Gleniffer Model RB reversing gearbox

RLWP

Featured Posts

<snip>

I guess this is OK in a marine application, but if used in a vehicle I would have thought there would be scope for impact damage to the load bearing faces of individual teeth, which would then affect the smooth running of the gearbox.

David

This has been bugging me since you posted it. From what I remember, this what an automatic box in a car does, or does the clutch lock the spider to the planet gear - even then, what drives the sun gear

Richard

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Richard and those who host and contribute to this forum.

I have twin Gardner 6L3's fitted with Glenniffer reversing gears (the type fitted to the DB and DC series.) and appreciate any and all cutaway drawings,illustrations showing parts breakdowns, or other technical specifications or drawings to assist in rebuilding them.

As I am located in the U.S. in the Puget Sound, getting info for this fine machinery has been very difficult for me.

The previous owner had these gearboxes rebuilt, and when we went to install them, we did not know that the input and output flanges had been reversed on both boxes. With no drawings or instructions we unwittingly mounted them in backwards, hence the need for a fresh rebuild.

These boxes will work when installed backwards, but slip a great deal when the RPM is brought up. Unfortunately this led to a not so happily ending first voyage after the rebuild...

I am sure i will be coming back to you (especially Richard,) as I get into the boxes this coming winter.

Vinnie,

if you PM me an email address that's good for attachments, I can send the pdf's of the gearbox manaul I sent to Mike last year.

Colin

Super Vinnie needs to have another 4 (not in the virtual pub) posts before the PM system will let him use it.

N

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Colin,

i will certainly take you up on the offer. Owning this boat with all her fine pre-war British machinery has been a steep learning curve, especially here in the states where a good support system of knowledgeable motorheads for this stuff is sparse at best. I think I am now the local expert on Whitworth threads....

My friend Slim Gardner, owner of the sistership to our Fifer, has been a very good help, as welll as the handfull of other enthusiasts in the Classic Yacht Association. However, when it comes to detailed advice, sourcing spares, etc., we all lean heavily on our friends in Blighty, especially those of you in the community there who are documenting and keeping this machinery alive. It means a lot to us on this side of the pond working to keep these old boats and machinery alive.

This past fall we got to go see a local private collection of machinery, and it was striking how advanced the pre-war British diesels (oil compression engines,) in particular were as compared to for example, an American "Atlas diesel" of the same era, and for economy and relaiability I would not trade my 6l3's even for the modern gear.

R/-Vince

• 9 years later...

In an attempt to revive this thread, attached is a cleaned up version of the scan I got from Colin years ago. I will be happy to provide in a word document to anyone interested

I am finally getting serious about rebuilding the two Glennifer RB Gearboxes in Fifer, and will post more material as I proceed.

For context, here is Fifer's page: www.yachtfifer1928.com, and for more regular updates see yachtfifer1928 on Instagram.

She has twin Gardner 6L3's, coupled to the Glennifer RB's

Glennifer Transcribed.pdf

11 hours ago, MtB said:

My Gleniffer gearbox has jammed itself permanently in "AHEAD", for the second time in ten years.

Fortunately I have a second reversing gear under the floor in the back cabin!! 

It's getting good at that!

Richard

This is the RB (R for reduction). I have a DB (direct) sat in the shed which came from Tim Leech in bits. It's essentially the whole of the main box but without the reduction part on the end. I never have figured out what the adaptor plate was to bolt on to - Tim reckoned it was wartime and went on a Kelvin but I haven't ever confirmed this. I also have a photocopy of the DC manual which appears to be just post-war.

Alec

Edited by agg221

• 4 weeks later...