Drugs And Waterways

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

Well, I'm rather younger than 55, and I seem to have a vague recollection of going to University, and at no point in my formal education have I ever been taught set theory.

I should add that when I took Maths O-Level, set theory WAS part of the alternative "modern mathematics" sylabus, but I sat "traditional mathematics", and learned trigonometry instead.

Me too mate. SOHCAHTOA

Me too mate. SOHCAHTOA

Moi aussi - Maths came just after French!

But please explain your mnemonic SOHCAHTOA.

Mine was The Cat Sat On An Orange And Howled Horribly -

Written as

TCS

OAO

AHH

Think he's referring to the method for remembering how you work out the various bits of an angle? It's sine, cosine and something else which escapes me at the mo. I seem to remember the H is for hypotenuse? It's all Greek to me.

Think he's referring to the method for remembering how you work out the various bits of an angle? It's sine, cosine and something else which escapes me at the mo. I seem to remember the H is for hypotenuse? It's all Greek to me.

Wasn't SOHCAHTOA the new small island created after Krakatoa exploded?

SOH stands for Sine equals Opposite over Hypotenuse.

CAH stands for Cosine equals Adjacent over Hypotenuse.

TOA stands for Tangent equals Opposite over Adjacent.

Yes, I've got all that. S=Sine, C=Cosine, T=Tangent (thats the one you mislaid!)

O=Opposite, A=Adjacent, H=Hypotenuse.

But my question is, what does SOHCAHTOA stand for?

-And why do I care in these days of calculators and computers? Works of the devil!:rolleyes:

I support students with Special Needs to enable them to take their GCSEs.

GCSE Foundation Level Maths. Question 1) Draw a line 9 cm long. Question 2) Make a mark x half way along it.

And this is the paper ALL students doing Foundation Level take, not just those with Special Needs! :banghead:

Have you created a mnemonic to help them with this?

No, but the first question is usually "Miss! Miss! Can I borrow a ruler?"

ETA Don't know what this has to do with drugs, other than the fact that I could do with some after a session like that!

Edited by Leni

Is there any truth in the belief that cannabis use makes you paranoid ? in my day rough cider was stronger cheaper and easier to get and also quicker acting. It could also make you nasty if you were so minded. Responsible for poor road crossing skills [fatal] and removal of most of someones stomach [survivable but not for long] Having presented a bottle of homemade cider to a fellow boater who gave me a hand with a heavy swing bridge I wonder if it really was a kindness or an attempt to lead him into danger.

Is there any truth in the belief that cannabis use makes you paranoid ?

Who told you that? I didn't tell you that. Why are you going round telling people that I said that? Have you been eavesdropping on my private conversations? Who are you working for and what do they want with me?

I don't know anyone who snorts cocaine

This isn't intended as an attack Ange; but your post illustrates really nicely how entrenched attitudes overwhelm evidence in these matters.

Cocaine's got a really ad reputation thanks to the US, however if you remember when Prof Trevor Nutt left whichever council he left there were three suggestions, only two of which hit the press because of vested interests...

Cocaine down to class B where cannabis is now.

Ecstasy down with it.

Both because there was no evidence of any physical addiction.

And... benzodiazepenes (valium, temazepam et al) to class A because there is evidence of physical addiction.

Of course, reclassifying coke would not be a vote winner and putting benzos beyond use would hurt the big pharma party donors. So much for evidence based policy eh?

They also discussed pushing amphetamine up and I'd suspect the big pharma had a hand in that, but dexedrine is quite widely prescribed for attention disorders in children and is still provided to the forces so the consequences of effectively banning a kiddies & squaddies drug may have influenced that. That's merely speculation on my part though.

[rant] we shouldn't forget in discussion of cannabis use that hemp was banned for recreational use in the US (and thereafter the rest of the western world) on the back of the big cotton producers lobbying for their product, as opposed to hemp, being used in shipping. And.. look... it makes them lazy & giggle it must be evil! [/rant]

Edited by Smelly

I actually read this as

"Is there any truth in the belief that canal use makes you paranoid?"
the first time around, and when I did, suddenly a lot of things I see on this board started to make sense (until I realised my error.)

Only half kidding. :blush:

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 2

Who told you that? I didn't tell you that. Why are you going round telling people that I said that? Have you been eavesdropping on my private conversations? Who are you working for and what do they want with me?

Just because you are not paranoid does not mean they are not out get you! (Confused? You soon will be!! :cheers:)

This isn't intended as an attack Ange; but your post illustrates really nicely how entrenched attitudes overwhelm evidence in these matters.

I take your point totally Smelly! It's always made me ratty that ill informed people bracket cannabis smokers with, for example, heroin users. That's the point I was trying to make - the "all drugs are bad" brigade sit with a glass of wine in one hand and a cigarette in the other and feel holier than thou just because they don't indulge in substances that our rather random laws have deemed bad whilst abuse of alcohol causes massive harm to our society.

I've inadvertently fallen into the same trap by bracketing cocaine users with heroine users just because both are outside my personal experience and my perception is based on media reporting. Lazy I know, I should do more research before making pronouncements :blush:

(I didn't go to uni and I'm under 55, is that why I'm still baffled as to why Chris quoted my post when he mentioned sets! Apologies if it's obvious)

Wasn't SOHCAHTOA the new small island created after Krakatoa exploded?

SOH stands for Sine equals Opposite over Hypotenuse.

CAH stands for Cosine equals Adjacent over Hypotenuse.

TOA stands for Tangent equals Opposite over Adjacent.

Full marks :)

Where the danger lies is in the canals being transformed from a traditionally quiet, secluded, peaceful environment to a noisy, inconsiderate, urban experience.

Speaking personally, the reason I bought a boat in the first place was to escape from the sort of stress you find in so many flats. I lived through it for ages till I decided on alternatives. I had periods where I couldn't sleep due to all night parties, noise, music till the early hours and so on.

To clarify the point even more, this isn't specifically a dig at drugs. I don't mind drugs so long as it's not forced down my own throat and confined to private gatherings in the privacy of the home and so on.

What separates the waterways and everywhere else ? You can get what you want where you want if you are looking. I don't think that owning a boat excludes or includes you from anything that isn't happening elsewhere.

I would sooner boat with someone who has had a spliff than spend a second in the company of some coked up banker.

Maybe it's time to legalise all drugs so that we can separate the problems from the misconceptions.

I don't mind drugs so long as it's not forced down my own throat

That image is somewhat mind boggling :unsure:

And there was me thinking you were just trying to 'smoke' ( :rolleyes: ) out the users, so you knew who to approach when you wanted to 'score' B)

;)

That's the point I was trying to make - the "all drugs are bad" brigade sit with a glass of wine in one hand and a cigarette in the other and feel holier than thou just because they don't indulge in substances that our rather random laws have deemed bad whilst abuse of alcohol causes massive harm to our society.

So which ones are good then... and why?

Have you tried chamomile tea?

Hey Carl, my mum drinks that stuff. I tried some and to me it was like drinking a cup of privit. The only one I like is rosehip.

Still can't get my head round the illeagality of a plant.:wacko:

One part of the government that takes a huge cut of every pack of fags you buy, is telling you not to buy them! What's that all about then?:blink:

I could hack everything they are doing about deterring people from smoking if there wasn't such a whacking tax on nicotine. Why do you think the patches are so much? Yeh, tax!

Tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax .............

Guest wanted

Cocaine's got a really ad reputation thanks to the US, however if you remember when Prof Trevor Nutt left whichever council he left there were three suggestions, only two of which hit the press because of vested interests...

Cocaine down to class B where cannabis is now.

Ecstasy down with it.

Both because there was no evidence of any physical addiction.

And... benzodiazepenes (valium, temazepam et al) to class A because there is evidence of physical addiction.

Of course, reclassifying coke would not be a vote winner and putting benzos beyond use would hurt the big pharma party donors. So much for evidence based policy eh?

They also discussed pushing amphetamine up and I'd suspect the big pharma had a hand in that, but dexedrine is quite widely prescribed for attention disorders in children and is still provided to the forces so the consequences of effectively banning a kiddies & squaddies drug may have influenced that. That's merely speculation on my part though.

[rant] we shouldn't forget in discussion of cannabis use that hemp was banned for recreational use in the US (and thereafter the rest of the western world) on the back of the big cotton producers lobbying for their product, as opposed to hemp, being used in shipping. And.. look... it makes them lazy & giggle it must be evil! [/rant]

But but but, the weed or hash of old is almost a distant memory, most of the kids I work with wouldn't know what to do with a lump of charis and have probably never seen a chilum. The hyroponically grown silly skunk is having huge effects on some of them, kids getting really lairy when they smoke is a relatively new thing but is none the less real. I agree with the coke thing but we can't dismise the route it takes from production to hooter. I know some fall out Totnes hippies that denounce starbucks but embrace the sniff, another good reason to legalise?