TapaTalk?

Featured Posts

On a more serious note. Money minding hat on.

Is tapatalk free?  If not, we need to think where the money would come from.  The forum does not usually cover its monthly costs from donations each month so we periodically have to have a fundraising campaign to do what we do now. If  tapatalk were to increase costs we would need to fundraise more frequently.   That might be counterproductive.

N

35 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Is tapatalk free?  If not, we need to think where the money would come from.  The forum does not usually cover its monthly costs from donations each month so we periodically have to have a fundraising campaign to do what we do now. If  tapatalk were to increase costs we would need to fundraise more frequently.   That might be counterproductive.

N

I worry about one app (ie tapatalk) having access to all your log in details for multiple forums and then using that info for other purposes. I am sure some people use the same password on multiple sites so having access to a range of forum details could allow various agencies to guess access to more important stuff. Tapatalk isnt Russian, is it?

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

No one has yet explained the benefits that Tapatalk may offer.

Without this information I find it impossible to come to a decision.

Even the website doesn't seem to spell out properly what it does for us end users.

It seems to be one single interface on your phone that gives you access to all the various discussion forums you regularly use. Why one needs such a thing is beyond me, even if you regularly visit several forums.  

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Even the website doesn't seem to spell out properly what it does for us end users.

It seems to be one single interface on your phone that gives you access to all the various discussion forums you regularly use. Why one needs such a thing is beyond me, even if you regularly visit several forums.  

Thanks Mike. Looks that's another app I don't need then.

Hmm.

1. Have joined other fora with Tapatalk enabled, didn't receive any sign up requests. I only found they were enabled and this wasn't when I tried tapatalk.

2. You can use the app or not, your choice. When you have the app you can use the app or browser to view fora.

3. I like it because I can post photos direct from phone, no messing with hosting, uploading etc. Its why I want to use it, along side the browser version.

4. We'd still be using our teeth to chop wood and walking on all fours if those wary of new any ideas had their way.

Confused by modernization? Aw bless!

5. Have some stray apostrophe's t'o argue' o'ver. That'll keep the whinger's happy. 

6. Alert the original poster? Where did that come from? They'll get an alert Shirley. If they are alive after 6 years. Still, it's an excuse to be picky eh?

Just get in with the job, load up the forum plugin and them as wants to can use it. Or use up oxygen and the planets resources arguing.

Edited by Jim Riley
Spelling alteration before the Pedant's pounce.

2 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Hmm.

1. Have joined other fora with Tapatalk enabled, didn't receive any sign up requests. I only found they were enabled and this wasn't when I tried tapatalk.

2. You can use the app or not, your choice. When you have the app you can use the app or browser to view fora.

3. I like it because I can post photos direct from phone, no messing with hosting, uploading etc. Its why I want to use it, along side the browser version.

4. We'd still be using our teeth to chop wood and walking on all fours if those wary of new any ideas had there way.

5. Have some stray apostrophe's t'o argue' o'ver. That'll keep the whinger's happy. 

6. Alert the original poster? Where did that come from? They'll get an alert Shirley. If they are alive after 6 years. Still, it's an excuse to be picky eh?

Just get in with the job, load up the forum plugin and them as wants to can use it. Or use up oxygen and the planets resources arguing.

Does it make toast?

• Greenie 1

On 19/03/2018 at 09:41, BEngo said:

N

Plugin for fora is free, stated earlier in the thread.

8 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Hmm.

4. We'd still be using our teeth to chop wood and walking on all fours if those wary of new any ideas had their way.

Downloaded it for another forum I use, found it pointless with some odd limitations on how I use the forum.

Removed it from my phone, oddly pointless app. In my opinion

Does it make toast?

No not quite enough heat generated. It will drive an ecofan. Did I tell you how good they are?

Edited by Jim Riley
cos I can
  • Happy 1

47 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Downloaded it for another forum I use, found it pointless with some odd limitations on how I use the forum.

Removed it from my phone, oddly pointless app. In my opinion

Same here. Tits on a boar pig.

Lots of folk appear to use it though ("sent from my fancy phone using Tapatalk") so someone must be finding it helpful in some way.

3 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Hmm.

Ooo look, that rare thing a satisfied TapaTalk user.

You should be stuffed and mounted. 

On 20/03/2018 at 16:24, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ooo look, that rare thing a satisfied TapaTalk user.

You should be stuffed and mounted. 

You'll have to bring a box to stand on to mount and stuff me. Cheeky boy!

• 3 weeks later...

Someone asked about the benefits, for me it's to be able to post pics on various fora without having to host them, TapaTalk does it. 

What bugs me though, is the dog in a manger attitude. "I'm a grumpy old has been, can't see the point, no use to me and my tin cans and string, so no one can have it." 

6 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Someone asked about the benefits, for me it's to be able to post pics on various fora without having to host them, TapaTalk does it. 

What bugs me though, is the dog in a manger attitude. "I'm a grumpy old has been, can't see the point, no use to me and my tin cans and string, so no one can have it." 

If you are happy to create a constructive public poll highlighting both the pros and cons with yes/no/abstain options, we can take it from there. I personally am in favour of it but it would perhaps be better to let the community decide via a poll before we look at implementing it. 

Cheers

Rich

49 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

I've tried it and didn't see any point to it, I AM a grumpy old has been but not in this case :)

16 hours ago, RichM said:

If you are happy to create a constructive public poll highlighting both the pros and cons with yes/no/abstain options, we can take it from there. I personally am in favour of it but it would perhaps be better to let the community decide via a poll before we look at implementing it. 

Cheers

Rich

However, why should those who have no use for it prevent those who do using it. It has no impact (possibly one message as mentioned earlier) on those who have no wish to use it, hence my Dog in a manger allusion.

Calling for referenda on everything can have unfortunate consequences, as Dave Cameron found out to his cost.