Iron Narrowboats

Heartland

Featured Posts

From time to time mention is made of iron hulled narrowboats, but was the first that boat that went down the Birmingham Canal to Birmingham in 1787, which Aris's Gazette records as belonging to John Wilkinson and suggests had been made at the Bradley Ironworks ? Much has been written about the iron boat built for Wilkinson and launched at Willey Wharf on the River Severn, but that boat and the one that came to Birmingham may not have been the same. Wilkinson certainly came to assemble at group of iron boats at Bradley, which came up for sale after Wilkisons death. Yet, these craft were not the only iron hulled boats on the canals and on the BCN, in particular, there came into existence a group of iron boat builders which also diversified into boiler making and gasometers.

Ray Shill

From time to time mention is made of iron hulled narrowboats, but was the first that boat that went down the Birmingham Canal to Birmingham in 1787, which Aris's Gazette records as belonging to John Wilkinson and suggests had been made at the Bradley Ironworks ? Much has been written about the iron boat built for Wilkinson and launched at Willey Wharf on the River Severn, but that boat and the one that came to Birmingham may not have been the same. Wilkinson certainly came to assemble at group of iron boats at Bradley, which came up for sale after Wilkisons death. Yet, these craft were not the only iron hulled boats on the canals and on the BCN, in particular, there came into existence a group of iron boat builders which also diversified into boiler making and gasometers.

Ray Shill

The early iron boats seem to fall into two categories, ones which survived and ones which had a short working life and dissapeared a long time ago. Where for instance are the Boulton & Watt boats? beautifully made, cast nameplates but gone. Early Bantock boats survive, some others "bantockesque" similar but maybe from other builders, a stunning example of this is a boat called "Equus", when being blasted at Iver some years ago a makers stamp was found on a plate. Dave Mc Dougall traced it to a short lived Tipton foundry but it made the plate as old as 1810 if my memory is correct.

One early (now missing?) craft was this wonderful iron hulled maintainance boat on the LLangollen:

gallery_5000_522_61456.jpg

Ray Shill

Never imagining that the gasometers would get made into Springers. Such sweet symmetry!

I remember Equus from the early 80's Jim Mc D. surveyed her and waxed very lyrically about her at the time.

Where is she now?

Anyone got a photo?

zenataomm

It would be useful to know what the Tipton Foundry was. Early iron boatbuilders on the BCN include the Horton family, but Caponfield Iron Works also built iron boats as did the Horseley Ironworks. Horseley made the Aaron Mamby.

Ray Shill

• 3 weeks later...

It would be useful to know what the Tipton Foundry was. Early iron boatbuilders on the BCN include the Horton family, but Caponfield Iron Works also built iron boats as did the Horseley Ironworks. Horseley made the Aaron Mamby.

Ray Shill

Hingley's of Netherton produced a considerable tonnage of Grade B Wrought Iron plate as specified on Harland and Wolfes drawing of my Star Class Vesta.Production ceased in the late 1950's It wouldn't corrode or freeze solid. In 1963 when the ice was 2ft3inches thick in Ashwood Basin Vesta would rock slightly.

Harris's at the Bumblehole Netherton yard made many riveted iron hulls like the icebreaker Spifire which looked like a boiler on the dry dock.

• 5 years later...

Hi all.  I'm researching my ancestors the Hortons, who built iron canal boats in the 17th and 18th century.  I have some info on the Aetna (or Etna) Ironworks run by Joshua and William Horton which advertised boats and punts amongst other things.  There were a few other Hortons running ironworks in the Smethwick/West Bromwich area including a Thomas Horton of Spon Lane Ironworks in West Brom.  Any info on these manufacturers would be very welcome.

Adrian Alford

Derek

Thanks for this, I hadn't used the NLS mapping tool before, it's very good.  I've just started researching them.  I'll be trying to find out if any of their boats are still in existence, the Black Country Museum may be able to help.  Do you know of any other sources of historical information on canal boats?

There was at least one iron narrow boat built in Yorkshire; the Elland, which the Horseboating Society has now.

We rescued her from British Waterways in 1992, when she was at Marsden on the Huddersfield Narrow canal - a completely bare hull, being used as a mud boat.

WB10_6.jpeg.60f952c6ab0bd3be05176ef202c3c558.jpeg

60 feet long, maximum beam 6feet 10 ins. constructed of rivetted wrought iron, and not a straight line anywhere.

The plating was in very good condition, with only a couple of thin areas requiring repairs to be let in. The work was done at the yard of the late and much-missed Roger Lorenz. Roger had another life in Materials Science, and was able to use his contacts to get a sample of the plate analysed, revealing that it came from the Low Moor Ironworks near Bradford. Produced about 1850 to 1890.(Don't ask me how they knew that!).

The best guess of West Yorkshire barge enthusiasts was that she had been built at Bottom Boat, on the river Calder, as she had the same "boiler rivets " as wide boats built there.

With no more information to go on, we set about a best- guess rebuild, and produced a butty boat which went so well it could have been towed by someone on a skateboard.

WB10_6.jpeg.002c332703525245ec3ce5f559d08b71.jpegWB10.jpg.a2a6be66449c29781f095687523f83fc.jpg

we sold her some years ago, and would have forgotten her until stumbling upon some BW archive pictures whilst googling for some thing else.

RayS1_zpsb7811e1b.jpg.c42d174a06fa9721f2e54a825b4d7797.jpgRayS_zps6cfaa276.jpg.b79df8f2343a53c3c9eed8e784d4c9ed.jpg

Showing kids playing in a boat stranded by the breach that closed the Barnsley canal.

So the mystery continues. . .

On 19/02/2018 at 16:15, Adrian Alford said:

Derek

Thanks for this, I hadn't used the NLS mapping tool before, it's very good.  I've just started researching them.  I'll be trying to find out if any of their boats are still in existence, the Black Country Museum may be able to help.  Do you know of any other sources of historical information on canal boats?

Well, our forum historian (aren't we all though) on canal infrastructure might be Heartland, but for boats specifically it must be Pete Harrison. I'm just an onlooker - ex-live aboard.

PS. That certainly is a fine hull DRP.

Edited by Derek R.

On 2/21/2018 at 08:00, Derek R. said:

Well, our forum historian (aren't we all though) on canal infrastructure might be Heartland, but for boats specifically it must be Pete Harrison. I'm just an onlooker - ex-live aboard.

PS. That certainly is a fine hull DRP.

Yes, fine in every sense of the word. We thought she was too fine to have been just a maintenance boat. and from the riveted bulkheads at either end of the hold, we hoped she might turn out to be something exotic like a passenger boat. We never made any real progress with the history.

Still, as long as Mrs Day has her she'll be safe from anyone putting an engine in her, so there's still hope of a proper restoration if her true identity is revealed in the future.

I have previously suggested that Hebble was one of the boats built for the construction of one of the railway tunnels at Standedge. There is certainly a suggestion that steam tugs were used for towing boats loaded with spoil out of the canal tunnel after they were loaded at one of the cross tunnels connecting with the railway tunnels, and it could have been one of the earliest uses of steam power on canals, though I have not researched the possibility in detail

Narrow boats worked regularly onto the wide northern waterways, and this is a brief list extracted from the C&HN registers for around 1819:

204 The Duchess of Oldenburg; master Robert Robinson; owner Southam & Co of Buckingham; built Birmingham 1815; 19 tons on 2ft 8in

205 The Emperor Alexander of Buckingham (ditto)

212 The Betty of Clayworth; master William Husband; owner Edward Sawdon of Clayworth; built Worksop 1812; 20 tons on 3ft 4.5in

217 The John Barley-Corn of Clayworth; master John Palmer; owner Edward Sawden of Clayworth; built Worksop 1813; 20 tons on 3ft 6in

219 The Plow Boy of Clayworth; master and owner John Palmer of Clayworth; built Worksop 1813; 20tons on 3ft 6.5in

220 The Hop of Huddersfield; master Joseph Brearley; owner Joseph Lofthouse of Huddersfield; built Manchester; 20tins on 3ft3in

227 The Happy Return of Marsden; master John Mellor; owner David Haigh & Co of Marsden; built Marsden 1818; 20ton-9cwt-1qr on 3ft 1.5in

229 The Hopewell of Manchester; master Robert Ingham; owner Hery Hanson of Manchester; built Fairfield 1810; 21ton 10cwt 3qr on 3ft 2.75in

241 The Dewsbury of Manchester; master John Shuttleworth; owner Edmund Buckley & Co of Manchester; built Manchester 1817; 14ton 2cwt 2qr on 2ft 8in

243 The Fox of Manchester (ditto); built Manchester 1814; 17ton 8cwt 3qr on 2ft 11in

246 The Blucher of Marsden; master and owner Robert Stanley of Marsden; built Manchester 1814; 18ton 12cwt on 3ft 4in

247 The Wellington of Marsden; master James Whitehead; owner Josh & Robt Dowse of Marsden; built Chester; 19ton 6cwt 3qr on 3ft 4in

263 The Prime Minister of Lymn; master James Pennington; owner Radcliffe Bradbury of Lymn; built Manchester 1803; 20ton on 3ft 4in

267 The Hope of Marsden; master and owner James Grime of Marsden; built Manchester 1817; 18ton 15cwt 1qr on 3ft 11.5in

270 The Betsey of Marsden; master and owner William Mellor of Marsden; built Manchester 1812; 20ton 10cwt on 3ft 2.25in

On 5/27/2012 at 13:15, zenataomm said:

I remember Equus from the early 80's Jim Mc D. surveyed her and waxed very lyrically about her at the time.

Where is she now?

Anyone got a photo?

L&L near Ring'o'Bells, sorry no pics I can find.

I have pics of the boat moored 2 down from her though!

(Further crew training required ...)

Was Equus the 1896 (?) riveted iron boat that Virginia Currer had up for sale 2 or 3 years ago?  That was on my apolloduck drool list for a bit ...

Google image search gives us:

Image result for equus narrowboat

Edit to add:

LOL at thread resurrection.  I have just replied to a nearly six year old post.

Just goes to show that everything comes to he who waits :)

Edited by TheBiscuits

51 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Was Equus the 1896 (?) riveted iron boat that Virginia Currer had up for sale 2 or 3 years ago?  That was on my apolloduck drool list for a bit ...

Nope. Possibly 1860's according to the particulars I found from 2015 (Don't try and buy her she's not currently on brokerage!)

equus.pdf

21 hours ago, Pluto said:

I have previously suggested that Hebble was one of the boats built for the construction of one of the railway tunnels at Standedge. There is certainly a suggestion that steam tugs were used for towing boats loaded with spoil out of the canal tunnel after they were loaded at one of the cross tunnels connecting with the railway tunnels, and it could have been one of the earliest uses of steam power on canals, though I have not researched the possibility in detail

Narrow boats worked regularly onto the wide northern waterways, and this is a brief list extracted from the C&HN registers for around 1819:

204 The Duchess of Oldenburg; master Robert Robinson; owner Southam & Co of Buckingham; built Birmingham 1815; 19 tons on 2ft 8in

205 The Emperor Alexander of Buckingham (ditto)

212 The Betty of Clayworth; master William Husband; owner Edward Sawdon of Clayworth; built Worksop 1812; 20 tons on 3ft 4.5in

217 The John Barley-Corn of Clayworth; master John Palmer; owner Edward Sawden of Clayworth; built Worksop 1813; 20 tons on 3ft 6in

219 The Plow Boy of Clayworth; master and owner John Palmer of Clayworth; built Worksop 1813; 20tons on 3ft 6.5in

220 The Hop of Huddersfield; master Joseph Brearley; owner Joseph Lofthouse of Huddersfield; built Manchester; 20tins on 3ft3in

227 The Happy Return of Marsden; master John Mellor; owner David Haigh & Co of Marsden; built Marsden 1818; 20ton-9cwt-1qr on 3ft 1.5in

229 The Hopewell of Manchester; master Robert Ingham; owner Hery Hanson of Manchester; built Fairfield 1810; 21ton 10cwt 3qr on 3ft 2.75in

241 The Dewsbury of Manchester; master John Shuttleworth; owner Edmund Buckley & Co of Manchester; built Manchester 1817; 14ton 2cwt 2qr on 2ft 8in

243 The Fox of Manchester (ditto); built Manchester 1814; 17ton 8cwt 3qr on 2ft 11in

246 The Blucher of Marsden; master and owner Robert Stanley of Marsden; built Manchester 1814; 18ton 12cwt on 3ft 4in

247 The Wellington of Marsden; master James Whitehead; owner Josh & Robt Dowse of Marsden; built Chester; 19ton 6cwt 3qr on 3ft 4in

263 The Prime Minister of Lymn; master James Pennington; owner Radcliffe Bradbury of Lymn; built Manchester 1803; 20ton on 3ft 4in

267 The Hope of Marsden; master and owner James Grime of Marsden; built Manchester 1817; 18ton 15cwt 1qr on 3ft 11.5in

270 The Betsey of Marsden; master and owner William Mellor of Marsden; built Manchester 1812; 20ton 10cwt on 3ft 2.25in

That’s an interesting list Pluto, the three boats from Clayworth must have been Chesterfield Canal “Cuckoos”. I’ve heard they worked as far afield as Lincoln or even Boston but I didn’t know any went up north. 

I’m sure Cheshire Rose would like to know more when she catches up with this topic if you have any other info. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pluto has listed early narrow boats on the Calder and Hebble. The Buckingham boats are of interest the craft owned by Southam as their journey would have been through Manchester and the Ashton.

Length would also have been a factor getting through the Huddersfield Broad 

Certain carriers did advertise a service to Huddersfield, but the journey to the C & H must have been a more specific cargo 

I have added a few more to the c1820 list, and included the cargo. Stone, possibly limestone, was the main cargo, with general cargoes tending to come from Manchester. The second list is of narrow boats noted as being at Sowerby Bridge in 1886. Salt or coal may have been the cargo in many cases. I have seen narrow boats listed as carrying chemicals from the Black Country in A&CN records.

Narrow boats in C&HN Registers 1793-1828

204 The Duchess of Oldenburg; master Robert Robinson; owner Southam & Co of Buckingham; built Birmingham 1815; 19 tons on 2ft 8in (stone)

205 The Emperor Alexander of Buckingham (ditto) (stone)

212 The Betty of Clayworth; master William Husband; owner Edward Sawdon of Clayworth; built Worksop 1812; 20 tons on 3ft 4.5in (stone)

217 The John Barley-Corn of Clayworth; master John Palmer; owner Edward Sawden of Clayworth; built Worksop 1813; 20 tons on 3ft 6in (stone etc)

219 The Plow Boy of Clayworth; master and owner John Palmer of Clayworth; built Worksop 1813; 20tons on 3ft 6.5in (stone)

220 The Hop of Huddersfield; master Joseph Brearley; owner Joseph Lofthouse of Huddersfield; built Manchester; 20tins on 3ft3in (stone)

227 The Happy Return of Marsden; master John Mellor; owner David Haigh & Co of Marsden; built Marsden 1818; 20ton-9cwt-1qr on 3ft 1.5in (stone)

229 The Hopewell of Manchester; master Robert Ingham; owner Hery Hanson of Manchester; built Fairfield 1810; 21ton 10cwt 3qr on 3ft 2.75in (stone)

241 The Dewsbury of Manchester; master John Shuttleworth; owner Edmund Buckley & Co of Manchester; built Manchester 1817; 14ton 2cwt 2qr on 2ft 8in (goods)

243 The Fox of Manchester (ditto); built Manchester 1814; 17ton 8cwt 3qr on 2ft 11in (goods)

246 The Blucher of Marsden; master and owner Robert Stanley of Marsden; built Manchester 1814; 18ton 12cwt on 3ft 4in (whiting)

247 The Wellington of Marsden; master James Whitehead; owner Josh & Robt Dowse of Marsden; built Chester; 19ton 6cwt 3qr on 3ft 4in (corn)

263 The Prime Minister of Lymn; master James Pennington; owner Radcliffe Bradbury of Lymn; built Manchester 1803; 20ton on 3ft 4in (pig iron)

267 The Hope of Marsden; master and owner James Grime of Marsden; built Manchester 1817; 18ton 15cwt 1qr on 3ft 11.5in (goods)

270 The Betsey of Marsden; master and owner William Mellor of Marsden; built Manchester 1812; 20ton 10cwt on 3ft 2.25in (stone etc)

278 The Affiance of Marsden; master James Shaw; owner J & R Dowse, Marsden; built Manchester 1819, 19ton 5cwt on 3ft 4.5in (corn)

289 The Clorinda of Salterhebble; master and owner James Bray junr, Salterhebble; Huddersfield 1821; 22tons 3cwt on 4ft 7.25in (Fuller's earth)

294 The Jubilee of Marsden; master John Hall; owner Brearley & Co, Marsden; built Manchester, 19 ton on 3ft 2in (stone)

300 The Victory; master Josa. Holt; owner Varley, Holt & Co, Sowerby; built Manchester 1818; 28ton 7cwt on 3ft 1.75in (goods)

312 The Adventure of Manchester; master James Horsfall; owner Jno Hanson, Manchester; built Fairfield, 1819; 19ton 5cwt on 3ft 2in (stone)

Narrow Boats at Sowerby Bridge, 1886

A & B   long             Marston Hall Salt Co

Agnes & Mary     long             A J Thompson

Annie          short            J Brown & Co

Ann & Eliza         short            C Widdowson

C & D      long             Marston Hall Salt Co

Charles & Lime    long             Simpson Davies & Sons

Dolphin & Rob Roy      long             A J Thompson

E & F           long             Marston Hall Salt Co

Elizabeth Ann & Martha Maria     short            Webb & Yates

Fan & Flo        long             A J Thompson

Forest Queen & May Flower     long             Jos Jones

Fred & Harry      long             Hy Rathbone

G & H            long             Marston Hall Salt Co

Gilbert              long             A J Thompson

Henry & William           long             Jon Horsefield

Hero            short            W Dixon (owner/boatman)

John Henry & Martha              long             Hy Rathbone

L & M               long             Marston Hall Salt Co

Lizzie & Sarah Ann             long             J Platt & Co

Maggie & Polly           long             A J Thompson

N & O                   long             Marston Hall Salt Co

Prince & Princess              long             W S Birch & Sons Ltd

R & S                           long             Marston Hall Salt Co

Sam                        short            Geo Bedford (owner/boatman)

T & V                  long             Marston Hall Salt Co

W & X                  long             Marston Hall Salt Co

William & Ellen                 short            W Saville

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 08:35, noddyboater said:

That’s an interesting list Pluto, the three boats from Clayworth must have been Chesterfield Canal “Cuckoos”. I’ve heard they worked as far afield as Lincoln or even Boston but I didn’t know any went up north. 

I’m sure Cheshire Rose would like to know more when she catches up with this topic if you have any other info. 

I will ask Richard Allsopp what he knows about those vessels but as the title of the topic "Iron Boats" confused me a little as all the Chesterfield Boats were wooden

• 5 years later...