Is *anyone* going to Braunston this year?

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Thanks for the lift to the pub Alan! :cheers:

Had loads a fun at Braunston today and the weather behaved like a perfect gentleman. :) Tree Monkey and I met the Moomins and Chertsey. Had a nosey round Reg courtesy of Mike the Boilerman and Starcoaster. Good to see Monsieur and Madame Fincher aboard Sickle again. And met Matty again (I think for the first time since the Christmas banter in Loughborough) and met Kathleen Bridget for the firstest ever time too! All topped off with a rocking (in more ways than one) trip on Sickle with the Towcesties and half the rest of Braunston! Excellent fun. Same I can't be there tomorrow too. Hope the weather holds out for you Sunday trippers. Enjoy. :boat:

Moored just outside Braunston, lovely quiet spot. Walked in, great atmosphere. Good to see such a fabulous collection of boats. The enthusiasm and hard work in getting here and keeping these boats looking so well is such a pleasure.

Bullfinch is going to have its Sabb engine looked over by Mr. Hewitt at UCC on Monday. Give us wave as we pass if you are still there.

Some videos of Saturday here :-

Hmm, being talked into steering Chertsey for the parade having never steered her before was possibly brave, and possibly foolhardy. It turned out alright, apart from needing two bites at the left turn out of the marina (and getting a round of applause for the recovery). We do look scarily close to the model narrowboat on the way back in though......

MP.

ETA Thanks to Chertsey (the person, not the boat) for her level-headed co-piloting, and Starcoaster for the gift of a car-parking pass.

Edited by MoominPapa

Absolutely brilliant weekend! Got some great pictures which I'll post later.

Recognised a load of you but didn't say hello as figured you probably wouldn't recognise me, maybe next year!

Chertsey's cat is lovely!!

CHERTSEY's Petter sounded nice, and well done that novice(?) steerer. Try and keep your hands off the brass, it's the wooden peg that's meant for the hands!! Next round of brass polishing is yours!! ;)

Looks like a great day all round.

Edited to add:

Though I wasn't there, I did spot a nice Tilley Gaurdsman in CHERTSEY's engine'ole. Definitely one of the better ones.

Edited by Derek R.

Try and keep your hands off the brass, it's the wooden peg that's meant for the hands!!

I'm ashamed to say the the only bit of Melaleuca's tiller which is even vaguely shiny is the bit next to the handle which I touch. I've resolved to polish it and then not touch it when I'm steering. They were nice enough not to make me polish Chertsey's.

MP.

Absolutely brilliant weekend! Got some great pictures which I'll post later.

Recognised a load of you but didn't say hello as figured you probably wouldn't recognise me, maybe next year!

Chertsey's cat is lovely!!

Most of us were once in the position that we had to introduce ourselves to other boaters. I remember our first Braunston, in 2008, long before we bought Sickle, and before we knew more than one or two people there. We spent time saying 'Oh, look, that's .....', but not introducing ourselves. ("I think that's 'Warrior Woman' on the back of that boat, her name is Sarah."). :rolleyes:

We've mostly met over the Internet, without our 'real' names, so you have to just march up and say 'Hi, I'm, .... I'm known as .... on the forum'. We met loads of people for the first time this year.

We are there to talk to other people, almost as much as we are there to go and play with display old boats.

Please introduce yourself next time.

I agree, Chertsey's cat is lovely.

Cheers

Cath

Not mentioned so far is that "Hampton" owned by forum member "Koukouvagia", (or I think more accurately his son), was celebrating being 100 years old.

I think it was Tim's first Braunston - he looks relaxed enough!

IMG_2358.jpg

Cath was able to take a picture of "Sickle" on the move, because she didn't realise we were about to be told to head off, so I had to go without her!

DSCF6213.jpg

Reversing around Braunston Turn - I was too quick and had to wait for Vesta.....

DSCF6224.jpg

Snap! I only chatted to one member(Jeannette Smith Harrison), saw a few others(mainly on their boats) but wasn't quick enough to say hi to some others. Next time I definitely will. So it's a belated hi to Starcoaster, Mike the Boilerman and Sarah(Chertsey).

From the weird beard in the rainbow coat!

Mark and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment at Braunston.I spoke to lots of people and did not get any names so thank-you to everyone for making us feel part of the 'family' on this our 2nd rally. Having seen photos of Carnaby it must be cloth off next year,weather permitting. We are boating to Stratford in July so give us a wave if you see us as we may be on route to the pub!!

Having seen photos of Carnaby it must be cloth off next year,weather permitting.

Well, as you have been prepared to say it yourself, whilst no doubt practical, the cloths don't "feel" right to me.

Mind you, I boat around with 18 feet of completely authentic, but totally non watertight planked tug deck, in a bid to retain "authenticity".

So,metimes I think it would be nice to use that space other than for things I don't mind if they get totally wet!

Carnaby looking good in her new paint, none-the-less.

(Rex Wain) Errm, Alan, actually!....... (With apologies to those who have no idea what that is about!.....)

Nice can ;)

Indeed, but I hope the painter is not too upset if it can be seen it has acquired more than afew chips already........

Hopefully she will be pleased it is actually in use and on display, though!

Indeed, but I hope the painter is not too upset if it can be seen it has acquired more than afew chips already........

Hopefully she will be pleased it is actually in use and on display, though!

She was amused to find a teapot that she had painted, probably many years ago, on a canal society stand in Northwich yesterday - they were asking a lot more than she had sold it for :rolleyes:

Tim

Does she do commissions? I happen to know where there is a can (or is it two? - i've forgotten) in need of painting!!

She's more or less retired, but isn't averse to doing the occasional job. I'll ask.

Tim

Last batch of videos :-

and

I trust you all get back to base safely. :cheers:

Thanks for posting these videos. I think I have seen more of the parade from this year sitting here in Canada then I did last year steering the boat. Was nice to see the boat even if I was not on it. :rolleyes: