Dogdirt Capital of the canals

nicknorman

Featured Posts

I vote for Hopwas on the northern reaches of the Coventry (OK, B&F to the purists!). A nice village with a couple of nice canalside pubs, and lovely woods just to the North. But whenever we pass (which is frequently, since our marina is only 1 hr away) any time of the day there is a never ending procession of doggers (that is dog walkers to those not fans of Jennifer Saunders). Whilst I suspect many do clear their recycled petfood up in little bags, it seems a lot don't. We stopped there at Christmas and found 10 separate piles just in the length of our boat. We moved on! Yesterday we observed an Alsatian dumping its Pedigree Chum in full view of its owner between path and piling. We chugged into the distance and watched her as she carefully plucked some fresh grass from nearby and placed it over the poo, presumbaly thinking "out of sight, out of mind" but in fact camoflaging it for the next unsuspecting boater to tread on as he alights in what could otherwise be a very nice mooring spot.

What other potentially pleasant mooring spots are spoiled by being dog sewage stations?

Why do people put this stuff in bags anyway? Seemingly Invariably (though there must be some exceptions) the bags then get hurled into bushes and trees to hang there in perpetuity like some sick Christmas bauble. Shitmas bauble.

It bugs me everywhere I go... Little bags of dog poo. Why????

David

Edited by G4YVM

When we were out in April, I was gobsmacked at the number of people who purposefully ignored - or didn't bother to look at - their dog crapping. And then there were those who made a point (having seen us coming and me watching) of patting their pockets and turning round as though they were going to take some action but clearly weren't.

I wish there was a safe and soft catapult-type thing that could lob a great splodge of yellow painty stuff right onto them as they walked off and for it be widely known what such a marking meant. Or perhaps all caught offenders could be required to wear an A-Board "I Believed In A Dog Poo Fairy" :angry2:

Invariably the bags then get hurled into bushes and trees....

Invariably??

What rubbish! I bag my dog's waste in a compostable bag then dispose of it appropriately.

Don't just assume that, because some people are not responsible dog owners, we are all like that.

• Greenie 3

I wish there was a safe and soft catapult-type thing that could lob a great splodge of yellow painty stuff right onto them as they walked off and for it be widely known what such a marking meant.

When I started to read that, I thought you were going to advocate catapulting the actual dog poo back at them!

Aha - a useful task for C&RT volunteers - they could be supplied with video cameras and sneak around catching owners in the non-act of clearing up after their defacating furry food processors. Maybe give them black full length macs and funny hats, they could then jump out from behind a tree, throw open their coats to reveal the camera recording gear and shout "Gotcha" or the like. Even if no sucessful prosecution followed, it might scare the owners into not coming back!

When I started to read that, I thought you were going to advocate catapulting the actual dog poo back at them!

Perhaps with a cheery .... "Heloooo .... excuse me ... I think one of you dropped this????"! :D

Invariably??

What rubbish! I bag my dog's waste in a compostable bag then dispose of it appropriately.

Don't just assume that, because some people are not responsible dog owners, we are all like that.

Here ,here ,the wife used to work for RSPCA and spent a lot of time photographing dogs pooing and owners walking off ,Btw i got told off yest for ' bad language ' on here , and now there is 'bad language' in the title of this thread , of course the mods cant be everywhere all the time !

Perhaps with a cheery .... "Heloooo .... excuse me ... I think one of you dropped this????"! :D

I have often offered a bag to someone who, seemingly, had forgotten to bring theirs.

They usually thank me and pick it up but I've been told to 'clear' off a couple of times, too.

I expect that some of it gets thrown into the bushes as soon as I am out of sight but that is the advantage of compostable bags...It's off the path and in about a month the bag will have gone too.

Btw i got told off yest for ' bad language ' on here , and now there is 'bad language' in the title of this thread

Ooops! Better edit my post too, then. B)

Edited by carlt

I have seldom seen a more blatant example than when we boated down Hatton on Saturday.

Young couple, one kid in tow, one in pushchair and a rather nice looking Labrador.

Woman leading Lab was clearly completely aware it was emptying itself immediately next to the children's play area, and put up a very unconvincing act of "not noticing", even though she had to pause some time to let it do so.

I suppose it was the fact she had kids in tow, but still though her dog crapping next to a kid's play area was acceptable that particularly got my goat.

I'm still angry with myself I didn't say anything, (although was on the boat, complete with noisy HA3, motoring away from it at the time). I wished immediately after that I had made her very aware I was not fooled by her act. I have vowed next time I see something so blatant I will not be so spineless, and will make my feelings known.

I vote for Hopwas on the northern reaches of the Coventry (OK, B&F to the purists!). A nice village with a couple of nice canalside pubs, and lovely woods just to the North. But whenever we pass (which is frequently, since our marina is only 1 hr away) any time of the day there is a never ending procession of doggers (that is dog walkers to those not fans of Jennifer Saunders). Whilst I suspect many do clear their recycled petfood up in little bags, it seems a lot don't. We stopped there at Christmas and found 10 separate piles just in the length of our boat. We moved on! Yesterday we observed an Alsatian dumping its Pedigree Chum in full view of its owner between path and piling. We chugged into the distance and watched her as she carefully plucked some fresh grass from nearby and placed it over the poo, presumbaly thinking "out of sight, out of mind" but in fact camoflaging it for the next unsuspecting boater to tread on as he alights in what could otherwise be a very nice mooring spot.

What other potentially pleasant mooring spots are spoiled by being dog sewage stations?

Strange. I thought is was Polesworth in the same canal.

Most places have a fine of up to £1,000 for this crime. A few well-reported cases of maximum fine being applied might concentrate the minds of those who think it is ok to leave crap everywhere.

You're a mind-reader, the self-same thought had just occurred to me!

Jo, be fair, if you're having a pony do you like a dog to be watching you?

I do firmly agree that it is wrong to tar all dog owners with the same label.

If a place is used regularly for dog-walking, and even 10% don't pick up it can still get very sordid indeed, but that doesn't mean 90% of other owners are not being responsible.

This will probably be controversial, but in our travels from about as far South as the Thames to about as far north as Middlewich / Northwich, I would say that the whole problem is much worse in the North of that area than in the South. Neither is perfect, of course, but on places like the Middlewich branch, and the Shroppie main line I have skidded around on it in far greater quantities than we tend to get down here.

Some will disagree on my North/South divide, no doubt, but we do a fair amount of boating, and every time we go further North to places like the otherwise beautiful "Four Counties" we always note a lot more uncollected dog crap.

Why do people put this stuff in bags anyway? Seemingly Invariably (though there must be some exceptions) the bags then get hurled into bushes and trees to hang there in perpetuity like some sick Christmas bauble. Shitmas bauble.

It bugs me everywhere I go... Little bags of dog poo. Why????

David

There are laminated signs stuck to trees and fences along the towpath near Nantwich; purple, with a tinkerbelle like fairy flying off with a little bag. The sign says "There is no such thing as the dog-poo fairy". I've not noticed a lot of the stuff around there lately so perhaps the signs work.

Invariably??

Strange how some people use the word "invariably" when they mean "often".

N