Beta Marine 38HP Alternator! Arrrgh!

Featured Posts

Hi guys

We had an engine service the other day, and was told that our 100amp leisure alternator has gone and needs replacing :(

We have got a few prices for new ones but I've also found a fitter who says that the Prestolite alternator is more reliable and is built for marine use. It's also got a slightly higher capactiy at 110 amp rather than Beta's 100 amp.

Aoparently, Nanni build very nice engines using the same base engine as Beta but fit the Marine Prestolite alternators at the factory and not Iskras.

What do you guys think. Any thoughts or opinions?

Is it OK to use a Prestolite one on a Beta engine, warranty issues etc???

:lol:

Funny Matt! He said that there was an alternative but not guaranteed - basically to refurbish it, but they could attempt to do that and then attempt to fit it and it maybe still not work .Also we weren't comfortable with that as when you start refurbishing things, they're never right anyway, so we wanted just to go with a new one.

Just wondeirng what do to for the best though. A genuine beta part is more expensive than another brand, and also an engineer (not the guy who did the service) has said that that the other brand is more reliable!

Is it OK to use a Prestolite one on a Beta engine, warranty issues etc???

If the engine is still under warranty, surely the alternator should be replaced under the warranty. If the warranty has expired then it doesn't matter if you fit a non-standard alternator.

Also, did you not notice a lack of charging? Are you sure the engineer is correct in his diagnosis (aka never believe what the first engineer tells you!)?

ETA nothing wrong with refurbishing an alternator. It would then work. The engineer sounds a bit suspicious to me.

Edited by nicknorman

Funny Matt! He said that there was an alternative but not guaranteed - basically to refurbish it, but they could attempt to do that and then attempt to fit it and it maybe still not work .Also we weren't comfortable with that as when you start refurbishing things, they're never right anyway, so we wanted just to go with a new one.

Just wondeirng what do to for the best though. A genuine beta part is more expensive than another brand, and also an engineer (not the guy who did the service) has said that that the other brand is more reliable!

A properly refurbished alternator is just as good as a new one,in fact that that goes for pretty well any items refurbed.

Ian.

Surprised you had not noticed it is was not working though!

The leisure alternator on our Beta went up in smoke (literally) when were out cruising last summer, only 7 years/1200 hours old. Luckily we are members of RCR and they dealt with it and got it rebuilt, at just the excess cost to us, nice one! Apparently it is not easy to replace with off the shelf ones, as the connectors on the alternator for the Beta charge controller are a bit different to normal. Only the engineers word for that though, but if you are replacing with a generic one, something to watch out for.

If the engine is still under warranty, surely the alternator should be replaced under the warranty. If the warranty has expired then it doesn't matter if you fit a non-standard alternator.

Also, did you not notice a lack of charging? Are you sure the engineer is correct in his diagnosis (aka never believe what the first engineer tells you!)?

ETA nothing wrong with refurbishing an alternator. It would then work. The engineer sounds a bit suspicious to me.

No, the engine isnt under warranty. Boat was built/engine fitted in 2006.

We did mention to the engineer we were having alternator problems as on the off chance we started the engine to check but nothing was showing on the Smartgauge (voltage increase etc)

Also, last time we were out in March we were having a few problems with it then, but did still manage to charge the batts. So we wanted to get it all sorted as we head out again on 1st June.

Thanks for the tips up , thinking I probably will go with the other branded one as this other engineer believes its better, he sounds quite gen and its a slightly better alternator at 110amps (current one is 100amps)

No, the engine isnt under warranty. Boat was built/engine fitted in 2006.

We did mention to the engineer we were having alternator problems as on the off chance we started the engine to check but nothing was showing on the Smartgauge (voltage increase etc)

Also, last time we were out in March we were having a few problems with it then, but did still manage to charge the batts. So we wanted to get it all sorted as we head out again on 1st June.

Thanks for the tips up , thinking I probably will go with the other branded one as this other engineer believes its better, he sounds quite gen and its a slightly better alternator at 110amps (current one is 100amps)

Hello

Before you commit your self to the new alternator have a talk to the people at Adesas

I have always found them very helpful and not silly money

Keith

• 6 years later...
1 minute ago, markmiller said:

Hi

Does anyone know how i check if my starter alternator is working on a beta 43.....alarm dosnt go out when boat reved up .

Thanks

Connect a voltmeter to your battery terminals - note voltage reading.

Leave meter connected.

Start engine

Note voltage reading

Rev engine - note voltage reading.

If the voltage increase the alternator is 'working', if no voltage increase then try connecting the + test lead onto the output of the alternator and the - test lead to 'earth', rev engine, if the voltage reading increases then the fault is between the battery and the alternator (Loose connection ?), it the voltage still does not increase the alternator is 'dead' and 'needs work'.

On 24/05/2012 at 18:25, lewisericeric said:

The original component may well be made in a third world country and put together by a badly paid production line worker as quickly as possible. The refurb might be done slowly and carefully by a person who has years and years of experience and depends upon satisfied customers and a good reputation. Some racing types buy brand new engines then immediately "refurbish" them to get a better engine!

................Dave

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Connect a voltmeter to your battery terminals - note voltage reading.

Leave meter connected.

Start engine

Note voltage reading

Rev engine - note voltage reading.

If the voltage increase the alternator is 'working', if no voltage increase then try connecting the + test lead onto the output of the alternator and the - test lead to 'earth', rev engine, if the voltage reading increases then the fault is between the battery and the alternator (Loose connection ?), it the voltage still does not increase the alternator is 'dead' and 'needs work'.

Silly question.....although the alarm will still go off.....can i still run the engine to charge my leisure batteries....my engi e has 2 x alternators....will it cause any damage ?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, markmiller said:

Silly question.....although the alarm will still go off.....can i still run the engine to charge my leisure batteries....my engi e has 2 x alternators....will it cause any damage ?

Thanks

Yes - no problem - except that if you are not charging the starter battery you will eventually not be able to start the engine.

You can overcome this if you put a jump-lead across from the leisure batteries so that the leisure alternator charges both. once the engine is stopped, disconnect the jump-lead so that your domestic usage does not draw from the starter battery.

The original B38 circa 2006 would have had a 40 amp alternator charging the starter battery and a 70 amp alternator charging the domestic, the 70 amp was later changed for a 100 amp alternator. Do you know if you have the Beta external regulator or not? If you do this sends the 12 V to excite the alternator and is a common cause of the alternator failing to charge the batteries. 

If the alternator is faulty you can buy a replacement directly from Iscra for about half the price that Beta charge.

Ken

I don't like the idea of an external booster regulator to increase the ongoing charge from an alternator, especially if its boxed in under a steel decked cruiser stern boat in the summer.  Poor old alternator gets overheated and bu...ered.

3 hours ago, KenK said:

The original B38 circa 2006 would have had a 40 amp alternator charging the starter battery and a 70 amp alternator charging the domestic, the 70 amp was later changed for a 100 amp alternator. Do you know if you have the Beta external regulator or not? If you do this sends the 12 V to excite the alternator and is a common cause of the alternator failing to charge the batteries. 

If the alternator is faulty you can buy a replacement directly from Iscra for about half the price that Beta charge.

Ken

Did you realise that you are responding to a 6 year old thread?