Brum Tugs?

kevy19

Featured Posts

If the engine's under the counter with belt/chain drive down to the prop, how on earth do you get to the weed hatch -- surely it's right under the engine?

I alsoguess that a normal inline engine with accessories would be too tall, so what engine was/is fitted?

There is a weed hatch and cabin access to the engine.

sam_0981.jpg

sam_0989.jpg

sam_0988.jpg

So is this a special "low height" engine -- and if so, what? It doesn't look like you could get a "normal" one in.

It also looks like maintenance access could be difficult. Is there also more noise both on deck and in the cabin?

I can see the advantage in terms of space for a trad stern, but there do seem to be several disadvantages as a consequence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all

Two years ago i bought a Brum Tug she is called Laura Tug no.10 registered no.76286 built 1983, she also was at Furness Vale for a long time, we now have a mooring in Gayton marina, on our travels we have seen two other Brum tug's Asti was at Whilton locks,and Tug no.9 was up for sale at Sutton Stop recently.

Geordie 2 cool.gif

I FITTED OUT TUG No 10 WHEN NEW. CONTACT ME IF YOU LIKE WWWFORDPOP@AOL.COM GRAHAM WHITE.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

There is a weed hatch and cabin access to the engine.

sam_0981.jpg

sam_0989.jpg

sam_0988.jpg

Is that a water intake from the weed hatch that I can see? Theodora (ex Kingswood Lady) has a mud box on the port side taking water from the canal through twenty or so holes drill through the side of the boat.

Nick

• 9 months later...

Hi every one sometime since I have been here but thanks to every one that posted items about Brum Tugs really interesting! Thank you to every one that posted re my first post.
I have been working on mine "Bullock Smithy" I have the original Brumagem Boats Agreement for construction mine was Contract No 000035 Identification No BT15 I'm not sure you call mine a true Brum Tug as it is the full cabin version and was built as this! this agreement was signed on the 05/051983. Finnish date was given as Early April 1984.

Just had it professionally stripped right back and repainted so looking a whole lot better! I have kept the inside as was as it seems much as it was built just re plumbed and re wiring as that's all a bit hit a miss after all these years!
Thanks again Kev.

Have been trying to add a picture but gave up thought I could do it straight from the computer now but it just gives me the old way re posting via a URL link!

post-16004-0-04792600-1478253301_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevy19
  • Greenie 1

Hi every one sometime since I have been here but thanks to every one that posted items about Brum Tugs really interesting! Thank you to every one that posted re my first post.

I have been working on mine "Bullock Smithy" I have the original Brumagem Boats Agreement for construction mine was Contract No 000035 Identification No BT15 I'm not sure you call mine a true Brum Tug as it is the full cabin version and was built as this! this agreement was signed on the 05/051983. Finnish date was given as Early April 1984.

Just had it professionally stripped right back and repainted so looking a whole lot better! I have kept the inside as was as it seems much as it was built just re plumbed and re wiring as that's all a bit hit a miss after all these years!

Thanks again Kev.

Have been trying to add a picture but gave up thought I could do it straight from the computer now but it just gives me the old way re posting via a URL link!

attachicon.gifP9303271.JPG

Fab

:)

It brings me in mind of the full length cabin Brumtug " City of Birmingham " built to support Birmingham's Olympic bid and taken to Canada in a container for Expo 86. I was responsible for the lettering, decoration and signwriting on the boat, I've not seen it for years. Spent many happy hours on Tug No 14, the one before yours. Ah, memories!!

Dave

My cousin had Brumtug number 13, "Ibis", from new and it was the boat I did all my early boating on. A wonderful experience, with a Vetus 3.10 pointing forwards with the drive belt system. This worked very well but it was worth keeping a couple of spare belts just in case.

The raw water cooling could be a pain and one needed to keep an eye on the amount of water coming out the exhaust, but I did get very good at cleaning the strainer whilst still on the move.

I wonder where Ibis is now?

I viewed IBIS in May this year at Isis Marina, Oxford. The owner was selling after several years of infrequent use. He was asking £8500 for it.

It was somewhat neglected, but still quite serviceable. He had bought the boat from the previous owner, for £5000, who had allowed rainwater to flood inside the boat.

There was evidence of significant rusting on the inside of the base plate, so I decided not to purchase. The boat was ballasted with several blocks of concrete, which I found a bit odd. He had covered most of the inside with white paint and reupholstered in a shock pink fabric it looked a bit of a mess.

The boat had been lengthened by about 4' at some point.

The Vetus engine proved quite effective, though I understand the band device had failed at some point requiring a significant rebuild of the pully support and wheels.

The boat, I believe, was sold to another person soon after my viewing.

• 6 years later...

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. OP hasn't been on here in a couple of years but have only just seen the posts. I remember Bullock Smithy when new at New Mills marina. We bought a 20' GRP faux narrowboat off the owner, his previous boat that he had built from an old hull and fitted out very competently. Bullock Smithy was a lovely boat and judging by the post from 2016 still is. The little GRP boat we bought had a most odd name, Raspertum. When we asked him what it meant, he replied that they'd had a few ales and just mixed up some Scrabble letters, it was a made up name.

• Greenie 1