under the name of Chance & Hunt Ltd. for several years. As I.C.I. Ltd. started the wholesale shedding of businesses in the 1990's a management buy out in April 1999 saw the trading name of Chance & Hunt re-emerge, and it is this company that became a part of the chemical group Azelis in July 2002. Other early chemical company trading names have re-emerged under similar circumstances.

I worked for I.C.I. Ltd. from November 1985 until January 1998 when our division was sold to an American company, who I still work for.

Edited by pete harrison

• 7 years later...